Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

2 minutes ago, Rey said:

Awe, how old are you, babe?

I mean, do you have money? Are you white? At least cute?

tumblr_inline_o9gxehjliX1u8f53e_500.gif

ay baby, qt white boi working a nice job here, wanna hook up?

just kidding I cant be with a sws fan

2 minutes ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

I'm pretty sure we were just discussing events?

It's a loose term, and it'd be odd for Frozen not to be considered one.  Even with "only" 400m at the BO, it smashed in DVR, Album and Merchandise sales, as well as cultural relevance.  The grand picture of the movie was unprecedented and lightning in a bottle.

Anyways, I still think anything over 400m is an event movie.  Maybe 10 years ago or so that bar was set at 300m.  It's an event because it gets a whole lot butts into soldout theaters, people make an event out of it, that's a near yearly thing.

Phenomenon is different.  The Star Wars franchise itself is a phenomenon, Avatar and Titanic were phenomenons.  Those are a few times a decade sort of thing.

So basically we're disagreeing because I consider a phenomenon and an event the same thing, and you don't? :lol:

Fine, R1 is NOT A PHENOMENON. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

For a Rated R movie in the PG-13 era? It was a big deal. Guns N' Roses was arguably the biggest band on the planet at the time and chose T2 as a movie tie-in for their lead single "You Could Be Mine" for the Use Your Illusion albums that opened at #1 and #2 simultaneously (never done before or since) in the fall of 1991. If a band that huge saw value in T2 as a promotional vehicle, then T2 was a pretty damn big deal in its own time. 

The fact that GnR could have have been  one of the top five bands ever but screwed it up is another story.

As far as T2 is concerned  Cameron hasn't made a movie as good since.  But that's okay because most filmmakers don't have a T2 in their arsenal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

See The Matrix was mentioned. It was shocking to see that a month before Phantom Menace and realize it broke more ground with VFX than Menace.

I remember in the run up to Reloaded(before it disappointed quality wise) some folks were even hyping The Matrix up as the next Star Wars.

It would have been awesome as hell if the sequels didn't disappoint with The Matrix and Lord of the Rings going on at the same time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So then where are all those extra admissions? It can leave a huge mark on the people who saw it all it wants, but at the end of the day not enough people actually did see it for it to be a box office event. It paled in comparison to the box office events of the decades prior to the start of the 90's. 

Oh, for fuck's sake.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

This is why using estimated admissions can become wildly absurd. 

What is? Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? I'm talking about films that were box office events, and never have I been talking about any other type of event. Sorry if people thought that I was saying box office and pop culture events had to go hand in hand. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

What is? Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? I'm talking about films that were box office events, and never have I been talking about any other type of event. Sorry if people thought that I was saying box office and pop culture events had to go hand in hand. 

Seems you're just narrowing your definition.