FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

Real wed is smaller than frozen.

Frozen wins weekend and 5 day

How much did Frozen and Moana make on their Tuesday nights previews again?

EDIT: Never mind it. I found it.

1.2m for Frozen
2.6m for Moana.

So for True Wednesdays without previews
13.9m Frozen
13.1m Moana

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4244&p=.htm

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Poseidon said:

So with everybody falling in love with Moana.

Where did the early buzz of a mediocre movie come from?
It happens now with every 2nd movie. It killed Ghostbusters, it's about to kill Passengers. They tried it with Moana.

I'm really to starting to ask, if this is a studio war including social bots. 

I feel like it's getting worse and worse. 

Social Media is so full of negativity. 

People just need to ignore Twitter reactions. There has been some fan friendly films getting unreasonably good buzz beforehand as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poseidon said:

So with everybody falling in love with Moana.

Where did the early buzz of a mediocre movie come from?
It happens now with every 2nd movie. It killed Ghostbusters, it's about to kill Passengers. They tried it with Moana.

I'm really to starting to ask, if this is a studio war including social bots. 

I feel like it's getting worse and worse. 

Social Media is so full of negativity. 

I disagree that social media killed Ghostbusters. That remake or whatever it was was totally unnecessary yet it was too expensive but headlined by actresses who are boxoffice non-entities overseas. This type of a budget required a global star power and it simply didn't have one. That's why I'm sure that Ocean's Ocho is going to be a hit since Bullock is headlining the movie. Moreover, nostalgia on both sides of the pond was not strong and WOM was mediocre. It does appear that Feig tried to stir a controversy to boost interest in the movie but that fell flat on its face. It's really the combo of unnecessary movie going way over-budget while having nothing to fall back on.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

That remake or whatever it was was totally unnecessary yet it was too expensive but headlined by actresses who are boxoffice non-entities overseas. 

None of that has anything to do with the quality of the actual movie, though. (To say nothing of the fact that a genial, pretty mild movie got savaged with some of the nastiest social media crap this side of GamerGate.)

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I disagree that social media killed Ghostbusters. That remake or whatever it was was totally unnecessary yet it was too expensive but headlined by actresses who are boxoffice non-entities overseas. This type of a budget required a global star power and it simply didn't have one. That's why I'm sure that Ocean's Ocho is going to be a hit since Bullock is headlining the movie. Moreover, nostalgia on both sides of the pond was not strong and WOM was mediocre. It does appear that Feig tried to stir a controversy to boost interest in the movie but that fell flat on its face. It's really the combo of unnecessary movie going way over-budget while having nothing to fall back on.

This. It wasn't the evil mysognist trolls that killed it, it was the director and media flinging shit on everyone who didn't like the trailers, which caused them to hate it even more. The fact the movie wasn't that good made it even worse.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

This. It wasn't the evil mysognist trolls that killed it, it was the director and media flinging shit on everyone who didn't like the trailers, which caused them to hate it even more. The fact the movie wasn't that good made it even worse.

Every chance it had to become its own movie was ignored to instead be the exact same as the first movie. The only time that works is if you acknowledge the first movies existed in your universe. That is the difference between what Jurassic World and TFA did vs what Ghostbusters did.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

None of that has anything to do with the quality of the actual movie, though. (To say nothing of the fact that a genial, pretty mild movie got savaged with some of the nastiest social media crap this side of GamerGate.)

But GA didn't know anything about social media war for and against Ghostbusters. They simply didn't care for the movie. Not just American GA but worldwide one. They don't know about stuff like Internet wars, movie reshoots, whether Han Solo movie was rumored to have only WoC on the shortlist and than ended up casting a white actress, etc. They go by previews which weren't great and than by WOM which obviously wasn't great.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

This movie was doomed from the start. I've been wondering lately just why it turned out to be such a shitshow... I mean, movie isn't really good, but to make it appear like the devil itself was really something coming from social media. And then came the articles about how it UTTERLY BOMBED at the box office while we've all here seen much, much worse performance from movies in general (even though it did do pretty bad)

Anyway, we could go on and on about this, it just seems like re-booting a property that's dear to lots of people can, indeed, backfire horribly.

Also, kinda random but imma purchase the remastered blu-ray release of Lawrence of Arabia since it's black friday, anyone watched this version? it's a fairly recent remaster, and apparently, incredible.

Maybe @Grand Moff Tele , @Christmas Baumer ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

But GA didn't know anything about social media war for and against Ghostbusters. They simply didn't care for the movie. Not just American GA but worldwide one. They don't know about stuff like Internet wars, movie reshoots, whether Han Solo movie was rumored to have only WoC on the shortlist and than ended up casting a white actress, etc. They go by previews which weren't great and than by WOM which obviously wasn't great.

Not getting a China release also definitely hurt it. Both Ghostbusters and Star Trek Beyond crossed 10M in only 2 OS markets (not counting China). The China performance somewhat bailed out Beyond (took it from a total flop to only a minor flop). It was weird seeing both those movies just being outright rejected OS.

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Every chance it had to become its own movie was ignored to instead be the exact same as the first movie. The only time that works is if you acknowledge the first movies existed in your universe. That is the difference between what Jurassic World and TFA did vs what Ghostbusters did.

The fact they had the original cast in cameo roles that weren't their characters made that aspect even worse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It had a 44m OW and made 130m. That's decent for a comedy thriller. Yes, the budget was too much but only Sony should care about that. Instead, out of all the movie being made, that was the one to get a ton of racist hate and general garbage. Because of the budget, it's a financial failure theatrically, but beyond that there's a real "blame the victim" vibe that the Internet has embraced. 

• Like 7

Just now, robertman2 said:

The fact they had the original cast in cameo roles that weren't their characters made that aspect even worse.

True. The solution was right there the entire time too, all that fans wanted was a "passing the torch" movie. Instead they alienated the fans, and didn't even cast actors who could get non-fans into the theater. I am not a Ghostbusters fan, but I can understand where some of them are coming from based on franchises I like - basically they want the past to be acknowledged as mattering to canon. Star Trek was probably the most effective reboot to achieve that while going in a completely new direction.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

True. The solution was right there the entire time too, all that fans wanted was a "passing the torch" movie. 

I don't buy this at all. Whether intentionally or not, this is basically normalizing the original internet response, which was "yuck! Women!"

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

True. The solution was right there the entire time too, all that fans wanted was a "passing the torch" movie. Instead they alienated the fans, and didn't even cast actors who could get non-fans into the theater. I am not a Ghostbusters fan, but I can understand where some of them are coming from based on franchises I like - basically they want the past to be acknowledged as mattering to canon. Star Trek was probably the most effective reboot to achieve that while going in a completely new direction.

Every reboot should be like Trek 09 if possible. That's the gold standard for reboots IMO

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Nah man, they wanted 4 dudes. End of.

Maybe a token female, as long as she was very hot and dumber than the 3 leads guys.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I don't buy this at all. Whether intentionally or not, this is basically normalizing the original internet response, which was "yuck! Women!"

Not necessarily. Taking an example from comics, DC's "New 52" was a big failure despite having good stories, varied viewpoints and elevation of new characters, and this was because it was a hard reboot which said "Nothing prior to this moment matters". They realized their mistake 4 years later and the reason "Rebirth" has worked so well is that it did away with the hard reboot and instead took the line "Everything that has ever happened in DC history matters (including the new 52)". The rest remains the same, there are new stars, new stories, new characters etc. but the fact that long time readers now feel that the stories they supported still matter in the current canon is the big difference. The difference in reception between the 2 approaches is night and day so far.