Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

From Fandango:

ARE YOUR KIDS READY FOR 'ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY'?

(slightly slightly SLIGHTLY spoilery article)

Their conclusion:

Take that from what it's worth.  But considering this is on the R1 page on Fandango, I suspect more than a few parents will be reading it.

"Bright beach activity?" Haha, if they want to call it that, more power to them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I have to admit, I am extremely happy it won't be reaching the 170m+ heights  a few posters who know who they are were being so condescending about being "locked" this past week. 

Pretty crazy to see the total change of direction from your posts with TFA and now this new movie. Surprised by it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hw64 said:

No, absolutely not. It's ridiculous and completely wrong to assume that every December movie gets a good multiplier because of December and the holidays. TFA only maintained such a multiplier because of its insane word-of-mouth, as other people have mentioned. If it didn't have that word-of-mouth and released in December to $248m, it would have gotten probably a 3.0 or sub-3 multiplier, at best. TFA was a phenomenon both because of the opening weekend and because of the multiplier it sustained despite that huge opening weekend. It had the best of both worlds.

Given that Rogue One won't have that kind of universal appeal and that kind of word-of-mouth that TFA had, and given that it's still opening probably 60-70% higher than any other non-TFA December release, a 3.5x multiplier certainly is not the worst it can do.

I maintain that a sub 3 multi is very difficult for a movie in mid December. Maybe saying close to 3.5 at worst for RO is pushing it but over 3 for sure.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I have to admit, I am extremely happy it won't be reaching the 170m+ heights  a few posters who know who they are were being so condescending about being "locked" this past week. 

It took a polar vortex to save baumer. His luck will soon run out. And then we will put an end to his little rebellion. Or something like that.

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Pretty crazy to see the total change of direction from your posts with TFA and now this new movie. Surprised by it.

The casual hype just never seemed particularly strong to me, hence the sub 450 predictions. I was pushing 1b for TFA back in March of last year, so it's certainly not like the pre-sales or my opinion of the film are what caused my predictions.