75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Nocturnal Animals is looking at $395K for the weekend for an average of around $11K, which doesn't seem that great.

Manchester by the Sea is looking at between $44-50K. I expected stronger tbh, although it does have a long running time (137 minutes).

Manchester will do more than that. It will hit 60k. Deadline is especially clueless about limited releases. 

I know last Friday was inflated but when was the last time a movie expanded this poorly? Then again Moonlight is seriously overrated so I get it. 

10.) Moonlight (A24) 650 theaters (+474) $373K Fri. (-12%)  3-day cume: $1.237M (-2%) / Total: $6.4M / Wk 5

I seriously can't believe how Hardy STX fucked Edge of Seventeen. Why the hell they didn't keep the original release date? It would have a lot more of space in the dead October than now. And if they're targeting Oscars, why not release it in December where it could at least develop amazing legs? This movie was the chance to make Hailee an A-list star and now is going to be completely ignored by the public thanks to that terrible release date. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FilmBuff said:

Fantastic beasts kind of f'ed everything over, and even its opening isn't that good. I'm glad it'll drop hard too next weekend.

I doubt its bcos of FB(Except may be strange which is kind of similar). Last friday was veteran's day and so movies will drop hard this friday which is a normal work/school day.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Dr. Strange and FB have not only a similar theme but also a similar budget and will probably end up with a similar WW gross.

But one did much better than expected and the other slightly below expectations.

Does this bode well for the sequels?

I don't think FB opening numbers warrant 4 more films. Considering what it cost to make, these numbers barely justify a sequel.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm a little worried Moana is going to pull a Good Dinosaur next weekend.

Any ideas why Good Dinosaur did so bad?

Moana's reviews are much better. I don't think it'll do as good as Zootopia but it has the critic/wom advantage over Trolls so I'm sure it'll be fine.

• Like 3

I think there are factors of TGD's underperformance.

1. The marketing for that film were almost non-existent. Since Disney focused more on SW:EP7.

2. Pixar probably felt like it wasn't going to do well anyway.

3. It didn't even win it's weekend.

But just because TGD underperformed on the Thanksgiving-weekend....doesn't suddenly mean that every newcoming animated film will underperform all the time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I expect WOM to be a big thing during the next few weeks. TGDs wasn't enough to get people inside, I'm betting that's totally different for Moana.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I don't think FB opening numbers warrant 4 more films. Considering what it cost to make, these numbers barely justify a sequel.

LOL, this is opening weekend, it's doing very well overseas, there will be sequels, even if it had done horribly, I doubt WB would be like "yeah JK, you know.... your 5 films story arc that you wanted to tell? well yeah, you can shove it". 

Let's stop with the hyperbole for one sec, 600 M WW is going to be the bare minimum, it will probably do better than that, they can build on that on the sequels. Not to mention they're casting young Dumbledore for it, have a trailer where you emphasize that Dumbledore (even young) is in the movie, a new setting (it'll take place in Europe, Paris mostly), and you're printing money.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I seriously can't believe how Hardy STX fucked Edge of Seventeen. Why the hell they didn't keep the original release date? It would have a lot more of space in the dead October than now. And if they're targeting Oscars, why not release it in December where it could at least develop amazing legs? This movie was the chance to make Hailee an A-list star and now is going to be completely ignored by the public thanks to that terrible release date. 

Hailee is never going to be an A-list star, no matter how many movies or songs she does. It's also really hard to make a teen comedy pop. That's why it happens so rarely. I mean what was the last one? Easy A? And the one before? Mean Girls? And prior to that, Bring It On and Clueless. That's like 4 or 5 teen comedies that truly popped in the last 20 years.