WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Magnificent 7 35M | Storks 21.8M | Sully 13.8M | Bridget Jones 4.5M

Just now, Jonwo said:

October 14th with previews the week before but I imagine Trolls which is released a week after will do better. It's also releasing in the same week as Inferno in the UK which will likely do very well.

oh then yeah it has no defence, if it's only 2 weeks away.

Somehow I don't think Inferno is the same target audience as Storks...

Good for M7. Hopefully it inches up a mil or so tonight for a chance to beat HT2's record. 

Yikes @ Storks. I mean it looked like generic garbage to me, but I thought the marketing was effective for its audience. Apparently not. Maybe there have finally been too many animated hits for the GA this year. I wonder what WB spent on that marketing campaign though? It seemed like a pretty big campaign to me. 

Edited by MovieMan89

13 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

LOL Goffe

Log off. Go outside. Get some perspective.

I don't get it... we got a bunch this looks like Flight posts when the first trailer came out. Someone said Sully looked like Flight note for note and got 11 likes.

"Pilot dealing with the aftermath, which includes others putting in check the real necessity of his doings, after having to land a malfunctioning plane"  that's Sully's premise, or at least what the trailer had sold us, isn't it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Good for M7. Yikes @ Storks. I mean it looked like generic garbage to me, but I thought the marketing was effective for its audience. Apparently not. Maybe there have finally been too many animated hits for the GA this year. 

WB marketed it really well but clearly it hasn't clicked with audiences. The budget is under $100m so with OS it'll make a profit or break even at least but I imagine WB were hoping for a lot more. It does put original films in jeopardy though as they're not releasing an original film Smallfoot until 2018, The 2017 WAG films are Lego spin-offs and the other 2018 film is Scooby Doo. 

• Like 1

My older brothers loved this genre. They watched any re-run they could of old westerns. We only had 1 tv in the house so I was stuck watching what they watched.  I remember fondly a few really old westerns that I would watch today.   I'm more familiar with the ones from the 90s though when there was a nice little influx of western films.  Too bad they stopped making them because they could be highly entertaining and I got to see some of my favorite actors in an ensemble cast.  

In no particular order, here's some I really liked from the modern era.

The Quick and the Dead

Young Guns

Tombstone

Silverado

Bad Girls

The Assassination of Jesse James by that coward

Blazing Saddles :ph34r:

3 Amigos :ph34r:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

WB marketed it really well but clearly it hasn't clicked with audiences. The budget is under $100m so with OS it'll make a profit or break even at least but I imagine WB were hoping for a lot more. It does put original films in jeopardy though as they're not releasing an original film Smallfoot until 2018, The 2017 WAG films are Lego spin-offs and the other 2018 film is Scooby Doo. 

I'd imagine it needs to be making somewhere around $225m or so WW to breakeven. They had to have spent over 100m on it by the time you add the marketing campaign in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'd imagine it needs to be making somewhere around $225m or so WW to breakeven. They had to have spent over 100m on it by the time you add the marketing campaign in. 

That's doable although Trolls has a early OS release which will eat into its audience. 

4 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I don't get it... we got a bunch this looks like Flight posts when the first trailer came out. Someone said Sully looked like Flight note for note and got 11 likes.

"Pilot dealing with the aftermath, which includes others putting in check the real necessity of his doings, after having to land a malfunctioning plane"  that's Sully's premise, or at least what the trailer had sold us, isn't it?

I didn't go into the Sully threads so I can't comment on that.  My guess is that those posters had no idea what they were talking about?  No offense to those posters.

Not sure where your quote is from. Is that from flight or is that from Sully? Once you answer I can comment. Right now I'm a little confused.

Sully was a real life event. Most people are aware of it without movie trailers or marketing. This happened in NYC. The biggest city in the US.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I haven't seen the film as it's not out here for a few months, but judging by the trailer and ads, it looks exactly the same as Flight.

• Like 2

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/weekend-box-office-magnificent-seven-932166

Evading the curse that has plagued many a Western, Antoine Fuqua's The Magnificent Seven is headed for a promising $13 million-$14 million Friday, putting the star-studded movie on course to earn anywhere from $34 million-$40 million for the weekend, according to early projections.

The weekend's other new nationwide offering is Warner Bros.' animated family film Storks, which is projected to gross between $20 million and $24 million.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ecstasy said:

Not sure where your quote is from. Is that from flight or is that from Sully? Once you answer I can comment. Right now I'm a little confused.

It's just a little summary I did based on Sully's trailer, which could also serve as Flight's plot description.