FlashMaster659

Tuesday #s - R1 17.6m

I saw Sing last night and it's cute and entertaining, but there's not much to it.  I chuckled a bit and it was good for children, the talent in the voice casting was there too.

Illumination really does lower the standards for good animation though.  This will likely be a pretty good success for a movie that's not quite as good as the first Despicable Me, but probably better than the rest of what they have to offer.  They tried a little more with this one, but it was still about as generic and forgettable as a movie can get.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Frantic? Dead Again?

edit: curse you, @JohnnyGossamer and @Christmas Baumer!

Oh, and Usual Suspects if you haven't seen it. 

Image result for slapping head meme

This is for me....can't believe I didn't mention Usual Suspedcts.

How about Seven as well.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

I saw Sing last night and it's cute and entertaining, but there's not much to it.  I chuckled a bit and it was good for children, the talent in the voice casting was there too.

Illumination really does lower the standards for good animation though.  This will likely be a pretty good success for a movie that's not quite as good as the first Despicable Me, but probably better than the rest of what they have to offer.  They tried a little more with this one, but it was still about as generic and forgettable as a movie can get.

I look at it differently.  Their budgets are always under 100 million.  This is more responsible and they seem to put their money into other things besides the animation being top notch.  When we were kids, Tom and Jerry and The Road Runner and Scooby Doo wasn't the best animation out there but it entertained the hell out of us.  I think this is kind of what Illumination is doing.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, yjs said:

but it spawns the idea that kids movies don't deserve that same artistic integrity in their narratives or aesthetics and are okay to be seen as a complete product.

There is literally nothing wrong with this.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, yjs said:

Sing's RT score is slightly dropping again. now at 70%.

I was mildly excited and mostly curious when its first TIFF reactions were out, and now I've been thinking about what that Indiewire critic said the other day how Illumination is lowering the standard and expectations for animated films and I get what he means. Their formulas are working a little too well for them, which is both a blessing and a curse.

Illumination is not a follower anymore and in fact it is the leading studio of the market now with the highest gross average, and their decidedly cost-effective approach to filmmaking could drive other studios to follow the similar steps. People are more willingly giving them a free pass than they are to Pixar (some might counter-argue this point) because their target audience is much younger and they are pandering to them so well, but it spawns the idea that kids movies don't deserve that same artistic integrity in their narratives or aesthetics and are okay to be seen as a complete product. 

I feel somewhat cautious saying this as a Disney/Pixar fan that it would come off as obnoxious or double standards but I do feel it'd be good if Illumination steps out of their comfort zone and try something different once in a while, making something that is more than "it's fun and kids love it", at least raising the budget a bit (cause they can totally afford it) and developing a new rendering tool and experiment with their looks or something. Cause otherwise their movies would be the same a decade from now. 

I agree, Despicable Me was great, but aside from that I haven't seen a very memorial film from them, SLOP was fine, but it could have been alot better and it certainly didn't deserve that $360m+ it made, I really hope they start upscaling their standards if they think they can keep the audience they have.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JennaJ said:

IMHO R1 is not as rewatchable as TFA was. 

I won't be surprised if legs aren't nearly as strong.

But that's just me.

I *loved* TFA but didn't find it re-watchable, which is why I saw it once in the theater. It was what is was, and I didn't feel that there were any subtle nuances and whanot that necessitated a second viewing.

I like R1 almost as much as TFA, but feel compelled to view it again, which I will do tomorrow. Lots going on there, IMO.

That said, I agree R1's legs won't be as strong, but only because as big as it is, it simply lacks the sheer massive cultural momentum of TFA, which was a national happening last year.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It made $46M against a $60M budget. It certainly wasn't a hit for the studio.

It made $105m at the worldwide box office and likely broke even through home video, etc. The studio doesn't care where the money comes from. To me a flop is stuff like Cutthroat Island, which grossed $10m total against a $98m budget.

5 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I look at it differently.  Their budgets are always under 100 million.  This is more responsible and they seem to put their money into other things besides the animation being top notch.  When we were kids, Tom and Jerry and The Road Runner and Scooby Doo wasn't the best animation out there but it entertained the hell out of us.  I think this is kind of what Illumination is doing.

Tom and Jerry wasn't bad animation by any means. At least the stuff that was made in the 40s and 50s.

• Like 2