Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Actuals: Don't breathe 26.4M, Squad 12.25M, Kubo 7.85M., Sausage 7.5M, Mechanic 7.5M, Dragon 7.4M, War Dogs 7M

6 minutes ago, trifle said:

The irony I see is APOC's run being taken as a touchstone for greatness when it has been given so much crap for underperforming....

The difference being Apocalypse opened below expectations and ended below expectations as well. Coming off the high watermark of DOFP, it wasn't expected to perform the way it did.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, James said:

It still is the leggiest CBM of the year... for now. All in all SS was a huge hit. 710m WW on a 175m budget without China seems excellent to me. GotG made 677m without China on a similar budget and that was hailed to no end. So the only reason why people won't do the same for SS is pure bias. 

Obviously, SS is a hit.  With those numbers?  Even if people exaggerating the budget were partly right, they have obviously set up a franchise, and what value do you assign to that?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The difference being Apocalypse opened below expectations and ended below expectations as well. Coming off the high watermark of DOFP, it wasn't expected to perform the way it did.

It ended and opened below my expectations, too, but in a vacuum it did good -- not spectacular -- numbers.

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Well yes and no. I expected it to perform similar to First Class. The attraction with DOFP was the original cast. Since they weren't in AOA I knew it would drop off somewhat.

13 minutes ago, James said:

It still is the leggiest CBM of the year... for now. All in all SS was a huge hit. 710m WW on a 175m budget without China seems excellent to me. GotG made 677m without China on a similar budget and that was hailed to no end. So the only reason why people won't do the same for SS is pure bias. 

710m without China?

46 minutes ago, grim22 said:

American Sniper story was not as well known or as covered in the US as the Hudson miracle. Sully is also a much more well liked figure in the US as well. None of this may matter to the box office, but we are not talking a 100M opening anyway.

But American Sniper had A++ marketing, both in the amount of ads and the way they were put together. It was also bestselling book, then Chris Kyle was killed in dramatic circumstances, so it wasn't a total unknown quantity even before the stellar promo. 

The Miracle on the Hudson is better known but Clint Eastwood directing the movie with Tom Hanks is just SO predictable though...with AS, Bradley Cooper was playing against type. Still, what's predictable to one person is comforting to another. Hanks was in Bridge of Spies, but it was set 50 years ago vs. 7 for Sully, but again that can go either way. The audience will know the story but will they think they don't need to waste money on that, or embrace it because it's not going to be too depressing? Remember that phase when the trailers for the trailers for Robert Zemeckis films were very spoiler-heavy and he argued that people wanted to know what would happen, going in. So, maybe there's an audience for Sully who will appreciate that a good man acted heroically and it all turned out okay. 

Is there any tracking yet? It's a studio movie from a major director and star coming out the weekend after next. Is it not showing up because they don't poll moviegoers over 60 or something? :ph34r:

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

My Sully forecast:

Sep 9: 20M (7.7M weekdays, 27.7M Total)

Sep 16: 10M (3.8M weekdays, 41.5M Total)

Sep 23: 4.8M (1.8M weekdays, 48.1M Total)

Sep 30: 2.4M (900k weekdays, 51.2M Total)

Oct 6: 1.4M (500k weekdays, 53.1M Total)

Final Total: 56M (2.8x)

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

My Sully forecast:

Sep 9: 20M (7.7M weekdays, 27.7M Total)

Sep 16: 10M (3.8M weekdays, 41.5M Total)

Sep 23: 4.8M (1.8M weekdays, 48.1M Total)

Sep 30: 2.4M (900k weekdays, 51.2M Total)

Oct 6: 1.4M (500k weekdays, 53.1M Total)

Final Total: 56M (2.8x)

I think the drops might be better...movies that skew older like Sully aren't as frontloaded and even the weekdays will be stronger, relatively, by fall standards.