FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

I actually never had the girls-are-yucky phase, Beauty and the Beast was my childhood favourite for as long as I can remember. (and it came out when I was 3, so I don't even remember the first time I saw it)

I was a really nerdy, introverted kid though so I would have neither known nor cared whether boys were supposed to like Princess films or not. I don't think I even found out about that until reading about the gender-neutral naming of Tangled and Frozen.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

I actually never had the girls-are-yucky phase, Beauty and the Beast was my childhood favourite for as long as I can remember. (and it came out when I was 3, so I don't even remember the first time I saw it)

I was a really nerdy, introverted kid though so I would have neither known nor cared whether boys were supposed to like Princess films or not. I don't think I even found out about that until reading about the gender-neutral naming of Tangled and Frozen.

I never really had it either, but I knew it existed. It made me feel intellectually superior.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, James said:

That is an amazing number for Moana, but, like Tele said, overreaction is the nature of this forum. As amazing as it is, this is still a 2016 and a Tuesday midnight. And WDAS is way more established than it was in 2013, just like Marvel is, so I don't really see the point in saying: it makes double what Frozen did on midnights, so it will clearly do more. Does that take away from what a great number it is? Of course not. But better wait for the OD figure before starting to argue with people about a projection.

Discounts DO NOT apply for new movies. It being on Tuesday is irrelevant. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 2

Would be nice to know how many of the US chains (if any) offered Moana previews with Tuesday discounts.

The largest Canadian theatre chain (Cineplex) didn't even offer Moana in previews at any of their theatres in the Greater Toronto Area. Stinkers.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Actually, if Disney really did take over the world, it probably wouldn't be an evil empire at all. Everyone would be friends with each other and the whole planet would look like that creepy Celebration town.

'Nice' appearance the outside, but in other details I guess they would be far more rigorous about PC and so on as the most would like.

The one smile I can't stop for the moment is:

Foreign Secretary of the State or ... Foreign Minister (term?) e.g. the people doing the negotiations with China see Disney Parks, films,...

Those at least know how China works, have experience, know what they do.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

lol for years (and still happening now) there's always been the fear of turning off little boys from seeing a "girl" movie. Remember when they changed Chicken Little from a female to a male because of that reason?

I mean just look at the theatrical domestic poster for Frozen. lmao.

Hide contents

- snip -

Was that seriously the official poster?

27 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I heard from a lot of non Harry Potter fans that they went to see FB and they liked it, it's just that it seems the majority of them was over 25...

Last I read ~ 58% were over 25y old, a bit less than Doctor Strange's audience = I think ~ 63% over 25y olds. Difference is also the male/female ratio, DS had 58% male, FB I think was 52% female (not sure)

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

$6m-$7m OD for Beasts in Japan. It'll drop big the next two days because its OD was inflated by the holiday, but we'll see how it'll end up soon enough.

How's Beasts doing in France? Can it hit 3m admissions?

Holiday comedy sequel 'Bad Santa 2' took in $350K; Robert Zemeckis' spy thriller 'Allied' earned $600K; and Warren Beatty's 'Rules Don't Apply' grabbed $65K Tuesday.

Edited by terrestrial

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

$6m-$7m OD for Beasts in Japan. It'll drop big the next two days because its OD was inflated by the holiday, but we'll see how it'll end up soon enough.

How's Beasts doing in France? Can it hit 3m admissions?

1,4m admissions in France for first week, very, very good, 4th best week of 2016.

Will do easily 3m, will end up around 3,5m I think.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

1,4m admissions in France for first week, very, very good, 4th best week of 2016.

Will do easily 3m, will end up around 3,5m I think.

I'm glad to hear. I only wanted it to do over 50% of DH2 in admissions. 

Just now, Noctis said:

I'm glad to hear. I only wanted it to do over 50% of DH2 in admissions. 

in Korea it has a shot of being the biggest Potterverse entry with about 4.5M~5M adm. currently at about 2.5M and no major threats till mid-late December.

38 minutes ago, yjs said:

dayam, it would be a bummer. I actually like both actors. Lily is adorable and Alden was such a revelation in Hail Ceasar.

Honestly, I think Rules Don't Apply should have been released at a different date, say October or March. Otherwise, it seems like Fox pretty much dumped the film.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Honestly, I think Rules Don't Apply should have been released at a different date, say October or March. Otherwise, it seems like Fox pretty much dumped the film.

yeah.. unless Warren Beatty insisted this be a big Thanksgiving hit.... :P 

• Like 2