grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread | 4 day #s - DB 19.5M, SS 12.8M, Pete 8.5M, Kubo 6.5M, SP 6M, Bad Moms 6M, War Dogs 6M, LBO 5.9M, Morgan 2.4M

8 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

It's amazing how badly they screwed up Resident Evil.  Maybe they didn't know this back then but people adore horror and they adore zombies. All Resident Evil had to be is a slow, tension filled horror walkthrough of a mansion or police station. That's all it had to be.  Instead we get some weird horror/action hybrid and I won't deny that it's been a successful franchise but it could have been so much more.

You talking about the games or the movies?

32 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Deadline is off on their Don't Breathe number.  It is going to be closer to $4.15m for Friday.  

Over 16m 3 day as I thought

Their Friday multi was low too with a 13.7 projection 

Edited by No Prisoners

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

GOTG killed the previous August record by 35% as well, didn't seem to have any negative impact on its legs. 

Think it says more about the August record being due to be smashed in 2014 than it necessarily does about GOTG. Too many films having hovered around that 65-70 mil range but no true blockbuster having been released in that space.

I would never label SS's legs as good, but depending on your reference point, some people really expected this to tank, and it...hasn't. It's had an ordinary run partially made ordinary by August and its lack of competition. But those signs have been there ever since it was dated and some people still thought it might barely double its OW. People ignored the signs. 300 million was considered a reach just after OW and it seems it'll comfortably pass it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robertman2 said:

4 is on the best games ever.

5 was decent

And 6 should burn in hell for all eternity

I never made it to 6.

5 is decent game, turned really good for me by the co-op experience. But I realize I was projecting some of the fun from my dicking around and stuff into the quality of the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

I never made it to 6.

5 is decent game, turned really good for me by the co-op experience. But I realize I was projecting some of the fun from my dicking around and stuff into the quality of the game.

Co-op helps that game a lot.

And skip 6, just go straight to 7. Or the 3DS game, which pretty good.

35 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Deadline is off on their Don't Breathe number.  It is going to be closer to $4.15m for Friday.  

On holiday weekends like these where even Thu drops are better than expected, does a day like Friday become difficult to judge because the usual pattern is broken?

1 minute ago, efialtes76 said:

Friday estimates: #Morgan ($615K); #SuicideSquad ($2.245M/$289.7M Total); #WarDogs ($1.21M/$31.72M Total)

Friday estimates: #DontBreathe ($4.175M/$39.6M Total); #SausageParty($1.365M/$84.5M Total)

Praying 4 550k Star Trek Friday

@Sam @WrathOfHan

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I never made it to 6.

The only good one is 2. Everything else is a different variation of crap. 

2.245 + 3.6 (+60%) + 3.8 (+5%) + 2.85 (-25%) = 12.5...299.9 cume :lol: (I didn't reverse calculate on purpose, it just came to this)

But I think SS Sat will be over 65% and it should do at least 12.75 over the long weekend with a good shot at 13 too.

Edited by a2knet

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

The trades wrote about it...there was a survey about the level of interest in last fall's movies in general and how people's feelings changed to hear certain stars were attached. Here is that part:

Percentages are relative, though...if 50,000 people were going to see Rock the Kasbah before and then 75,000 show up because Bill Murray's in it...sure, there's 50% more interest but it's still a flop.

It gives a point of reference of what actors are worth to the studios though.  If movie tickets averaged at 10 dollars, that's 250k more for the movie's gross because of Bill Murray.  So as long as you pay Bill Murray less than 130k it was worth it to invest in having him be in the film.  

Now thats excluding factors such as, a director wanting to cast somebody who they think works well in the role over a nobody because Murray's to expensive, worldwide interest in Murray, and how many people may have known (and we're excited for) Murray's presence in the movie before the survey.

If I'm a studio, a bomb is a bomb, and a hit is a hit.  It doesn't change the fact I still want to maximize the profit of that hit, or minimize the loss of the bomb.

Edited by The Panda