75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

18 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Trying to follow Sony's logic with Billy Lynn - Lets make a movie in a new format and ensure literally no one can see it in that format 

Well, I've seen it costs about a million bucks for one screening room to upgrade it. They were never going to commit that amount of money to make sure most theaters could be upgraded, this isn't The Hateful Eight where most of the film projectors are lying around. And it's not just the Christie 4KLH projector (which is not supposed to be a commercial projector by the way), it's a huge chain of equipment presented here : ANG-LEES-IBC-2016-6P-4K-120fps-projectio

And this is a technology that is just too divisive, it's clear from Film-Tech (projectionist forum) that Sony did NOT do its job properly to set up a wide HFR release (despite Ang & his crew working tirelessly on ten different formats to accomodate every theater out there),  that they did this way too late in the game, that it's a "small" budgeted movie (40 million), that there were tensions between Rothman & Ang Lee on the HFR, which probably didn't help. Then, Sony probably saw the NYFF's backlash to it, and thought it wasn't worth the hassle.

ACTUALLY, Sony was still planning on at least 4 different formats a few weeks ago, and then scrapped their plans. 

It's funny that China has the 3D 60 fps version, there is also the 2K 2D/3D 120 fps Dolby Vision version playing in some select Dolby Theaters, and overseas might see more HFR shows. Sony just f**** Ang & the movie by delaying it one week last minute, not to mention, someone's said it's already gone from the Arclight Hollywood, they just took a huge dump on it and walked away, shameful.

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, James said:

That would be insane considering the max Potter got there was DH2's 30m and most of the other Potters didn't even break 20m.

yeah, KRW became stronger and whlie Potter movies earned respectable amount of money, somehow Koreans were not that BIG Potterheads nor fantasy/SF/animation fans in general. Think Marvel and Nolan have kinda changed the scope of the market here. And the Korean market is pretty empty at the moment, too. FB is literally like the only big player now. It should do well. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

Going to see FB in a couple of hours. Not super pumped or anything. I enjoyed the HP movies for the most part and it looks solid so we'll see. 

If it hits 75m OW I can see it doing 190-200m DOM

If this is a multi film franchise, that's a weak domestic opening for a first film. Really no other way to spin it. Or your argument could be the USA continues to be less important for certain properties that have gone global.

• Like 3

For what is essentially an original film with new characters, taking place in NY during the 20s, I'd say it's a strong opening that sequels can build on. Especially with the presence of young Dumbledore in the sequel. This doesn't have Gandalf, Middle Earth or Bilbo like The Hobbit films did, or Vader & preestablished world like Rogue One does. 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

What's everyone thinking for the Thanksgiving openers? Moana will obviously be massive but Allied is kind of a question mark and Bad Santa 2 and Rules Don't Apply look like blips.

Allied 6-7M 3-day weekend. Rules seem like something for critics only and Santa 2 is like 10 years too late.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

snip

Friday after Veterans Day too fell on a Friday

Friday, November 18, 2011

3 1 Immortals Rela. $3,814,582 +141% -74% 3,120 $1,223 $44,542,512 8
4 2 Jack and Jill Sony $3,470,157 +314% -65% 3,438 $1,009 $32,498,063 8
5 3 Puss in Boots P/DW $2,550,665 +218% -71% 3,415 $747 $114,138,227 22
6 5 Tower Heist Uni. $2,147,775 +228% -55% 2,942 $730 $48,581,550 15
7 4 J. Edgar WB $1,795,284 +143% -58% 1,947 $922 $16,589,978 10
8 6 A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas WB $912,742 +101% -60% 1,808 $505 $26,345,588 15
- 8 Paranormal Activity 3 Par. $333,285 +91% -76% 1,402 $238 $101,951,962 29
- 9 Footloose (2011) Par. $269,529 +113% -74% 1,218 $221 $49,575,209 36
- - Like Crazy ParV $153,249 +225% -7% 108 $1,419 $1,398,255 22
- 13 Moneyball Sony $145,690 +120% -61% 409 $356 $72,274,594 57
- 11 Real Steel BV $133,913 +44% -80% 702 $191 $82,137,959 43

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2011-11-18&view=1day&p=.htm

I think it is also about the partly same age audience and so on.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

If this is a multi film franchise, that's a weak domestic opening for a first film. Really no other way to spin it. Or your argument could be the USA continues to be less important for certain properties that have gone global.

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Most studios take a lessor share of international revenue compared to the US take so I'm sure WB won't exactly be pleased in the same year BvS was rather meh here as well.

That is true, but this will still be profitable. And much much more important, it is great advertising for the merchandise and theme parks which is where the real money comes from. Just think that between 2012 and 2016 the Wizarding World brand gained more than 4b in value, reaching an unbelievable 25b (second only to SW). That 4b is as much as brands as LOTR/Twilight are worth overall and without any movie released.

And even without the insane merchandise revenues, let's be honest, the sequels could make 100m DOM, but they would still do at least 550-600m WW. Which studio wouldn't want such a franchise?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, James said:

That is true, but this will still be profitable. And much much more important, it is great advertising for the merchandise and theme parks which is where the real money comes from. Just think that between 2012 and 2016 the Wizarding World brand gained more than 4b in value, reaching an unbelievable 25b (second only to SW). That 4b is as much as brands as LOTR/Twilight are worth overall and without any movie released.

And even without the insane merchandise revenues, let's be honest, the sequels could make 100m DOM, but they would still do at least 550-600m WW. Which studio wouldn't want such a franchise?

HP brand is strong man, I will never disagree with that. FB in fairness doesn't have HP though even though it's set in the same universe. Clearly mattered in its opening.

side note: Disney is directly creating SW Land because of Wizarding World so that gives you an idea of how valuable it is.

4 minutes ago, James said:

Well, Warners' last 1B movie is TH1, no? And even that one made 'only' 1021M. So quite sure Tsujihara would like to finally produce a massive, massive hit.

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

HP brand is strong man, I will never disagree with that. FB in fairness doesn't have HP though even though it's set in the same universe. Clearly mattered in its opening.

side note: Disney is directly creating SW Land because of Wizarding World so that gives you an idea of how valuable it is.

I didn't know that. And yes, it mattered. I just hope that the lack of rush in the OW means better than usual legs. 

38 minutes ago, James said:

In fact, they haven't left the NYT Children's List at all in the last 9 years. Not even for a week.

I am running a library in a school = also for parents, teacher,...

Only because a book is listed as children book does not mean the main reading group are the children.

There are actual not many children reading Harry Potter, its the opposite, only a few = might be another situation in another region / country / ...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AHepBurn said:

I really don't think FB is going to be front loaded. It's a HP spinoff but tangentally connected, contains none of the main characters and has no large connection to the main book series. It's simply not built as something HP fans will absolutely have to see first day/week but is set up as something that should pull in enough casual interest that should bode well for a solid run.

I agree. My girlfriend is an insane Potter fan and even she's waiting till later today to watch it. There's no rush factor for even the most ardent of fans. 

16 minutes ago, bapi said:

Well, Warners' last 1B movie is TH1, no? And even that one made 'only' 1021M. So quite sure Tsujihara would like to finally produce a massive, massive hit.

I agree. It would look good in headlines. I actually recently read an interview by him saying (and that's really really true) that some people move past WB because they don't have the massive Disney hits, despite the fact that they make an insane amount of money on smaller films. I even see people on this forum, who know the workings of BO, that put Universal way above WB thanks to that last year record. But a movie studio is strong when they can thrive every year, not just when they have all their franchises lined up. WB is constantly doing it and it isn't just because they release more movies. Those movies make them money. If not they would stop making them. I mean look at the numbers. WB made more than 1.5b yearly DOM for the past 9 years. The only year Universal made over 1.5b was last year. They easily will miss the mark this year.

Edited by James
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bapi said:

WB also benefitted from strong foreign exchange rates to get their $1B films. Would they have anything besides Deathly Hallows 2 if today's shitty rates were present in 2008-2012?

Edited by kswiston
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I am running a library in a school = also for parents, teacher,...

Only because a book is listed as children book does not mean the main reading group are the children.

There are actual not many children reading Harry Potter, its the opposite, only a few = might be another situation in another region / country / ...

But then what's the explanation? 

If the ones buying it are not kids, then it means the franchise is expanding among older people? Why? I mean, it makes little sense, unless HP entered that sacred ground where it is considered a classic. I have no doubt it will achieve that someday, but it seems to soon to me. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Is Wizarding World one of the most popular theme parks?