grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread | 4 day #s - DB 19.5M, SS 12.8M, Pete 8.5M, Kubo 6.5M, SP 6M, Bad Moms 6M, War Dogs 6M, LBO 5.9M, Morgan 2.4M

4 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Prince of Persia did 340m worldwide and this is a bigger more recognized franchise. Plus with the talent behind likely a better film. It should do at least 400m but its definitely not bombing super hard like you think.

Yeah PoP actually did some solid numbers. The problem was the budget

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Vikander was incredible in Ex Machina.

The movie goes down a few notches without that performance.

Though the SFX enhanced her performance quite a bit.

I would argue that her performance would have been great irrespective of the effects. She did an exemplary job of portraying Ava as being just human enough to be convincing, yet just aloof enough to seem inhuman. It's an extraordinarily tough line to walk.

On my personal Supporting Actress ballot last year, her performance in Ex Machina was second only to Kate Winslet's work in Steve Jobs, which may well be may favorite work from one of my three favorite working actresses (alongside Amy Adams - who has still done vital work in the last several years and may have more in Arrival and/or Nocturnal Animals - and Meryl Streep - who always gives an A-to-A+ effort even when the role is at a B or C level).

• Like 1

Assassin's Creed is going to have to be really good (for which there is no precedent in its subgenre) to survive against Rogue One, even if Rogue One doesn't deliver the goods. If a really solid Star Wars film could make nearly $150 million over Christmas weekend last year, it stands to reason that a related prequel will be huge even if it isn't that well-received.

Just now, tonytr87 said:

Dumb prediction this far out. Only if it's bad. 

Not really. It's easy to call what movies will get lost in the holiday shuffle and which ones will thrive. Remember last year when everyone called Point Break's bombing from miles away, and then it did?

Assassin's Creed and The Space Between Us look like the obvious losers in the bunch. Passengers and (especially, definitely) Sing will be the big options to see besides Star Wars. Why Him? could be a mini-Daddy's Home too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Assassin's Creed is going to have to be really good (for which there is no precedent in its subgenre) to survive against Rogue One, even if Rogue One doesn't deliver the goods. If a really solid Star Wars film could make nearly $150 million over Christmas weekend last year, it stands to reason that a related prequel will be huge even if it isn't that well-received.

holiday season allows multiple films to succeed. Rogue One won't be close to as big as Force Awakens as well

38 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

The Danish Girl is really the only film of his I've taken issue with, though. I loved The King's Speech (#5 of its year on my list) and I was in the "love" camp of the love-it-or-hate-it Les Miserables. I was on board with the rough-hewn approach to Les Miz because it highlighted the emotional immediacy of the performances, which more than made up for any issues caused by streamlining the story. On the other hand, Danish Girl felt strangely inert and reluctant to court controversy despite inherently controversial source material (at least in terms of the real subjects, given that in addition to Lily Elbe's transition, Gerda Wegner - Vikander's character, who can't cope with the transition and implicitly falls into the arms of another man in the film and the fictional novel on which it was based - was openly bisexual and continued to live openly as Lily's spouse until her death).

I loved TKS but had issues with LM. For one thing with the exception of AH performance it just felt so low energy. And he had a weird thing with close up shots.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not really. It's easy to call what movies will get lost in the holiday shuffle and which ones will thrive. Remember last year when everyone called Point Break's bombing from miles away, and then it did?

Assassin's Creed and The Space Between Us look like the obvious losers in the bunch. Passengers and (especially, definitely) Sing will be the big options to see besides Star Wars. Why Him? could be a mini-Daddy's Home too.

Daddy's Home had the Ferrell-Walberg combo and a moderately funny trailer/concept going for it.

Why Him? doesn't have much by comparison.

I actually think Assassin's Creed could beat it comfortably.