DAJK

Weekend Actuals: Sully 35M, WTBB 14.2M, DB 8.25M, SS 5.72M

16 minutes ago, DAR said:

I do wonder if he's one of those actors we take for granted now. 

He definitely is. It's probably due to the fact that he is such a mainstay. He's been big (heh) since the 80's, and he's been consistently one of the most popular and respected actors until today with no real downturn. Also, no controversies to speak of, married to the same woman for 30 years, etc. We are gonna miss him so much when he is gone, which is hopefully a long, long time from now.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

He definitely is. It's probably due to the fact that he is such a mainstay. He's been big (heh) since the 80's, and he's been consistently one of the most popular and respected actors until today with no real downturn. Also, no controversies to speak of, married to the same woman for 30 years, etc. We are gonna miss him so much when he is gone, which is hopefully a long, long time from now.

Plus everyone's cranky old uncle who disagrees with him politically still likes him because of his involvement with WWII vets and his interest in NASA

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DAR said:

Top ten Rank Hanks(off the top of my head and plenty of omissions)

1. Apollo 13

2. Saving Private Ryan

3. Big

4. Toy Story Trilogy

5. Forrest Gump

6. Captain Phillips

7. Catch Me If You Can

8. Cast Away

9.  Road to Perdition

10. Bachelor Party(it has a coke snorting donkey, what other two time Oscar winner has that on his resume)

Well 2 time winner Sean Penn's Spiccoli high the entire movie is a close second. 

f15408eea54d5e452fcc5a9c89504984.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Hanks is such a likeable actor, even when he has a bomb, it doesn't affect his next films. 

I would like to do something different like a comedy or maybe a role similar to his role in Road to Perdition. The Langdon series is likely the closest he'll get to a tentpole as I imagine he's too expensive for a superhero film. 

After working with Eastwood, maybe he should be paired with Leo, Affleck or Cruise in some sort of drama.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Hanks is such a likeable actor, even when he has a bomb, it doesn't affect his next films. 

I would like to do something different like a comedy or maybe a role similar to his role in Road to Perdition. The Langdon series is likely the closest he'll get to a tentpole as I imagine he's too expensive for a superhero film. 

After working with Eastwood, maybe he should be paired with Leo, Affleck or Cruise in some sort of drama.

I'd say Toy Story is a tentpole

• Like 2

Got tickets for Sully, matinee on Sat.

Me and my bf gonna be easily the youngest there for sure. Being in a room full of @NuTella Lover of Sky Beams will probably be slightly creepy.

The trailer didn't interest me. But I have watched almost everything Tom Hanks is in, and this weekend has nothing else to offer so...well. 

• Like 4

I think Sully is in for a Best Picture nomination now tbh. The box office is looking to be sensational, and WB has nothing else for the Oscar race either (it's clear Live By Night isn't getting a qualifying release at this point). They always have a movie in the race every year.

Just now, filmlover said:

I think Sully is in for a Best Picture nomination now tbh. The box office is looking to be sensational, and WB has nothing else for the Oscar race either (it's clear Live By Night isn't getting a qualifying release at this point). They always have a movie in the race every year.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I don't know. Maybe if Silence doesn't get released.

I'd like to see Hanks and Michael Keaton together in something since up until Big and Batman their paths seemed pretty similar.  I imagine they both were up for a lot of the same roles in the 80's

26 minutes ago, DAR said:

Top ten Rank Hanks(off the top of my head and plenty of omissions)

1. Apollo 13

2. Saving Private Ryan

3. Big

4. Toy Story Trilogy

5. Forrest Gump

6. Captain Phillips

7. Catch Me If You Can

8. Cast Away

9.  Road to Perdition

10. Bachelor Party(it has a coke snorting donkey, what other two time Oscar winner has that on his resume)

Love all of those but I actually liked Bonfire of the Vanities, Philadelphia and Sleepless in Seattle a lot as well.

• Like 2

Just now, ecstasy said:

Love all of those but I actually liked Bonfire of the Vanities, Philadelphia and Sleepless in Seattle a lot as well.

I've actually never seen Bonfire.  Philadelphia is good but it sometimes feels a little too TV movie of the week.  And Sleepless is very cute.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I don't know. Maybe if Silence doesn't get released.

Silence is Paramount.

Also, I think Hanks will get the "welcome back" nomination for this that everyone thought he would get for Captain Phillips 3 years ago, especially with how young the Best Actor race is shaping up to be.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A bit early to tell IMO.

Awards season is still very young but if there is a lack of contenders comes December, Sully could become on of them. 

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

I've actually never seen Bonfire.  Philadelphia is good but it sometimes feels a little too TV movie of the week.  And Sleepless is very cute.

Well I'll admit, I watched Philadelphia mostly for Denzel. But Tom was good too. The movie was heart wrenching.

Bonfire was one of those movies when I watched, I thought it was gonna be one thing then it totally went left but I enjoyed it.

Not bad numbers for Sully and When The Bough Breaks. A $32-$35 million debut for Sully could be in play. While a $15-$16 million debut for When The Bough Breaks. But horrendously horrible for The Wild Life it could do between $1-$2 million OW with those numbers ouch. That's way worse than Alpha & Omega's debut 6 years ago around the same timeframe. Dissappointments Room looked like a bomb from the start, with little to no marketing efforts on Relativity's part, and it being delayed multiple times. The film should've been a VOD or straight to DVD release instead. 

I imagine Hanks will be nominated but I don't see Sully itself getting best picture nomination

Just now, DAR said:

I'd like to see Hanks and Michael Keaton together in something since up until Big and Batman their paths seemed pretty similar.  I imagine they both were up for a lot of the same roles in the 80's

Hanks and Keaton would be good, I've always wanted Cruise and Hanks in some of drama but Cruise hasn't done a drama for a long time