efialtes76

Weekend Thread: Peregrine: 28.5| Deep: 20.6| M7: 15.7 pg 22

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

He did seven films between ANH and Empire which for the most part kept him in the public conscious

They were small roles or small forgetable movies that I didn't bother to see in theaters at that time.(except apoc now which was made long before star wars was released and was a tiny role)

Blade runner, witness, working girl, etc(movies I did see in theaters) is where he was the lead in big movies.

This was all in his biography. He wasn't making any headway in hollywood from 67 to 81 outside of Lucas movies. He was his biggest (sans lucas) in the 90s jack Ryan, fugitive, air force one. All big hits.

• Like 1

Prequel trilogy

Natalie Portman, the prequels made her a teen icon. Natalie did have some trouble with find roles after Phantom Menace, but she end up doing fine and wining Oscar for Black Swan. Continues to be a sex symbol for geeks everywhere, still can't be a convicing a love interest in a blockbuster to save her life as the Thor movies proved.

Ewan McGregor, went back to being in successful mid level budget movies

Hayden Christensen disappeared, not surprising.

4 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Well, Insurgent dropped 14% from it's predecessor, Maze Runner dropped 20%, God help us if the final movie has the same drop of Insurgent > Allegiant. :rofl: 

I love you but you seem to have some bias against O'Brien. Like it or not, even if the last TMR movie registers a similar drop it will still be profitable because the budgets are half of Divergent's. And the first two movies were huge hits. Way more so than Divergent. They made 660m WW on a combined budget of 95m. That's less than Insurgent's budget LOL. My guess is the third TMR will still make over 300m WW on a sub-100m budget which will be another massive win for Fox. As for this "oh DOM is so important" you know very well that is bullshit. There is a reason why some movies get absurd budgets. If DOM was so important the wouldn't.  

• Like 1

Sequel trilogy

Adam Driver is going to be a in a couple of movies, he has the biggest breakout potential
Daisy Ridley ???????? so far, but she should avoid Disney Princess roles like Rey to not be typecast
John Boyega will be in Pacific Rim sequel as the lead
Oscar Isaac in the shitty X-men movie as that potato villain

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

adam driver has already worked with clint eastwood, steven spielberg, steven soderbergh, the coens, jim jarmusch and martin scorsese. so far so good.

don't forget Shawn Levy

• Like 3

Mag7 won't be 12 or 15m. Deadline has been 10%+ low on holdovers constantly. 

Variety is sniffing glue.

Here is deadlines early Friday report from last week

The Clint Eastwood movie starring Tom Hanks as U.S. Airways hero pilot Chesley Sullenberger is expected to take in $10M-$11M, down 50% from last weekend

Sully made 13.5m. Deadline was 30% off. The Derby average was 2% off using Thursday data.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Prequel trilogy

Natalie Portman, the prequels made her a teen icon. Natalie did have some trouble with find roles after Phantom Menace, but she end up doing fine and wining Oscar for Black Swan. Continues to be a sex symbol for geeks everywhere, still can't be a convicing a love interest in a blockbuster to save her life as the Thor movies proved.

Ewan McGregor, went back to being in successful mid level budget movies

Hayden Christensen disappeared, not surprising.

Natalie and Ewan were well known before PM. Makes a difference in succeeding after.

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

daisy ridley has been in one movie y'know i dunno how talented she actually is yet. i felt she was a little forced (awakened) in some of the bigger moments from star wars but then again JJ's at his best working with actors making them seem cool and fun and stuff. not a big emotional moments guy.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Natalie did have some trouble with find roles after Phantom Menace, but she end up doing fine and wining Oscar for Black Swan.

???

She worked pretty steadily

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

daisy ridley has been in one movie y'know i dunno how talented she actually is yet. i felt she was a little forced (awakened) in some of the bigger moments from star wars but then again JJ's at his best working with actors making them seem cool and fun and stuff. not a big emotional moments guy.

He gets our Member Berries going :) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, I Might Not Be A Curse said:

Forgot to mention, but I really liked Storks.  Surprisingly fresh, inventive, original, and hilarious. 

I do wonder if the number of talking animal movies that have already done well this year hurt Stork's performance? I think the marketing while good just wasn't as good as Warner Bros does usually. 

WAG is still relatively new and they'll at least break even with Storks, the two Lego films next year will likely do better business but I think they really need to promote Smallfoot if they want to have a successful film that isn't Lego or based on a Warner Bros owned character

Just now, Jonwo said:

I do wonder if the number of talking animal movies that have already done well this year hurt Stork's performance? I think the marketing while good just wasn't as good as Warner Bros does usually. 

It's september if a big movie's getting released here it's usually getting dumped.

Mag7 was more of an exception

i'm pretty sure portman's said there were roles she didn't get cos she was the chick from star wars.

reminds me of hearing about mark hamil auditioning for amadeus (a role he got good reviews for on broadway mind) and being told by milos forman "no one wants to see luke spacewalker as mozart."

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

???

She worked pretty steadily

She claims in interviews that she struggled to find work because a lot of directors thought she was a terrible actress because of TPM, though I think she might have been bluffing a bit.