Fancyarcher

Mortal Engines | December 14, 2018 | Universal

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

there's a conspiracy theory that Jackson directed this but was so embarrassed he paid his SFX guy to feature as the director. :rofl:

32 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I think the theory is valid

I think the theory obviously does not make any sense (I imagine you are just trolling, that is a special lack of logics)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/peter-jackson-adapt-sci-fi-fantasy-mortal-engines-940892

Jackson will not sit in the director’s chair for this one, instead handing helming duties to longtime protege Christian Rivers, who will make his feature directorial debut with the fantasy.

The director was announced before the project was made, outside a time travel machine he cannot have shadow directed it and not put is name on it because it ended up being so bad.

32 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

He is all over the marketing for this movie and HE personally promoted the movie all around the world.

Yes that really give credence to the theory of him being so embarrassed that he is removing is name from the director credit valid, that is some impressive level of twisted logic to fit a wanted narrative.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Jackson is a solid director but I think he needs to something small scale for his next film, They Shall Not Grow Old was very good and I wonder if perhaps Jackson's attention was more on that than Mortal Engines

Dude, he didn't direct this

Also, looking back on it, the scale of a lot of the action in this was freaking great. The chase sequence that was shown in the first trailer was absolutely awesome on the big screen. The final showdown was also pleasantly epic. And the lore here is just AWESOME. So many things mentioned where I'm like "ughhhhhh I wish we would be getting a sequel because I would LOVE to see that on screen". World building was just terrific. 

If only the screenplay wasn't trash. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I think the theory is valid, his ego probably got bruised with the Hobbit

But The Hobbit did very well, and he probably understands that after a certain level of success the only way is down.

oscar_jackson.jpg

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Jackson is a solid director but I think he needs to something small scale for his next film, They Shall Not Grow Old was very good and I wonder if perhaps Jackson's attention was more on that than Mortal Engines

Yes, contrary to what some people seem to think (and, to be fair, what the marketing for ME implied) the only movie directed by Jackson released this year is They Shall Not Grow Old.

Edited by MrGlass2

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

But The Hobbit did very well, and he probably understands that after a certain level of success the only way is down.

oscar_jackson.jpg

tell that to Kanjiclub Inarritu who won Best Director back to back or Cuaron who's also returning to Best Director race. Some people reach the peak and then reach it again or don't fall off the cliff so easily. 

I do think that isolation from the industry is his main problem. 

• ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Some people reach the peak and then reach it again or don't fall off the cliff so easily.  

1 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey WB (NL) $1,021.1 $303.0 29.7% $718.1 70.3% 2012
2 The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug WB (NL) $958.4 $258.4 27% $700.0 73% 2013
3 The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies WB (NL) $956.0 $255.1 26.7% $700.9 73.3% 2014

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

tell that to Kanjiclub Inarritu who won Best Director back to back or Cuaron who's also returning to Best Director race.

Not only Best Director, ROTK still holds the record for most Oscars won. And let's see what happens in the Best Documentary race this year.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I think that his problem is his stubbornness to film everything in NZ exclusively (including recreating NYC there instead of filming on location, etc). That won't attract lots of top talent to his movies. Taika Waititi's gonna surpass him as NZ's greatest the way things look cause he's flexible, works everywhere. 

Maybe his mind is also on securing jobs in NZ than acting purely from self-centered motives. Just a thought.

He did shoot in Pennsylvania for Lovely Bones. Recreating NYC makes some sense as the place looks much different now than it did 80 years ago. Plus i'm sure location shooting in NYC, sealing off parts of town etc would also be very expensive.

LOTR made Jackson immortal. I coud be wrong but i doubt that Waititi dude will ever make anything remotely as amazing as that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:
1 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey WB (NL) $1,021.1 $303.0 29.7% $718.1 70.3% 2012
2 The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug WB (NL) $958.4 $258.4 27% $700.0 73% 2013
3 The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies WB (NL) $956.0 $255.1 26.7% $700.9 73.3% 2014

Not only Best Director, ROTK still holds the record for most Oscars won. And let's see what happens in the Best Documentary race this year.

Hobbit is a bad example cause it received critical meh-ness, those numbers are inflated by 3D so it definitely made less than LOTR movies and fans shrugged them off (don't generate talk like The prequels). As @Elessar says, LOTR made him immortal. And I say, true, and Hobbit made him mortal. 

But if he wins Documentary, that will be nice. What is his Documentary, BTW? 

Edited by Valonqar

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

PJ worked hard on the movie, wants it to do well, thus promotes it, but doesnt want the fallout of another misfire attached to his once prestige name.

No twisted logic there.

The director was announced in 2016 before the movie got shoot, how can this sentence:

there's a conspiracy theory that Jackson directed this but was so embarrassed he paid his SFX guy to feature as the director. 

Make any sense ? He can obviously have played it safe, knew it was risky and pre-inventively attached someone else to it or he can do what George Lucas did with many projects, wanted to do a movie but not want to write it alone or actually direct it, thinking about cool movies and just making the part that are fun are something many would do.

The misfire is quite attached to is name, look how much of the talk mention Peter Jackson in this thread and elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

The director was announced in 2016 before the movie got shoot, how can this sentence:

there's a conspiracy theory that Jackson directed this but was so embarrassed he paid his SFX guy to feature as the director. 

Make any sense ?

It doesn't. There is no conspiracy.

3 hours ago, Elessar said:

Well then, so did your beloved Aquaman.

Hobbit movies are superior to the SW prequels in pretty much every way.

An Unexpected Journey and Desolation of Smaug have their ups and downs, but both are very entertaining fantasy films. However, The Battle of te Five Armies sucked. So two are very solid, one is terrible.

Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are (apart from a few scenes and the awesome music) borderline unwatchable for me. However, ROTS is one of the greatest comedys of all time and very much enjoyable. So two are terrible, one is bad but entertaining.

Hobbit wins.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

Peter Jackson is a legend. The Lord of the Rings trilogy is a masterpiece and some of the finest movies in the history of film. You cant top something like that. His other work is all solid too and that the Hobbit movies were mostly misses is not his fault, those movies were horribly mismanaged from the studio side of things and that in the end a movie as good as Desolation of Smaug still ended up coming out of that shows how talented and dedicated Jackson is.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

An Unexpected Journey and Desolation of Smaug have their ups and downs, but both are very entertaining fantasy films. However, The Battle of te Five Armies sucked. So two are very solid, one is terrible.

BOTFA might be my favorite.

11 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I think that his problem is his stubbornness to film everything in NZ exclusively (including recreating NYC there instead of filming on location, etc). That won't attract lots of top talent to his movies. Taika Waititi's gonna surpass him as NZ's greatest the way things look cause he's flexible, works everywhere. 

NYC is recreated all over the place. They do it in Vancouver, Seattle, Atlanta, Australia; everywhere. The filming goes where the tax credits take them. In a lot of these cases it's cheaper to recreate NYC than to actually go and film stuff there.

10 hours ago, Valonqar said:

tell that to Kanjiclub Inarritu who won Best Director back to back or Cuaron who's also returning to Best Director race. Some people reach the peak and then reach it again or don't fall off the cliff so easily. 

I do think that isolation from the industry is his main problem. 

The same isolation that has the Avatar sequels and Mulan shooting in NZ? Not to forget The Meg, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, A Wrinkle In Time, Ghost in the Shell,  Pete's Dragon and a whole bunch more. There's a pretty busy film industry down here. 

10 hours ago, Valonqar said:

But if he wins Documentary, that will be nice. What is his Documentary, BTW? 

They Shall Not Grow Old. It's not eligible for Best Documentary.