WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Magnificent 7 35M | Storks 21.8M | Sully 13.8M | Bridget Jones 4.5M

7 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Honestly, I thoughtd it be a lot higher on midnights. With Chris Pratt and Denzel being pretty big movie stars. Somewhere around 5-6 million.

It's fall, not the summer. Schools are back in session, so midnight numbers are much lower.

• Like 1

What was the last time Washington starred in a difficult to sell film? 

He's good at selecting people and projects he's going to work with, but that's it. He's not a draw, I thought Sully had proved that. 

There aren't such things as draws anymore.

Somewhat likable actor doing what he's known for, paired with a fresh concept and talented people is a winning combo, but that shouldn't be confused with anything else, really.

24 minutes ago, cannastop said:

If that's how it went, I'm guessing that Storks will make $30m over the weekend.

I'm using Zootopia, which made $1.7m on previews and $75m OW, as a comparison.

Zoo was at the beginning of spring break. Sept is tough to complete, school just started.  Less likely to take in a preview on a school this time of year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Well, yeah. Let's not act like they've been having a bad year though; outside of Ghostbusters they've made a profit on everything.

Thanks to small budgets. Btw, their last 200 M film was SPECTRE and that crawled to reach that mark.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Well, yeah. Let's not act like they've been having a bad year though; outside of Ghostbusters they've made a profit on everything.

Just unfortunate that their misfire was probably the most public one.

Sony do need a big hit though, their last 200M movie was Spectre and the next will be Spider-Man. They are lacking the big franchises studios need nowadays. Still in a better place than Paramount and Lionsgate

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goffe said:

He's good at selecting people and projects he's going to work with, but that's it. He's not a draw, I thought Sully had proved that. 

Somewhat likable actor doing what he's known for, paired with a fresh concept and talented people is a winning combo, but that shouldn't be confused with anything else, really.

Completely disagree. Also do you mean Flight in the bolded part?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jayhawk said:

Completely disagree. Also do you mean Flight in the bolded part?

Yeah, Denzel was able to open FLIGHT to a 20m+ OW. He's not enormous overseas, but he's definitely reliable and can open a movie here in the States. SULLY opened bigger because it's based on a best-selling book and a very high-profile incident that everyone knows about. (And of course you could argue that Eastwood is a way bigger name than Zemeckis.)

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I have no idea how your "points" prove he's not a draw.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's a co finance with MGM who needs it after Ben Hur (though they did well on their joint productions with New Line this year)

Ben Hur likely wiped out any money MGM made with the New Line films. Mag 7 will make a decent amount of money but not enough to cover Ben Hur's losses

Inferno will likely be a big hit for Sony moreso OS than domestic. I think it'll do over $250m OS and crack $100m domestic. 

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Just unfortunate that their misfire was probably the most public one.

Sony do need a big hit though, their last 200M movie was Spectre and the next will be Spider-Man. They are lacking the big franchises studios need nowadays. Still in a better place than Paramount and Lionsgate

Passengers though.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Ridiculous.   This is no star who has ever been successful completely independent of material or talent behind the camera.   Even in the heyday of stars material, genre, directors, writers, producers mattered.  That does not mean every star is equal or that certain actors do not draw more audience to a project their name, face and reputation are attached to.

How did Sully prove that Washington wasn't a draw?  Because a feel good PG-13 drama of a recent known figure and event made more than a downer R Rated Flight  that opened to almost $25m in just under 1900 theaters?  :rolleyes:

• Like 12

This has to be my favorite bit of news this weekend. So many scriptwriters in Hollywood struggle to get even one of their ideas on the screen, and a 4-year old gets a 125M budgeted movie greenlit

http://www.wsj.com/articles/paramount-takes-115-million-write-down-for-movie-that-isnt-released-yet-1474577856 

The write-down has put an unwelcome spotlight on the project, which was conceived in 2013 by Adam Goodman, then the president of Paramount’s film group, off an idea he had bandied about with his then-4-year-old son.

That explains a lot about the movie for sure.

• Like 9

Flight was completely sold on Denzel. As are the vast majority of his movies. Just because they generally aren't in the top 10/15 of the year doesn't mean they aren't major successes for the studios. Why else would he consistently get $20m paychecks?

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1