MinaTakla

Tuesday #s: SS: $2.69m, WD: $1.92m, KatTS: $1.52m, PD: $1.48m, BH: $1.36m

41 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

I guess you have been falling the box office that much this year. This year is all feast or famine. There are record-breaking films that are grossing billions of dollars or over 300 million dollars. But there's none of those smaller films that have done between 200 and 299 million dollars. Usually by this time of year there are around 5-8 of them. This year there are none.

All of those $200m movies are now $300m movies.

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

All of those $200m movies are now $300m movies.

Ninja Turtles, Star Trek, Bourne, Independence Day, Ghostbusters, X-Men etc.  all underperformed.  They should have hit the mark.  Some will be okay with their OS numbers. Some are losing massive amounts of money.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

So is Fantastic Beasts a Harry Potter movie? Does have a big following like HP did?

Fantastic Beasts was mentioned as a textbook used by students in the HP universe, but the book and the movie have not much in common.

The story of the movie is scripted by Rowling (or so WB markets it as. I guess she had a big influence) just for the movie I think and is original/inspired by the book.

So FB itself does not have a big loyal following like the HP movies did, but being from the HP universe will attract everyone starving for anything related to the magical world.

Rowling's name will be fully marketed. Opening should be big I guess, safe to put it above 200+.

Beginning of the year I was rooting for 300+. Even have a 'FB over HOBBIT 1 dom/os/ww' club, as both FB and HOBBIT are spinoffs/prequels to a fantasy/adventure franchise released during a similar time, but after the teaser and trailer feel a little less energetic about it.

Hoping for 250 and a big OS gross.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Ninja Turtles, Star Trek, Bourne, Independence Day, Ghostbusters, X-Men etc.  all underperformed.  They should have hit the mark.  Some will be okay with their OS numbers. Some are losing massive amounts of money.

I think you nailed it here.  I guess you could make a case for a couple that were iffy but all were good candidates.

27 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Fantastic Beasts was mentioned as a textbook used by students in the HP universe, but the book and the movie have not much in common.

The story of the movie is scripted by Rowling (or so WB markets it as. I guess she had a big influence) just for the movie I think and is original/inspired by the book.

So FB itself does not have a big loyal following like the HP movies did, but being from the HP universe will attract everyone starving for anything related to the magical world.

Rowling's name will be fully marketed. Opening should be big I guess, safe to put it above 200+.

Beginning of the year I was rooting for 300+. Even have a 'FB over HOBBIT 1 dom/os/ww' club, as both FB and HOBBIT are spinoffs/prequels to a fantasy/adventure franchise released during a similar time, but after the teaser and trailer feel a little less energetic about it.

Hoping for 250 and a big OS gross.

Ah thanks.  I enjoyed Potters box office run. I have never seen a single movie though. But the fever those movies generated from fans. There was always excitement. I don't think we've seen anything like it with 8(?) continuous installments.

26 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Its been a rather whatever year.

By now CW would be in 5th place WW last year. 

Last year an articles came out saying Hollywood was gonna take a dip this year.

I really believe This is the reason  for these low Multiplier's for the bigger movies.

Edited by Brainiac5

9 hours ago, ecstasy said:

Ah thanks.  I enjoyed Potters box office run. I have never seen a single movie though. But the fever those movies generated from fans. There was always excitement. I don't think we've seen anything like it with 8(?) continuous installments.

Yeah, 8 movies in just 10 years with very consistent bo. 

Exchange rates make OS comp tough but at Dom, HP4,5,6,7 were all close to each other with a range of 290-302. (290,292,302,296)

HP8 introduced 3D so got away ahead with 380m, else the franchise had stabilized very well for the last 5 movies.

• Like 1