FlashMaster659

Tuesday #s - R1 17.6m

29 minutes ago, James said:

Side note, but is anyone else annoyed with Disney and TFA fucking the SW-Extended Universe cannon. Things were looking so nice with Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi book series. UGH. 

They just want the option to move outside the EU cannon.

Disney doesn't want to be forced to use the EU for every detail.

But that doesn't mean they won't draw from the EU in the future.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

But then again, even the acclaimed animations are kind of cliched. Was Zootopia's meaning original? We have seen it like a hundred times... I 'll call this again, but the last time I saw a really original animation it was Inside Out. I can't really think of another one that came lately..

The message of Inside Out is "don't bottle up your emotions". Quite novel, and never said before.

• Like 1

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story has edged out cousin Star Wars: The Force Awakensin its first Tuesday hold overseas — percentage-wise. With $16M yesterday, Disney/Lucasfilm’s standalone franchise spinoff saw a 1.3% increase in offshore markets versus its Monday ticket sales tally. Last year, on TFA’s first Tuesday, that film dipped by 1% from the Monday.

http://deadline.com/2016/12/rogue-one-star-wars-story-tuesday-international-box-office-1201874489/

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

What do you mean? I have to see what happened to the glove of Darth Vader!

The_Glove_of_Darth_Vader.jpg

• Like 9

Just now, grey ghost said:

I also think the message is you don't have to be happy all the time.

Yeah, accepting loss and change. Even if you haven't seen it in movies, it's been done on TV millions of times.

Same goes for Zootopia's message, too.

Just now, grey ghost said:

I also think the message is you don't have to be happy all the time.

Yeah, that's what I liked about it (among many other things). The message wasn't the cheap "follow your heart" and similar nothing tripe children movies usually serve. It took a mature look at managing one's emotions, within the framework of an animated family film. It's a fantastic movie, imho.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

What do you mean? I have to see what happened to the glove of Darth Vader!

The_Glove_of_Darth_Vader.jpg

OMG, is that really a book title/cover? I thought that it was fan-made - like making a bit of fun about Kylo!?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Like literally anything on PBS kids where a character moves to a new town?

Like really? I have yet to see an animated film to tell a child that sadness is not a state that you should try to avoid at any cost. Crying is portrayed as a really bad thing in our society..Most people are afraid to express their emotions, they are afraid to cry, to accept sadness . And there comes Inside Out teaching kids that Sadness is not only normal but necessary aswell. I have yet to see a more mature and revolutionary message in an animated film. Truly phenomenal movie! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

They already are. Thawn is in the third season of Rebels. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Hot uninformed take: the EU peaked with "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" and the Brian Daley Han Solo novels. 

I loved the "Tales of the Jedi" comic books. Their mixing of sci-fi and sword and sorcery was a pretty unique take on the Star Wars mythos, and it produced some pretty great stories. The Knights of the Old Republic videogames borrowed a lot of those stories - although not the awesome "Conan with lightsabers" aesthetic.

Incidentally, Splinter of the Mind's Eye was one of the first books I read in English. The Timothy Zahn novels had just been released in Spanish, and since I loved them I hunted for some more EU material. Since there wasn't anything else in Spanish yet, I got Splinter and some other books from our local book importer, and sat together with an English dictionary, slowly reading it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Hot uninformed take: the EU peaked with "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" and the Brian Daley Han Solo novels. 

Well I won't argue with a high placement for those Han Solo novels.

• Like 1