Plain Old Tele

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i do have to thank movieman tho. on friday i had fallen like a solid 80 likes behind chewy and now i'm ahead again. mostly just from talking shit.

This thread would not exist if not for me. No one was making a thread for this non-event until they realized all the likes to be gained. You're welcome. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rey said:

I'm fine with Rey right now. (I also have a free account at the moment).

Plus, why you trying to age my hip and young 22 year old self.

Plus, those names are totally not indicative of me...

Like, The Bitch or Head Bitch In Charge.

1M4G5BG.gif

I refuse to believe you've never heard of The Comeback.

Just now, 4815162342 said:

Because the show's writing makes them all stand around like catatonic morons while Jeffrey Dean Morgan struts around and gloats like a Grade A Internet Troll

And we thank the show's writing for that. And for two people in two episodes failing in epic way to shoot him. Carl and Rosita are incompetent shit heads. CARL FAILED TO SHOOT HIM WHILE HE WAS RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF HIM WHILE ROSITA FAILED EVEN HARDER, BY DOING THE IMPOSSIBLE AND HITTING THE BAT.

• Like 3

Relying on estimated admissions to determine "event" status seems hopelessly flawed to me. 

T2 sold a "measly" 48.6m tickets. Yet it unquestionably dominated the movie landscape that year and loomed over the entire decade. And of course it's one of the most iconic and influential action/thrillers ever.

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I'm confused, is 550m domestic (adjusted) now the new barrier to be "AN EVENT"?

So, in other words, these movies were never events:

Batman (1989)

All 3 LOTR movies

Finding Nemo

Towering Inferno

Passion of the Christ

Superman

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Lawrence of Arabia

Rocky

The Poseidon Adventure

Terminator 2

...to name but a few.

I don't think you necessarily even need to make near 550m to be considered an event.  Take the first Matrix move for example, that adjusts to just 290m yet very, very few movies have had the cultural impact that that movie had.  Certainly more than say Jurassic World, the Avengers, or Avatar even after 2 subpar sequels.

But hey #NotAnEvent

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I'm not up on the internet crackpot campaigns.  What exactly are Mike et al rebelling against?

Trump supporters created #DumpStarWars because one of the movie's writers said on twitter that the Empire were White Supremacist, which explains why there are so many humans within their ranks. Of course he meant that as an objective fact, and in a non-political way, but Trump Supporters went crazy and said Rogue One was anti-Trump propaganda, and thus decided to boycott the movie.

It didn't seem to dawn on them that the tweet was old and has nothing to do with Trump's campaign. Whatever.

Then this guy says that since R1 opened below BvS, their campaign is a success, while we all know he's full of shit because Rogue One's total will blow BvS's total out of the water by the end of next week-end or so.

So, their campaign was, in the end, inconsequential, as we all said it would be here.

second time I write this btw, website crashed on me :ph34r:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

300M OW confirmed?

No, my friend. That train is saved for Harry Potter with the main trio back, Star Wars Episode 8 and Transformers with Shia and Megan Fox back.

• Like 2

Just now, Grand Moff Tele said:

Relying on estimated admissions to determine "event" status seems hopelessly flawed to me. 

T2 sold a "measly" 48.6m tickets. Yet it unquestionably dominated the movie landscape that year and loomed over the entire decade. And of course it's one of the most iconic and influential action/thrillers ever.

Blasphemy people can watch movies at home on vhs and dvd and Digitally! 

5 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Also, they believe that Disney literally put in an anti-Trump line/scene in there. Like, literally talking about Trump. Just nutty.

They're in for a rough 4 years in which movies will depict the president as the villain (through various Trump-esque qualities).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Winning a weak year doesn't somehow automatically qualify a movie as an "event" at the box office. Congratulations Three Men and a Baby, YOU'RE AN EVENT!!

It wasn't an event when it came out, which is what we're discussing. Pop culture legacy is something different entirely. 

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I refuse to believe you've never heard of The Comeback.

Of course I have heard of The Comeback, bitch.

Lisa Kudrow is an ICONIC goddess. I just do not want Aunt Sassy as my username, okay?!?

If you going to be extra though, I guess I will consider the name change.

4iqcT5j.gif