POTUS 2020

Weekend BO- Actuals Mo 18.53, OCP 16.89, FB 10.43, Arr 5.58, NA 3.16, MbtS 3.13

If we're still discussing sitcoms, little peeved I haven't seen anyone mention The Office. Obviously not a perfect show, and it had anywhere from two to five terrible seasons depending on your taste, but it's one of the most quotable and influential sitcoms ever IMO. I feel like it's not talked about as much anymore since Parks and Rec perfected the formula, but at its peak (seasons 2-4) it was a force to be reckoned with. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Eevin said:

If we're still discussing sitcoms, little peeved I haven't seen anyone mention The Office. Obviously not a perfect show, and it had anywhere from two to five terrible seasons depending on your taste, but it's one of the most quotable and influential sitcoms ever IMO. I feel like it's not talked about as much anymore since Parks and Rec perfected the formula, but at its peak (seasons 2-4) it was a force to be reckoned with. 

And, of course, the under-appreciated LARRY SANDERS SHOW, an early pioneer of that sort of unsettling, socially awkward comedy.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Xavier said:

I think that is very true about the whole world except the US. I don't think Seinfeld gained any traction in Europe, for example. But people just love, love Friends.

Would you say Seinfeld is more popular than Friends in the US?

They say they can tell what kind of person you are by your preference for Friends or Seinfeld.

Friends is like mall-friendly pop music, Seinfeld is like a garage band. Friends is nice & sweet,

Seinfeld is bitter-sweet. Friends is for dog lovers, Seinfeld cat lovers. Friends wraps truth in a 

nice Hershey-coated candy, Seinfeld is the truth.

• Like 1

I went basically as far back as possible last year and watched the first season of I Love Lucy. Had fun with it, and Ball especially was a fantastic actress, but I also learned quick and hard that it's an almost impossible show to watch when you're used to the concept of binging. In every way it was made exactly so that you could get a small dose of basically the same thing once a week. I assume that's the case with most/all non-anthology shows made more than two or three decades ago. (By contrast, The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents are an absolute gift today, so many stylish and cool entirely self-contained and wildly different stories you don't need to spend more than 30 minutes on). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

And, of course, the under-appreciated LARRY SANDERS SHOW, an early pioneer of that sort of unsettling, socially awkward comedy.

RIP Garry Shandling :sadben:Feels like 2016 is taking away so many legends. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, zackzack said:

They say they can tell what kind of person you are by your preference for Friends or Seinfeld.

Friends is like mall-friendly pop music, Seinfeld is like a garage band. Friends is nice & sweet,

Seinfeld is bitter-sweet. Friends is for dog lovers, Seinfeld cat lovers. Friends wraps truth in a 

nice Hershey-coated candy, Seinfeld is the truth.

I dont agree with this at all. I love both shows and they were part of must see TV on Thursday nights for years. In fact they played back-to-back so Their audiences definitely overlap. I don't think you have to choose between friends and Seinfeld.....you can love them both equally.

• Like 4

I dont agree with this at all. I love both shows and they were part of must see TV on Thursday nights for years. In fact they played back-to-back so Their audiences definitely overlap. I don't think you have to choose between friends and Seinfeld.....you can love them both equally.

Totally agree (althou for me Friends are more beautiful, hence it was easier to relate with Seinfelds characters. It is a bit like comparing US and UK police series). I like both, but I love Frasier.

Hope that Moana does well this weekend [emoji4]
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ttr said:

Totally agree (althou for me Friends are more beautiful, hence it was easier to relate with Seinfelds characters. It is a bit like comparing US and UK police series). I like both, but I love Frasier.

Hope that Moana does well this weekend emoji4.png

The only truly beautiful person on Friends was Courtney Cox. Aniston is...well groomed and toned. The rest...eh.