WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2017 Box Office Predictions

November 22:

Coco: Out of their last three films, Pixar made their highest grosser, third-highest grosser, and first bomb. Coco’s story sounds a bit niche, but I think it’ll be an appealing option for all ages over the holidays. I’m not sure if it can hit 200M yet, so I’m staying conservative. 50/180 (3.6x)

Let It Snow: John Green is so 2014. Sorry Ethan. 10/40 (4x)

Murder on the Orient Express: Based on the hype here, this is easily the site’s most anticipated movie of the year. It has an amazing cast, is directed by Kenneth Bragnah, and in many ways is an adult blockbuster that doesn’t come around too often. This will be a massive hit for audiences all throughout the season. 35/130 (3.71x)

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Murder on the Orient Express: Based on the hype here, this is easily the site’s most anticipated movie of the year. It has an amazing cast, is directed by Kenneth Bragnah, and in many ways is an adult blockbuster that doesn’t come around too often. This will be a massive hit for audiences all throughout the season. 35/130 (3.71x)

I like this! I hope your prediction comes true

December 1:

He’s Out There: A Tom Rothman biopic already? This film sounds exactly like that movie Shut In with Naomi Watts that bombed a couple months ago. With no recognizable names to the GA, this is going to be a typical early December dump. 5/10 (2x)

December 15:

Star Wars: Episode VIII: Can anyone stop Disney at this point? After coming off a record 3B year domestically, they’re looking to top that in 2017. I don’t see E8 dropping too much from TFA because there’s a lot of goodwill from both that and Rogue One, and Carrie Fisher’s tragic passing could play a role in how much this grosses. A lot of people were predicting a dropoff worse than TPM to AOTC before Rogue One (and they still might be, who knows), but I never believed it’d drop that much and have been staunch about this grossing 800M. May the force be with us all. 235/800 (3.4x)

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

I'm curious to see your Jumanji prediction. I'd wager you're gonna to have it as a hit for a reason you forgot to consider with one of your previous predictions. ;)

Alexandra Daddario isn't in Jumanji (but Karen Gillan is so win there).

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

December 15:

Star Wars: Episode VIII: Can anyone stop Disney at this point? After coming off a record 3B year domestically, they’re looking to top that in 2017. I don’t see E8 dropping too much from TFA because there’s a lot of goodwill from both that and Rogue One, and Carrie Fisher’s tragic passing could play a role in how much this grosses. A lot of people were predicting a dropoff worse than TPM to AOTC before Rogue One (and they still might be, who knows), but I never believed it’d drop that much and have been staunch about this grossing 800M. May the force be with us all. 235/800 (3.4x)

Pretty close to my predict

8 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

December 1:

He’s Out There: A Tom Rothman biopic already? This film sounds exactly like that movie Shut In with Naomi Watts that bombed a couple months ago. With no recognizable names to the GA, this is going to be a typical early December dump. 5/10 (2x)

I don't know If you noticed but for reasons that I don't know this got big social-media buzz yesterday. Nearly 250,000 tweets.

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

December 15:

Agree: VIII will be between VII & Rogue One: $750M - $800M. Expect opening will be even bigger than VII: $255M to $260M

December 23:

Downsizing: Alexander Payne has never had a movie gross over 100M domestically. I think that changes with Downsizing. Matt Damon is a draw in the right role, and this sci-fi drama comes a little over two years after he brought The Martian into the Top 10 films of 2015. I don’t know how well audiences will react to this, but holiday legs will get this to 100M. 30/120 (4x)

The Greatest Showman on Earth: Hugh Jackman showed he could be a decent singer in Les Mis over 4 years ago (yes, it’s been that long). The rest of the cast includes Michelle Williams and Zac Efron, and the film was written by Michael Ardnt and Bill Condon. If this is an Oscar contender, I can see it grossing over 100M. 20/90 (4.5x)

Pitch Perfect 3: Universal made a good decision by moving this to December. The film was looking at a decent sized drop from the last film, but holiday legs will bring this close to the second’s run. 50/180 (3.6x)

The Six Billion Dollar Man: This is another Peter Berg/Mark Wahlberg collaboration, and it hasn’t even started preproduction yet. It isn’t going to release this year, but when it does, it could be a 100M grosser. No Prediction

The Story of Ferdinand: Lastly, we have The Story of Ferdinand. I don’t know how well this movie can do with so many other movies releasing this weekend and Coco a few weeks prior. This might be Blue Sky’s lowest grossing film. 20/80 (4x)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

December 23:

Downsizing: Alexander Payne has never had a movie gross over 100M domestically. I think that changes with Downsizing. Matt Damon is a draw in the right role, and this sci-fi drama comes a little over two years after he brought The Martian into the Top 10 films of 2015. I don’t know how well audiences will react to this, but holiday legs will get this to 100M. 30/120 (4x)

The Greatest Showman on Earth: Hugh Jackman showed he could be a decent singer in Les Mis over 4 years ago (yes, it’s been that long). The rest of the cast includes Michelle Williams and Zac Efron, and the film was written by Michael Ardnt and Bill Condon. If this is an Oscar contender, I can see it grossing over 100M. 20/90 (4.5x)

Pitch Perfect 3: Universal made a good decision by moving this to December. The film was looking at a decent sized drop from the last film, but holiday legs will bring this close to the second’s run. 50/180 (3.6x)

The Six Billion Dollar Man: This is another Peter Berg/Mark Wahlberg collaboration, and it hasn’t even started preproduction yet. It isn’t going to release this year, but when it does, it could be a 100M grosser. No Prediction

The Story of Ferdinand: Lastly, we have The Story of Ferdinand. I don’t know how well this movie can do with so many other movies releasing this weekend and Coco a few weeks prior. This might be Blue Sky’s lowest grossing film. 20/80 (4x)

Seems like you liked one of my Top 10 Bold Predictions (No Dec 23rd wide openers over $200M DOM) - of course, you skipped Jumanji, so maybe you're holding off on your $200M+ DOM estimate...

Edited by TwoMisfits