75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

20 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Guys, if I go with my family to a mall, I might get to choose between Moonlight and Arrival as a solo outing. On one hand, Moonlight isn't in that many theaters. On the other hand, Arrival might shed some theaters in the future, and I might lose an opportunity to see it. There is an art theater kind of close to me that says they're going to show Moonlight eventually, but you can never be certain. Which one do you recommend?

Two of the last three movies I've seen, as luck would have it. Moonlight will likely run like Whiplash or Room: all the way to the Oscars but never at many theatres on any given weekend. Arrival should at least be +1000 for another month but will fade a little more quickly unless Oscar buzz builds.

If you're asking which is the superior film I'll say Moonlight by a nose. Either one will make for a good solo outing.

• Like 2

I suspect Fantastic Beasts and DC films will fill the mid November slot for the foreseeable future, I imagine if Ready Player One is a hit and they decide to do a sequel, it could also another one for the mid November for WB in 2021 or 2022.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Are we talking for the next 5 years?

10?

20? 

Idk I personally believe for this era of superheroes. I can't think of another S.H movie that can top the excitement of seeing the avengers on screen for the first time but I could be wrong (most likely am)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, fracfar said:

DCEU films need to broaden their appeal to causal audiences, cuz their movies drop like rocks.

Their last movie didn't.

Also Justice League doing similar numbers to BVS would be pretty damn good. People seem to forget how much money 900m is when talking about DCU movies, for some reason.

In fact people seem to forget a lot of financial facts when talking about DCU movies.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 10

So apart from Avengers 3&4, what could be the other Billion dollar grosser superhero movie ?

Guardians 2 ?

Deadpool 2 ?

Wonder Woman ?

The Batman ?

Power Rangers ( are these guys technically superheroes?) ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

I curse myself for deciding to play it safe and going higher than I was originally thinking.

That's nothing.

I gave into peer pressure and replaced Madea Halloween with Inferno.

Probably cost me 200,000 points minimum. :sadben:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MrPink said:

While I personally preferred Arrival, if your intention is to see both at some point, you should see Moonlight first as there's no guarantee it'll get much wider than it is currently. I'm sure you will have a 2-3 week window to see Arrival and that doesn't include any Oscar expansion

22 minutes ago, fracfar said:

Based off the trailers, Moonlight looks more emotional, while Arrival looks more cerebral. Depends on your preferences, but Moonlight appealed to me more

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I liked Arrival a lot better. Much more satisfying payoff. Moonlight falls apart in the third act for me, brought the movie down significantly. 

3 minutes ago, Tau Ceti said:

Two of the last three movies I've seen, as luck would have it. Moonlight will likely run like Whiplash or Room: all the way to the Oscars but never at many theatres on any given weekend. Arrival should at least be +1000 for another month but will fade a little more quickly unless Oscar buzz builds.

If you're asking which is the superior film I'll say Moonlight by a nose. Either one will make for a good solo outing.

Alright, I've decided that if I'm in a multiplex that's showing both Moonlight and Arrival, I'm going with Moonlight. I think it's the choice I wanted all along, but for a time I thought Arrival would be more accessible for me. That turned out not to be the case.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Their last movie didn't.

Also Justice League doing similar numbers to BVS would be pretty damn good. People seem to forget how much money 900m is when talking about DCU movies, for some reason.

In fact people seem to forget a lot of financial facts when talking about DCU movies.

I don't see JL doing the same OW as BvS, if it did or a tad lower that would still break the November OW record. 

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

So apart from Avengers 3&4, what could be the other Billion dollar grosser superhero movie ?

Guardians 2 ?

Deadpool 2 ?

Wonder Woman ?

The Batman ?

The Batman, Guardians, Justice League, Spider-man, X-Force(with Deadpool)...

Lot's of prospects.

And I'll be damned if I include Power Rangers as a superhero movie. :ohmyzod:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Guardians 2 ?

Deadpool 2 ?

Wonder Woman ?

The Batman ?

I wouldn't be surprised if Guardians 2 blows up in China. The first was pretty huge for a non-sequel and they love their sequels. 

• Like 3

6 superhero movies have crosses the B mark, 4 with Iron Man & 2 with Batman.

I would argue that, if released in the 2010's, all the Raimi films would have been B$ grossers.

So apart from the big Three : Iron Man, Batman & Spiderman, no other superhero managed to cross the B$ mark (Avengers 1&2 & Civil War are not really Iron Man films tho but we all know the big part he plays in the success of the MCU).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Their last movie didn't.

SS dropped 67% in it's second weekend, then 52% in it's next one. Sure, it held pretty well over the rest of it's run. Don't get me wrong, the movie was a success. However, I bet the movie would've done even better if it had good reviews. 

Plus, I don't think that poorly reviewed movie franchises are really sustainable. That's just me, so we'll have to see how JL does.

27 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think if Warner Bros gets the Bond distribution rights, that'll be another franchise they can have under their belt for the November slot along with DC and FB.

I would say, before you get more franchises under your belt, just do the current franchises at your hand JUSTICE first. 

• Like 3