Water Bottle

Get Out | February 24th | Under Comedy/Musical Category at Golden Globes

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

You shouldn't take the 100% Tomatometer to imply that this is an absolutely perfect movie. Its average rating is lower than the three big BP contenders from last year. 

Who cares? It's still a massive achievement.

So far there isn't a RT critic who didn't like the film.

18 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Who cares? It's still a massive achievement.

So far there isn't a RT critic who didn't like the film.

I meant that in the context that some are coming away from this underwhelmed that it's not their favorite horror movie ever and using that as an indictment on the "accuracy" of RT.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Just coming in late to say cabin in the woods is trash. Absolutely no point to it except to watch the filmmakers jerk themselves off.

That's totally fair. I completely disagree with that sentiment but I could say it towards a lot of movies that are praised here...

1 hour ago, Jessie said:

This doesnt excite me, when a horror gets this much praise its usually shit, just look at 'it follows' and 'babadook' great reviews, nobody cares

I thought It Follows had amazing atmosphere and was worth the hype until the ending. It doesn't hold up as well on rewatches for me though. 

I completely agree with you on The Babadook though. Was so excited for that one too.

Don't really care about the box office for horror movies. I only care if the film is good. Some of my favorite ones recently haven't even hit theaters. It feels like the ones that do have to give up the slow burn a lot in order to not bore today's ADD audience too.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Well, I don't hold CITW in such high regard, though I did enjoy it. So take my comments about it with a grain of salt, I guess. (In particular, I found GET OUT far more satisfying, ultimately, than CITW). I can't really get specific without going into spoilers, but the assumption you're making (which I don't think is true in this case), is that GET OUT has a particular political commentary that you have to take a side about (or have a side to already be on). The movie is actually much slyer than that -- it pokes barbs at a great many things, and they're not all of one political angle. That's why I objected to the word "politics" in the first place.

It delves into a lot of the same general territory as ROSEMARY'S BABY and STEPFORD WIVES, though they were looking at gender roles and expectations and this is more an examination of racial attitudes and feelings. I don't think it's as "clever" in terms of horror tropes as CITW, but it's not really trying to be, either. And again, for all its cleverness, CITW fell flat for me (in the end) and GET OUT. Of course, YMMV.

Rosemary's Baby, Stepford Wives, Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, Manchurian Candidate and Hot Fuzz were the ones I thought of most while watching Get Out. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jessie said:

The point was to entertain, you know, the sole purpose of cinema? 

well it wasn't funny or scary. but if you're entertained by folks jerking themselves off to how much they know about horror films that's none of my business.

• Like 1