That One Girl

Film Piracy (opinions and box office effect)

4 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Its intellectually lazy to not question laws that are clearly not fit for purpose any more.

Bullshit.  

There is no justification for it.  None.  All you want to do is explain away why you are somehow entitled to the content that thousands of people invested their money/time/effort to create without paying for it.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It is intellectually lazy.  It is also fun to see all the excuses and flawed logic being thrown around to justify stealing.  

If it helps, anyone who pirates is a lazy cheap douchebag.  

Lazy doesn't fit. I understand you're in the business of box-office tracking but sorry, you're wrong here. 

Just now, EmpireCity said:

Bullshit.  

There is no justification for it.  None.  All you want to do is explain away why you are somehow entitled to the content that thousands of people invested their money/time/effort to create without paying for it.  

If more effort and time were put into them maybe piracy wouldn't be as much of an issue. 

Just now, EmpireCity said:

Bullshit.  

I guess you missed the part where I said I have already paid for the content, just not in that form. Copyright/patent and licensing law needs a huge overhaul, its not fit for purpose any more, its based on systems and mediums that no longer exist.

1 hour ago, GirafficPark said:

All i will say now is that anyone here who has ever lent a disc to a friend is a pirate. You shared the file and they watched or listened to the content without a license to do so. You cannot transfer that license temporarily, its debatable if you are even allowed to sell it on.

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

You realize this is patently false here in the United States. Look up the first sale doctrine:

It's also legal in Canada to lend a DVD to a friend. Used to be only implicitly because of common law precedents (that formed the foundation of first-sale doctrine in the United States and would also apply to the United Kingdom), but amendments to the Copyright Act made it explicit that ownership of a tangible object gives the owner rights to sell or otherwise transfer that object.

So the statement that it's illegal to lend a DVD is now patently false in at least two countries.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GirafficPark said:

I guess you missed the part where I said I have already paid for the content, just not in that form. Copyright/patent and licensing law needs a huge overhaul, its not fit for purpose any more, its based on systems and mediums that no longer exist.

Lol.  Sure you did.  

Either way, it is a flawed argument.  It isn't free to create new content in a different format.  Because I bought something on VHS in 1995 doesn't mean I am entitled to have it again for no cost when it is released on Blu-Ray or as a 4k file.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

If more effort and time were put into them maybe piracy wouldn't be as much of an issue. 

Now you have shown your true colors.  

Congrats being a lazy cheap douchebag.  Nobody is forcing you to watch anything.  Don't be a loser and pay for what you watch.  If you don't like it, then vote with your dollars like an honest person and don't watch the next thing that person/company produces and spread bad word of mouth.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

So if you pirate a film and like and it leads you to  buy a physical copy, do we stI'll have a problem with it?

Absolutely.  If you sneak into the movie theater to watch a movie and I like it and it makes you want to buy the Blu-Ray later, then you are a trespassing thief.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Now you have shown your true colors.  

Congrats being a lazy cheap douchebag.  Nobody is forcing you to watch anything.  Don't be a loser and pay for what you watch.  If you don't like it, then vote with your dollars like an honest person and don't watch the next thing that person/company produces and spread bad word of mouth.  

You really need to take your emotions out of this. 

Lol.  Sure you did.  

Either way, it is a flawed argument.  It isn't free to create new content in a different format.  Because I bought something on VHS in 1995 doesn't mean I am entitled to have it again for no cost when it is released on Blu-Ray or as a 4k file.  

Yes i did actually, in fact i have 4 subscriptions services.

Buying a physical object with added value is fine, but if i have a cable sub that includes pretty much all movies i do not feel in any way guilty for downloading that movie to. Either way I can watch it on pretty much any device I like (the cable also includes an app). It saves time and reduces reliance on often flaky streaming services. No one loses out on anything, there is no victim, its illegality is purely a technicality.

Absolutely.  If you sneak into the movie theater to watch a movie and I like it and it makes you want to buy the Blu-Ray later, then you are a trespassing thief.  

Now that is rich lol. Please explain this one, I really can't wait to hear the reach on this one.

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Completely different, you are then stealing the service of the theatre, a 3rd party, you arent however stealing the content.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Yes i did actually, in fact i have 4 subscriptions services.

Buying a physical object with added value is fine, but if i have a cable sub that includes pretty much all movies i do not feel in any way guilty for downloading that movie to. Either way I can watch it on pretty much any device I like (the cable also includes an app). It saves time and reduces reliance on often flaky streaming services. No one loses out on anything, there is no victim, its illegality is purely a technicality.

Incorrect and thank you for proving the lazy part of my statement.  

1 minute ago, DMan7 said:

I can't believe this piracy thread has gained soo much traction. I think it all comes down to you thieves (online pirate streams of movies) need to stop thieving. 

Same. I know people who pirate films a lot, but they at least have the decency to admit they're just being cheap (sometimes after a bit of pressure) instead of jumping through hoop after hoop trying to justify it morally/legally.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 5

I'm sure we could go on 20 more pages with these silly and flawed reasons why there is a percentage of the population that feels they are entitled to pirate the work of other people, but it all boils down to a simple undeniable fact you will have to live with .  

Doing any of this makes you a lazy cheap douchebag.  Try and do better with your life.  I have also found that people who do this and fight 20 pages trying to justify it are usually not very successful in life and there is usually a correlation.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Completely different, you are then stealing the service of the theatre, a 3rd party, you arent however stealing the content.

But the theater makes more than a enough money to keep in bussiness. If I would to steal a blu Ray from Wal-Mart how is it Amy different than downloading a movie illegally. 

Would you be okay to someone stole from the industry that you worked at.  Too many people have this entitlement attitude about everything should be free that I have a RIGHT to this. 

8 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

You are however, getting a free ride from all the honest people who paid.

In fact, I would say you're stealing the content in you sneak into a theater or pirate. Fare dodgers steal rides, and pirates steal content. "Rides" and "content" are still intangible things.