FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's been a few decades, but I would think 1941 would count, I think.  At least the cut that was in the theaters (and not the expanded version which is MUCH better received).

So let's say he has had two huge money losers in 40+ years of film making.  That's kind of amazing.

• Like 10

On my phone so I can't look it up but ALWAYS might be another for Spielberg. I know it wasn't critically well-received. And while it's not a huge bomb it's likely that HOOK lost money for awhile (though I'm sure HV eventually saved it). 

Edit: also AMISTAD and EMPIRE OF THE SUN. 

Edit #2: never mind on HOOK, overseas saved it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

On my phone so I can't look it up but ALWAYS might be another for Spielberg. I know it wasn't critically well-received. And while it's not a huge bomb it's likely that HOOK lost money for awhile (though I'm sure HV eventually saved it). 

lmao I recently saw Always again (for the first time in like eons) on Netflix for some reason. Talk about a forgotten Spielberg effort. Not to mention Ghost came along the following year and beat it all on fronts.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

I mean, there is literally no director with a better financial success record than Spielberg. The small number of flops he's had is laughable compared to the literal tens of billions of $ he's made the studios.

Even Nolan? (If you were to average it out per movie?) I would expect Nolan and Cameron to compete at per movie levels, but very true that Spielberg's vision and success have continued over decades . 

53 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

So let's say he has had two huge money losers in 40+ years of film making.  That's kind of amazing.

All of this hail Nolan, hail Abrams, hail Cameron is just fluff to the real God Spielberg.

• Like 1

Guys like Nolan, Cameron etc. are great, no doubt about it. But in my opinion, Spielberg is the greatest director of all time because he's proven that he can make at least very good films, if not classics in pretty much every genre there is. This guy made Jurassic Park and Schindler's List in the SAME YEAR. Two movies that literally couldn't be anymore different from each other, yet both are masterpieces (IMO).

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Munich was one although it was critically acclaimed, The BFG which I really liked wasn't financially successful and 1941 was a flop as well

1941 wasn't a flop per-say, but it did disappointment and not meet expectations at the time. Empire of The Sun was also another Spielberg film that didn't much of make a profit theatrically. 

Edit: Tele already mentioned it. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Edit: also AMISTAD and EMPIRE OF THE SUN. 

Edit #2: never mind on HOOK, overseas saved it. 

Hook did well.  It made 300 WW on 70 budget

According to imd b the budget on Always was 31 mill and it made 75 WW, so again, not a bomb.

Amistad:  35 mill budget and a 44 mill domestic gross and no gross listed internationally

Empire of the Sun:  35 mill budget and a 66 mill gross WW....so again not great but not a bomb.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, parkerthegreat said:

Even Nolan? (If you were to average it out per movie?) I would expect Nolan and Cameron to compete at per movie levels, but very true that Spielberg's vision and success have continued over decades . 

Nolan's much younger and hasn't been around as long as Spielberg has. Give him at least a decade. For all we know, he could produce a bunch of flops. 

When Spielberg or any director in town has a question, he calls James Cameron.

Without James Cameron, Jurassic Park would have not have been a game changing movie.

There can only be one God.

Cameron has the genius of Spielberg as a director.

Cameron has the foresight of Lucas on the use of technology.

Cameron has an intricate knowledge of absolutely every element of the movie he s directing, just like Kubrick, nothing is random.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

When Spielberg or any director in town has a question, he calls James Cameron.

Without James Cameron, Jurassic Park would have not have been a game changing movie.

There can only be one God.

Cameron has the genius of Spielberg as a director.

Cameron has the foresight of Lucas on the use of technology.

Cameron has an intricate knowledge of absolutely every element of the movie he s directing, just like Kubrick, nothing is random.

Piranha 2

• Like 1