grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread | 4 day #s - DB 19.5M, SS 12.8M, Pete 8.5M, Kubo 6.5M, SP 6M, Bad Moms 6M, War Dogs 6M, LBO 5.9M, Morgan 2.4M

Just now, Webslinger said:

...except that everyone just pretended that J.K. Simmons said "Ex Machina" instead of "The Danish Girl" when announcing her as the winner. :ph34r:

lol true.

One thing I will say for her performance in that movie is that she at least tried, unlike her costar, who spent the entire movie touching his face and making hand gestures like a princess at a Disney park.

Not gonna lie: when I saw the trailer for La La Land in front of Florence Foster Jenkins today, I seriously wished that I could magically just see that one instead.

Now, 2016 hasn't been a horrible year for movies or anything (in fact, I've seen a whole bunch of movies that I liked a whole lot in one way or another), but once the 5th passes, I will officially have gone longer than ever before in the time since I started seeing new movies  on a near-weekly basis (2006) without awarding a full "A" grade to any one film. The previous late was ten years ago, when I waited until I blind-bought United 93 on DVD (which I missed theatrically because it was rated R, I was 15, and I was both too scared to sneak in and not persistent enough in getting a parent to go with me). Just give me the great 2016 ones already, movie industry!

Edited by Webslinger

20 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

They should have made a Halo movie back when it was hot.

17 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

This.

I'd prefers trilogy based off of the first three games though

Too much politicking behind the scenes. This is a great article diving deep into why the movie didn't get made when it was hot despite every studio wanting to make it. Short version: Microsoft asked for too much, the studios banded together, Peter Jackson quit

http://www.wired.com/2012/04/halo-movie-generation-xbox/

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol true.

One thing I will say for her performance in that movie is that she at least tried, unlike her costar, who spent the entire movie touching his face and making hand gestures like a princess at a Disney park.

True. I like Eddie Redmayne (and I was marginally okay with the movie as a whole; it got a B- from me), but I'm still not sure what he was doing/how Tom Hooper was having him do.

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Not gonna lie: when I saw the trailer for La La Land in front of Florence Foster Jenkins today, I seriously wished that I could magically just see that one instead.

Now, 2016 hasn't been a horrible year for movies or anything (in fact, I've seen a whole bunch of movies that I liked a whole lot in one way or another), but once the 5th passes, I will officially have gone longer than ever before in the time since I started seeing new movies  on a near-weekly basis (2006) without awarding a full "A" grade to any one film. The previous late was ten years ago, when I waited until I blind-bought United 93 on DVD (which I missed theatrically because it was rated R, I was 15, and I was both too scared to sneak in and not persistent enough in getting a parent to go with me). Just give me the great 2016 ones already, movie industry!

I have given only one A this year so far (Love & Friendship). Even though there's still a few things I need to catch up on.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Too much politicking behind the scenes. This is a great article diving deep into why the movie didn't get made when it was hot despite every studio wanting to make it. Short version: Microsoft asked for too much, the studios banded together, Peter Jackson quit

I remember reading that article. 

And the script to the movie

:sadben:

Reserved Seating Report

I did not organize well enough to ship the data out early.  All i can say is poor Morgan.  Been doing miserable!!!  Its too bad since it is an interesting film.

Light Between the Oceans looks good.  Looks on par with Ben-Hur for this area.   No Manches Frida packed here in Southern California.  All holdovers strong of course.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Wow! LOL. I had no idea. They totally missed the boat on that one.

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I'm still astonished that the Halo movie never happened. I also feel like it missed its window; it had the potential to be massive in the mid-to-late-2000s, when the Halo games sold like hotcakes.

Hell, they still sell like hotcakes.

Unless you're in Japan.

Then they never did in the first place

8 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

True. I like Eddie Redmayne (and I was marginally okay with the movie as a whole; it got a B- from me), but I'm still not sure what he was doing/how Tom Hooper was having him do.

Tom Hooper has an odd directing style I think. I kind of remember Les Miserable having some odd camera work.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Will there ever be a 100M OW movie at this time of year one day ?

:thinking:

No. Not in my lifetime. No one is going to schedule a blockbuster for this weekend. I also think that limit is going to stick, even with ticket price increases.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Assassins Creed will bomb super hard and Ubisoft will cancel the Watch Dogs and The Division adaptations.

Prince of Persia did 340m worldwide and this is a bigger more recognized franchise. Plus with the talent behind likely a better film. It should do at least 400m but its definitely not bombing super hard like you think.

• Like 1

Just now, ecstasy said:

Tom Hooper has an odd directing style I think. I kind of remember Les Miserable having some odd camera work.

The Danish Girl is really the only film of his I've taken issue with, though. I loved The King's Speech (#5 of its year on my list) and I was in the "love" camp of the love-it-or-hate-it Les Miserables. I was on board with the rough-hewn approach to Les Miz because it highlighted the emotional immediacy of the performances, which more than made up for any issues caused by streamlining the story. On the other hand, Danish Girl felt strangely inert and reluctant to court controversy despite inherently controversial source material (at least in terms of the real subjects, given that in addition to Lily Elbe's transition, Gerda Wegner - Vikander's character, who can't cope with the transition and implicitly falls into the arms of another man in the film and the fictional novel on which it was based - was openly bisexual and continued to live openly as Lily's spouse until her death).

• Like 1