Weekend BO- Actuals Mo 18.53, OCP 16.89, FB 10.43, Arr 5.58, NA 3.16, MbtS 3.13

All the other non-Chicago big musical hits post-2000 adjusted:

Mamma Mia        172,8 Million

Les Mis               160,7

Enchanted          158,7

Hairspray            148,8

Into the Woods   135,4

Dreamgirls          130,8

Let's see if it can get in this range before we start the 200m crazy talk. 

The PTA if it holds is a very good indicator that it has way more buzz than the usual BP-frontrunner buzz but it's still too early. 

• Like 1

Just now, Joel M said:

Enchanted          158,7

Into the Woods   135,4

The PTA if it holds is a very good indicator that it has way more buzz than the usual BP-frontrunner buzz but it's still too early. 

What really helps is that movie actually works very well as a drama, which probably gets more attention than the musical aspect. That will make it easier to win over those who are typically averse to musicals.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Enchanted          158,7

Into the Woods   135,4

Right now im looking at Dreamgirls as a barometer. That opened with a 126k PTA from 3 theaters, eventually making 103m domestic. I think that's a possible total for La La Land.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Paramount’s fifth weekend of sci-fier “Arrival” will probably come in fourth with about $6 million, pushing it past the $80 million mark domestically. 

Woo!

If that holds up, that's a 17.5% drop! (For reference, Gravity dropped 36% and The Martian dropped 26% on their respective fifth weekends.) $100m is the floor at this point. $110m+ could happen.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Right now im looking at Dreamgirls as a barometer. That opened with a 126k PTA from 3 theaters, eventually making 103m domestic. I think that's a possible total for La La Land.

my only thing about that is Dreamgirls never took off as the Critical BP darling (or ever really) outside of Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy's performances - it couldn't get the traction needed. La La Land already has that in spades.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eevin said:

If that holds up, that's a 17.5% drop! (For reference, Gravity dropped 36% and The Martian dropped 26% on their respective fifth weekends.) $100m is the floor at this point. $110m+ could happen.

Paramount has done a great job at keeping it afloat, however, it like all the other already in release films has to survive the glut of films from the 16th - 25th and it will lose a large share of it's TC between now and then. 90m is the floor and 100m+ is what we are aiming for with a good Oscar campaign.

• Like 1

That estimated Arrival drop is pretty great, 100M seems like a strong bet at this point. Amy Adams has quite the sexy legs, between that and Nocturnal Animals.

(my knees buckled a bit when I saw that pic)

Also, OCP doing decent enough business.

But, yeah.... La La Land. I thought Moonlight reaching 100K was fantastic, LLL is gonna DOUBLE that. Infuckingsane, if true. Don't wanna get my hopes too high, but holy fucking shit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Paramount has done a great job at keeping it afloat, however, it like all the other already in release films has to survive the glut of films from the 16th - 25th and it will lose a large share of it's TC between now and then. 90m is the floor and 100m+ is what we are aiming for with a good Oscar campaign.

Yeah. Like I've said, I think Paramount was smart to expand later. It's going to go into the holidays with more screens than any other release save Moana, FB, and OCP.

6 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

The only good thing about Dreamgirls was Beyonce being overshadowed by Jennifer Hudson. Now everyone goes out of their way to proclaim to the world how much they love Beyonce (even though they don't, really) just because "I'm woke!!!" 

I really thought Beyonce was good in that film and totally deserving of a Nomination had it come her way. But yeah JHud was just phenomenal and it's one of my favorite performances of the past decade.