POTUS 2020

Weekend BO- Actuals Mo 18.53, OCP 16.89, FB 10.43, Arr 5.58, NA 3.16, MbtS 3.13

4 minutes ago, Eevin said:

So, best-case scenario it opens to $17-18m this weekend, then somehow treads through the Christmas season glut to earn $50m total, then somehow manages to earn that much OS, which would give it $100m on a $45m budget. That's still not great, especially when you consider how much they probably spent on marketing. Still, it could break even down the road if it becomes a popular streaming option around Christmas every year. 

It probably won't make much overseas. Comedies (especially) and Christmas movies always pale heavily in comparison there compared to domestic.

The Night Before made only $9M overseas compared to $43M domestic last year, fwiw. Krampus also did $61M worldwide with $42M of that coming from domestic.

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, Eevin said:

So, best-case scenario it opens to $17-18m this weekend, then somehow treads through the Christmas season glut to earn $50m total, then somehow manages to earn that much OS, which would give it $100m on a $45m budget. That's still not great, especially when you consider how much they probably spent on marketing. Still, it could break even down the road if it becomes a popular streaming option around Christmas every year. 

Agree that break even will be a struggle. You know what I honestly think is hurting it? The generic title. It's so, so uncreative and doesn't give people any particular reason to come out. They could've just called it "Ensemble Holiday Comedy" and left it at that.

Just now, Tau Ceti said:

Agree that break even will be a struggle. You know what I honestly think is hurting it? The generic title. It's so, so uncreative and doesn't give people any particular reason to come out. They could've just called it "Ensemble Holiday Comedy" and left it at that.

I think the advertising was pretty weak overall tbh. No standout comedic bits or a strong concept beyond "a bunch of famous faces have made a raunchy comedy about an office Christmas party ha ha hee hee ho ho!" A testament to how important actual laughs are when it comes to selling a comedy.

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It probably won't make much overseas. Comedies (especially) and Christmas movies always pale heavily in comparison there compared to domestic.

The Night Before made only $9M overseas compared to $43M domestic last year, fwiw. Krampus also did $61M worldwide with $42M of that coming from domestic.

Right, just saying that even in the optimal 100% everything's-hunky-dory scenario it's still going to struggle to break even.

7 minutes ago, Tau Ceti said:

Could've been one of those terrible Friedberg and Seltzer parodies and no one would've batted an eye.

15 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Is she the techie in Ghostbusters? if yes, she was really bad in it. I don't find her funny.

She was the best part of the film. I'm still sad it didn't do well, but the budget was too high.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eevin said:

This won't do well overseas. Most of it's money will come from the US.

• Community Manager
49 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Who in here is attacking an actress? I'm just saying I feel bad for Kate. She's very talented and these flops make me sad.

Jason Bateman is so z-list, he isn't worth discussing. 

If you aren't a Jason Bateman fan, you haven't seen Arrested Development.

• Like 7