efialtes76

Weekend Thread: Accountant 24.7M, Kevin Hart 11.9M, GOTT 11.9M, Peregrine 8.9M

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

75m budget? That seems hard to believe 

Not really.

People seem to forget they had to built the entire Vatican on a set the last time. That was expensive as hell. 

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Not really.

People seem to forget they had to built the entire Vatican on a set the last time. That was expensive as hell. 

But its also way less than Da Vinci Code from ten years ago. To not even be at 100m is surprising 

Edited by John Marston

18 minutes ago, CJohn said:

50M OS for Inferno with Japan, China and France left. Considering the 75M budget, Sony has already won.

Guessing it makes around $300M worldwide total. Not nearly as strong as the first two but I don't think anyone expecting it to be considering Angels & Demons was 7 years ago.

Peregrine doing nearly $200 million worldwide is good! Fox usually does sucessful internationally. The Accountant making $3 million overseas or so isn't amazing but could make some more for the weeks to come. Deepwater Horizon both stateside and overseas is a big financial failure for Lionsgate. Luckily Madea could save them, and they are now with Relativity which is a sign of doom.

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Guessing it makes around $300M worldwide total. Not nearly as strong as the first two but I don't think anyone expecting it to be considering Angels & Demons was 7 years ago.

Might do 350M depending on China, OS legs and DOM result but yeah, 300M WW seems pretty much a done deal which is an excellent result. It was probably Sony's objective and that is why they controlled the budget. There probably won't be another one, but Sony knew they could milk this franchise one more time.

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

But its also way less than Da Vinci Code from ten years ago. To not even be at 100m is surprising 

When/if you see the movie, you will understand. It doesn't look expensive. There is a chase scene with a drone lol.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Might do 350M depending on China, OS legs and DOM result but yeah, 300M WW seems pretty much a done deal which is an excellent result. It was probably Sony's objective and that is why they controlled the budget. There probably won't be another one, but Sony knew they could milk this franchise one more time.

When/if you see the movie, you will understand. It doesn't look expensive. There is a chase scene with a drone lol.

A new Langdon book comes out next year. If they keep the budget under control again I think they will go forward with it. Especially since Sony barely has any franchises 

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

A new Langdon book comes out next year. If they keep the budget under control again I think they will go forward with it. Especially since Sony barely has any franchises 

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I think a decrease would likely happen again. It was a good idea to milk this franchise one more time with a controlled budget, but I think Sony knows they can't play this card again.

That's quite strong for The Accountant.  Could have easily opened in the 10-12 million range. 

Also huge for Inferno.  I had forgotten how big the last two films were overseas.  

Got to experience the first three potter movies in IMAX yesterday and man oh man did it get me HYPE for FB.

52 minutes ago, CJohn said:

50M OS for Inferno with Japan, China and France left. Considering the 75M budget, Sony has already won.

Yeah, im surprised they got the budget down so low. Rothman is really closing the purse strings over at Sony.  

Edited by babz06

1 minute ago, babz06 said:

Yeah, im surprised they got the budget down so low. Rothman is really closing the purse strings over at Sony.  

Props to him. This will be a big win with a 75M budget.

34 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Peregrine doing nearly $200 million worldwide is good! Fox usually does sucessful internationally. The Accountant making $3 million overseas or so isn't amazing but could make some more for the weeks to come. Deepwater Horizon both stateside and overseas is a big financial failure for Lionsgate. Luckily Madea could save them, and they are now with Relativity which is a sign of doom.

Madea is not gonna save them, Tyler Perry films have no overseas appeal, too niche. However, Power Rangers might give Lionsgate a jumpstart. 

Ok, back from Inferno. Oh Gosh, so many thoughts.

So, I liked the movie for the most part. I thought it was a great ride up until the finale. And then everything went to shit. I AM PISSED. They changed the finale. Completely. It's like they missed the whole point Dan Brown was trying to make.

Spoiler

First of all, that plague, in the book, is not described as a killer virus, that would wipe out half of the world's population. Instead, it is described as a sterility virus, that, in time, would render a big chunk of the world's population infertile. And at the end of the book when they get there, the virus is already released. Sienna does not die. And the world is left to face a situation that would change it's very foundation. Of course they had to hollywood-it because apparently audiences are too moronic to accept such a finale? I don't get it. And I am pissed. It was a wonderful, very thoughtful, finale. People never actually realize how much work goes into those books Brown writes and how carefully crafted they are. Everything has a sense. And there are no villains. I was actually rooting for Zobrist in the book because his crusade had a strong reason behind it and the way he chose was as gentle as possible. 

Getting over that, the soundtrack is good towards the end of the movie, but it doesn't even get close to Angels and Demons, which has one of the best soundtracks in movie history. Every piece of that composition is memorable.

And the movie moves way way too fast. It should've been at least 30 minutes longer. Everything is so beautifully explained in the book. The movie makes it look easy, when it was actually really hard to figure out the clues. 

What I did appreciate the most were

Spoiler

those beautiful memories of Sienna and Zobrist's speech and ideas. Nicely made. Very compelling.

That being said, I can't wait for Dan Brown's next book and for the next adaptation. Let's be honest: this will be Sony's biggest hit of the year. And the movie was surprisingly cheap to make. There will be a sequel.

7 minutes ago, James said:

Ok, back from Inferno. Oh Gosh, so many thoughts.

So, I liked the movie for the most part. I thought it was a great ride up until the finale. And then everything went to shit. I AM PISSED. They changed the finale. Completely. It's like they missed the whole point Dan Brown was trying to make.

Hide contents

First of all, that plague, in the book, is not described as a killer virus, that would wipe out half of the world's population. Instead, it is described as a sterility virus, that, in time, would render a big chunk of the world's population infertile. And at the end of the book when they get there, the virus is already released. Sienna does not die. And the world is left to face a situation that would change it's very foundation. Of course they had to hollywood-it because apparently audiences are too moronic to accept such a finale? I don't get it. And I am pissed. It was a wonderful, very thoughtful, finale. People never actually realize how much work goes into those books Brown writes and how carefully crafted they are. Everything has a sense. And there are no villains. I was actually rooting for Zobrist in the book because his crusade had a strong reason behind it and the way he chose was as gentle as possible. 

Getting over that, the soundtrack is good towards the end of the movie, but it doesn't even get close to Angels and Demons, which has one of the best soundtracks in movie history. Every piece of that composition is memorable.

And the movie moves way way too fast. It should've been at least 30 minutes longer. Everything is so beautifully explained in the book. The movie makes it look easy, when it was actually really hard to figure out the clues. 

What I did appreciate the most were

Hide contents

those beautiful memories of Sienna and Zobrist's speech and ideas. Nicely made. Very compelling.

That being said, I can't wait for Dan Brown's next book and for the next adaptation. Let's be honest: this will be Sony's biggest hit of the year. And the movie was surprisingly cheap to make. There will be a sequel.

They changed it to be more mainstream and easier to sell. It is as simple as that. 

There won't be another sequel because Sony knows another drop is likely.