Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

One thing that could be a wrench in the equation this year is that it seems Discount Tuesday is a bigger deal every year, so it's a much bigger deal now in 2016 than it was in 2011. Could mean a bigger Monday drop and better Tuesday number relative to these 2011 daily holds. 

il_fullxfull.146908168.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Man, I still can't understand how you hate this movie that much. You're a big fan of the franchise. This thing kicks ass in my opinion. It captures the spirit of A New Hope and it's the first Star Wars movie to properly show the war aspect of the struggle.

I'm a Godzilla fan and was pretty disappointed in what Edwards did with that project. But I went into this Star Wars prequel with an open mind and was very surprised at how good it is. ESB also had its fair share of critics in the beginning. I believe you'll come around to the Dark Side over time. ;)

It's too damn boring for 90 minutes of the runtime and nothing invested me in the new characters or the story. They were the antithesis to TFA's instantly endearing and memorable new characters. Not sure what else I can say? 

Edited by MovieMan89

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's too damn boring for 90 minutes of the runtime and nothing invested me in the new characters or the story. They were the antithesis to TFA's instantly endearing and memorable new characters. Not sure what else I can say? 

Hmmm...strangely enough I enjoyed the earlier parts of Rogue One possibly even more than the third act. I'm not real big on the typical whiz-bang CGI fest that seems to infiltrate every big budget third act nowadays. This one did have a great finish relative to others in the industry. But I really liked the characters early on and the emotion of their story as it played out. It was believable to me. The writing and acting was on point. Felicity Jones' character is what we should have gotten with Padme. 

• Like 11

If people think R1 isn't an event then people think The Hunger Games 1 and 2, Civil War, The Dark Knight, TDKR and Age of Ultron are not events which means those people understand nothing of box office.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Hmmm...strangely enough I enjoyed the earlier parts of Rogue One possibly even more than the third act. I'm not real big on the typical whiz-bang CGI fest that seems to infiltrate every big budget third act nowadays. This one did have a great finish relative to others in the industry. But I really liked the characters early on and the emotion of their story as it played out. It was believable to me. The writing and acting was on point. Felicity Jones' character is what we should have gotten with Padme. 

Oh don't misunderstand me, I didn't think the last half hour was amazing either. I genuinely don't get why everyone is freaking out. But it did at least give me something to finally hold onto, however small it was. And the last 5 minutes or so are admittedly A material. 

7 minutes ago, Bonenash said:

if this sunday number hold could it means that WOM has started yet ? I mean today with social media the good or bad wom can spread really quickly i am wondering.

What do you think?

No i has no impact of Wom, we have to wait 17 weeks to make sure.

Just now, CJohn said:

If people think R1 isn't an event then people think The Hunger Games 1 and 2, Civil War, The Dark Knight and Age of Ultron are not events which means those people understand nothing of box office.

This post needs more Rose Leslie.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

If people think R1 isn't an event then people think The Hunger Games 1 and 2, Civil War, The Dark Knight and Age of Ultron are not events which means those people understand nothing of box office.

TDK doesn't really belong in the same sentence as those others. MM89 himself has pointed out admissions numerous times in this debate. I disagree with him on the definition of an event, but TDK absolutely stands out from those others by a long shot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

That event does not belong with those other peasants. 

And arguing movies are events based on their unadjusted grosses is hilariously misinformed. If you want to argue movies like Civil War and Age of Ultron were "events", you have to also argue that about films like Crocodile Dundee, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Young Frankenstein, Gremlins, Narnia, The Fugitive, The Caine Mutiny, and Meet the Fockers. Lol, no. 

9 minutes ago, Bonenash said:

if this sunday number hold could it means that WOM has started yet ? I mean today with social media the good or bad wom can spread really quickly i am wondering.

What do you think?

People have discovered it is a family film. Even Dove says it is OK for ages 12+ and they are quite conservative. I expect the drops to track like TFA percentages. Possibly better.