FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Considering that Coco is the closest thing to resembling a quality animated film next year, I suspect that will work to its advantage when it opens even if it isn't about princesses

Mark my words, Captain Underpants is going to come out of nowhere and surprise us all.

4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

So people aren't hyping up for dark and gritty Cars 3? :P

I actually think it could surprise quality-wise but it still won't make much more than 200m because of the reputation of Cars 2 imho. I'm betting on 150m-160m.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Good Dinosaur was a troubled production so it was either going to be really successful or as it did flop badly. The Thanksgiving slot can either be really good as we've seen with Frozen, Tangled and now Moana or it can be really bad as evident with TGD, Penguins of Madagascar and Rise of the Guardians. 

I would say the first weekend of November is a better slot for animated films even though it's had its fair share of flops

I wouldn't say "flop badly".

The Good Dinosaur made 330m+ WW with merchandising, DVD, 3rd party sales, etc......it broke even worse case. 

Probably made a few million.....

Edited by Ocho

32 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I think 2009 will remain the high watermark for a very long time. Up, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Mary and Max, The Secret of Kells, Coraline, Ponyo, Cloudy, and The Princess and the Frog - a huge variety of animation styles and all really good to fantastic movies. Don't think this year can go up against that at all.

Well this is easily one of the best years for blockbuster animation.

2009 is definitely the indie animation highmark, tho. :ph34r:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It would've opened on Thanksgiving weekend had Penguins of Madagascar not claimed that date though.

Yeah, but it looks like the best weekend to release boy's animation is the first weekend of November and the best weekend for princesses is Thanksgiving 5 day.

But I'm sure Disney is way ahead of us. :qotd:

8 minutes ago, Ocho said:

I wouldn't say "flop badly".

The Good Dinosaur made 330m+ WW with merchandising, DVD, 3rd party sales, etc......it broke even worse case. 

Probably made a few million.....

$332m WW on a $250m budget isn't good at all. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1