Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

27 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Can I be the trash monster?

These spoiler tags are purely cautionary. 

Spoiler

Why did the Death Star require trash monsters? It was disappointing R1 didn't explain it. 

• Like 2

Just got back from a mid afternoon showing with my 13-yr old son.

Well done movie overall. Really beautiful visually. They did as good a job as was possible of tying in the various SW properties - alot of callouts if you are a big fan of the galaxy. My son was so excited about one tie in he let out probably the biggest cheer in the audience all afternoon.

A really good action movie is what it is. My son was so excited afterwards - says we have to see it 3 times. So it looks like disney will be getting repeat business from my family - and we haven't even seen Moana yet which is also on his list for the Holidays.

Will be interesting to see where this is Sunday night and how it's legs are. i think they will be pretty good but we'll see. Audience reaction in my showing was quite positive.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

These spoiler tags are purely cautionary. 

Hide contents

Why did the Death Star require trash monsters? It was disappointing R1 didn't explain it. 

Spoiler

No offense, but why do you think they had to be required?  Not seeing Rogue 1 until Sunday, so maybe I'll understand your question then, but do sewers  or ships 'require' rats?  Some things arrive where conditions are favorable.

1 minute ago, trifle said:

Hide contents

No offense, but why do you think they had to be required?  Not seeing Rogue 1 until Sunday, so maybe I'll understand your question then, but do sewers  or ships 'require' rats?  Some things arrive where conditions are favorable.

I'm joking. Clearly something like that is hardly going to be in the movie. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Doctor RTH gone Rouge said:

just realised flaw :( , 69—73

I would say 69 to 73 is excellent, but that's just me. I think even with the low end of that, $69 million means $29M previews and $40 million Friday true day. TFA barely doubled the previews, $119M off $57M of previews. That would have put Rogue One at $60.32M with the same preview-to-Friday multiplier, so if it hits near $70M instead it's clearly much more backloaded than TFA was. 

I think there have been some flawed assumptions here that it seems like 75% of people are accepting, which surprises me. Of course until actual numbers come out, ALL theories are valid, and no more or less valid, I'm just surprised more people aren't saying, "If TFA virtually maxed the United States theatrical capacity for gross in its first 5 hours, of course it wasn't likely to have a great multiplier for previews versus OW." I feel like people forget that data comes from people. Actual people go see the movie, they buy tickets, and there are limits to what is possible during a weekend. TFA tested those limits. It's not like magically if somehow TFA was just different, or if some other factor was different, it could have made 6x the preview gross for a $300M+ OW. That cannot happen at present, for any movie, unless it was actual Jesus Christ returning to earth via movie theaters or something. 

That means to extrapolate the multiplier for TFA's previews to OW for another Star Wars movie and assume that your one recent data point is perfect seems kind of odd thinking. It's already going to be proven wrong by the end of Friday it seems like to me. Even at the low end of the range given on Variety, $66M, that's a far cry from $60M. 

• Like 2