efialtes76

Weekend Thread: Peregrine: 28.5| Deep: 20.6| M7: 15.7 pg 22

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I think PG-13 was about right, it wasn't suitable for younger kids but anyone 10-15 would be fine.

Even taking into considering the scary imagery, if Peregrine had been made in say the 80's, it would have gotten a PG rating. The MPAA has gotten a lot harsher since then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

It's september if a big movie's getting released here it's usually getting dumped.

Mag7 was more of an exception

Sony have proven with Cloudy 1 and 2 and HT 1 and 2 that animation can thrive in September, it just have to be good and appealing which Storks wasn't to an extent. 

I expect Lego Ninjago will do more than Storks did on its OW.

No director wanted to work with Natalie Portman after Phantom Menace, quote from Portman

"Star Wars had come out … and everyone thought I was a horrible actress. I was in the biggest-grossing movie of the decade, and no director wanted to work with me. Mike wrote a letter to Anthony Minghella and said, ‘Put her in Cold Mountain, I vouch for her.’ And then Anthony passed me on to Tom Tykwer, who passed me on to the Wachowskis.""

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-Star-Wars-Nearly-Ruined-Natalie-Portman-Career-68716.html

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i'm pretty sure portman's said there were roles she didn't get cos she was the chick from star wars.

reminds me of hearing about mark hamil auditioning for amadeus (a role he got good reviews for on broadway mind) and being told by milos forman "no one wants to see luke spacewalker as mozart."

Ya but she was still doing movies like Closer and Garden State (lol, Garden State) in her Star Wars downtime

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I do wonder if the number of talking animal movies that have already done well this year hurt Stork's performance? I think the marketing while good just wasn't as good as Warner Bros does usually. 

WAG is still relatively new and they'll at least break even with Storks, the two Lego films next year will likely do better business but I think they really need to promote Smallfoot if they want to have a successful film that isn't Lego or based on a Warner Bros owned character

I don't think the general audience cares about talking animals vs. humans when it comes to animation. I think the real distinction is animated vs. live action.

As for why Storks disappointed, I think it's because the marketing didn't convey what the movie was about besides cute babies and birds. Not as interesting as The Secret Life of Pets, I guess.

Edited by cannastop

ok you got me curious so i looked it up and all she did was a couple mother/daughter dramedies and a zoolander cameo between the first two Star Wars movies. That's rough

Edited by Chewy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I don't think the general audience cares about talking animals vs. humans when it comes to animation. I think the real distinction is animated vs. live action.

As for why Storks disappointed, I think it's because the marketing didn't convey what the movie was about besides cute babies and birds. Not as interesting as The Secret Life of Pets, I guess.

I sure do.  Not an "I don't like animated animals" in advance kind of way, but none of my favorite animated movies have talking animal protagonists, and I like a bunch of animated films.  (Zootopia and 101 Dalmations were the only ones I really liked with animated animals, as far as I recall.) I just don't relate as well.  Animation isn't an issue.

Edited by trifle

2 minutes ago, trifle said:

I sure do.  Not an "I don't like animated animals" in advance kind of way, but none of my favorite animated movies have talking animal protagonists, and I like a bunch of animated films.  (Zootopia and 101 Dalmations were the only ones I really liked with animated animals, as far as I recall.) I just don't relate as well.  Animation isn't an issue.

I don't think you represent the general audience. :P

Just now, cannastop said:

I don't think you represent the general audience. :P

LOL!  Defining your terms are you?  I'm general audience until pretty lately, but I am just one data point.

I agree that if everyone were like me, Dory and SLOP would not have done what they did.

3 minutes ago, trifle said:

LOL!  Defining your terms are you?  I'm general audience until pretty lately, but I am just one data point.

I agree that if everyone were like me, Dory and SLOP would not have done what they did.

Meanwhile, if everyone were literally like me, Zootopia would have made $5B dom... :ph34r:

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

All this talk about what Portman did, and yet she's going to win her second Oscar in a few months :redcapes: 

and then maybe dc will grab her for their next green lantern's girlfriend. oh wait, she's in her mid-30s already. i meeaaaan... whatever the green lantern version of glenn close in guardians is!

• Like 2

and then maybe dc will grab her for their next green lantern's girlfriend. oh wait, she's in her mid-30s already. i meeaaaan... whatever the green lantern version of glenn close in guardians is!

Portman needs to stay away from being a love interest in blockbusters, she really sucks as that kind of character if you look at Star Wars and Thor.

that's my favourite part of the first green lantern. ryan reynolds a full 11 years older than blake lively and they're all "we grew up together"! only if he was the creepy older brother of one of her friends. goddamn.

Relationships like that are common. Ryan and Blake are married in real life now!