Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You guys keep changing what kind of an event is being discussed just to keep going around in circles. I already discussed that there can be event OWs separate of their total runs. Similarly, yes there can be event level build ups to a film as well (something TFA had and R1 most certainly did not). Finally, pop culture events are different than box office events, the two are not mutually exclusive. If people want to keep changing what type of event is being discussed so they can tiptoe around the obvious facts of R1 not being an event, then it simply proves my point further. 

I agree that this discussion is destined to be a bunch of dogs chasing their tails because the subject is not fact-based but is subjective.

It's just that when you may comments that films like T2 and Rogue One aren't event films, there is a disconnect between you and many others.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

FYI, Gary Whitta has been responding to fans on Twitter and occasionally providing little nuggets of info.

2 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

FYI, Gary Whitta has been responding to fans on Twitter and occasionally providing little nuggets of info.

Ask him if Rogue One is an event

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You guys keep changing what kind of an event is being discussed just to keep going around in circles. I already discussed that there can be event OWs separate of their total runs. Similarly, yes there can be event level build ups to a film as well (something TFA had and R1 most certainly did not). Finally, pop culture events are different than box office events, the two are not mutually exclusive. If people want to keep changing what type of event is being discussed so they can tiptoe around the obvious facts of R1 not being an event, then it simply proves my point further. 

I'm not even sure that many people are arguing against that point in anything more than a passive way. Almost every argument I've seen is talking about how your criteria is flawed for a definition of a BO event.

Like say your argument that if Frozen isn't an event because THG isn't an event. Well, THG has a 2.7x while Frozen has just under a 6x. While both made roughly as much, it's clear something very different happened with Frozen than THG that separates it from the pack. It's not unreasonable to call Frozen an Event and not THG, and it certainly doesn't make anyone a hypocrite.

• Like 3

This board would make an amazing case study of how mob mentality works to any psychologist. It completely allows all reason and logic to go out the window just so you can stay with the herd and not have to think. Continue to ignore me, but in the end it's hilarious you're all agreeing with the exact same things I've already said because someone else refashions my sentiments back at me in an argumentative coating. ;)

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

This board would make an amazing case study of how mob mentality works to any psychologist. It completely allows all reason and logic to go out the window just so you can stay with the herd and not have to think. Continue to ignore me, but in the end it's hilarious you're all agreeing with the exact same things I've already said because someone else refashions my sentiments back at me in an argumentative coating. ;)

Image result for crybaby

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Weinstein          
Lion $132,511 -21% 16 $8,282   $703,585

WB          
Collateral Beauty $7,102,085   3,528 $2,013   $7,102,085
Fantastic Beasts and Where … $5,071,323 -51% 3,036 $1,670   $207,722,418
The Accountant $155,617 -65% 252 $618   $85,320,070
Storks $146,951 -20% 235 $625   $71,888,169
The Polar Express $67,544   65 $1,039   $185,505,240
Sully $41,076 -43% 103 $399   $124,830,087

3 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Chris Weitz as well (if you can slog through his engagement with trolls).

This is one of the more interesting things:

(and of course, John Knoll who started it all)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Perfect Cast Astonishing Action Non-Stop Thrills Grabs U from the 1st frame & never lets go! Not just a great A PERIOD!

I'm euphoric & exhilarated! Ingenious the way it deepens & expands the yet works as a stand-alone movie

Did Hamill praise TFA like this? :kitschjob:

11 minutes ago, CJohn said:

R1 is the biggest movie event of the year.

d6aacfe5f2f0412d22bdfd82a24fa5cf.gif

Might have we found the escape route to this endless argument? Shall we finally have peace, after hundreds of pages of "uneventful" discussion?

Tune in to the next episode of Box Office theory's t ----   ah fuck it, we know you're all constantly refreshing anyway :ph34r:

Did anyone else see that Deadline article that tried to paint the bad reviews for Collateral Beauty as a "schoolyard assault" against the movie and that the mean critics sank it. :lol:

lol no. Critics didn't go after the movie to be mean, they went after it because it really is a terrible piece of shit that belongs in the Hall of Shame.