Planet of the apes (2001)

18 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Planet of the apes (2001)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

a mess but still entertaining. Not as bad as people make it out to be IMO. I like the twist in the middle. Wahlberg is a bland lead and the ending sucks though

Everyone should see he great original first, to not get a bad taste in their mouths."Get you damn hands off me, you damn stinking ape!" Think that is ONE of the greatest and most shocking quotes ever heard in a movie?

How did it open to so much back then?

The ad campaign was stellar. The film didn't look like a masterpiece by any means, but it did at least look like a fun popcorn flick.

...and then, as we all know by now, it wasn't. I get that Tim Burton was trying to do something different with a familiar story, but it's so bland that there isn't much to get particularly excited or angry about. It's just... there. It's also one of very few Tim Burton movies that does not feel like it had any involvement from Burton whatsoever. Even some of his more derided recent fare (Alice in Wonderland, Dark Shadows) feels Burtonesque (see what I did there, Filmgasmers?), but this one feels as if it could have been directed by anyone. That same shrug-of-the-shoulders approach is unfortunately the story for nearly every aspect of the film. 

C

Fun Fact: Kevin Smith is completely convinced that the nonsensical ending of this film was stolen from one of his comics.

• Like 1

I don't see what's wrong with the ending. He clearly travelled into the future where the apes had developed a society that was an exact duplicate for late 20th century earth.

Webslinger: you so clever.

I remember having really high hopes for this back when it came out and being disappointed by how very ho-hum it was. Incredible make-up and production design, but Mark Wahlberg was bland as hell (which sums his entire acting career pre-The Departed) and the conclusion was a pitiful attempt at topping the shock ending of the original that made zero sense.

• Like 1

DUD.

A crap film by a backed-up toilet of a director.

At first I was wondering why you would comment on this, I thought to myself, 'what does this film have to do with Nolan'. Then I gave it some thought, Tim burton, he made the original Bat flicks, ahh, it all makes sense now. You are ever so predictable Squaremaster, if only your posts had self aware humour in them, then they would be tolerable.

Edited by jessie

Most of the third act was pretty fucking awful I give you that, but I was actually liking the movie quite a bit up until then. Thade and his temper issues makes him the most memorable villain in the franchise. It might not have Burton characteristic stamp, but sure does have flair, wanna a example of a movie that doesn't? the 2011 reboot, which in my opinion is slightly inferior to this one.

• Like 1

just rewatched this by ordering it on demand.  I am giving it an A.  I really liked the first half.  The production design and makeup are top notch and hard to find in movies these days (I am trying to finish up Ghosts of Mars and will try to have a review soon).  The music was great.  ^^like the previous post shows.  The last half was not good and is not "A" worthy, but this one struck a good mood in me.  Takes me back to a certain time when I was coming of age. 

Edited by Matrix4You