That One Girl

Film Piracy (opinions and box office effect)

23 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Cheating themselves considering the scale of that movie. If any movie demanded to be seen in IMAX, it was that one. 

That is one movie I truly regret not getting to see in a theater period. It doesn't even come on TV here, that's better than how i watched it on my laptop. 

Spotify, Apple Music, and Tidal have actually slowed music piracy. I think the movie industry could do the same thing if Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon collaborated, rather than trying to outbid each other. Having to pay month for one is already enough.

Sure it could have an effect on theaters, but at least it can help stop online piracy.

I really wish the major studios would've all pulled their resources together and created one massive library film together. Hell I'd pay $20/month for it. Delegating everything between Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon, and then them not having everything, makes me have to use online more than I'd like.

Today's ticket prices don't help either. Even my local theater has hit $10. That's too high for this area and now I'm thinking twice more than I'd like. My parents definitely barely go anymore.

Edited by jandrew

The most beautiful thing about these piracy endeavors is that it is done with the help of big banks which perfectly know who is who but money is money even when it is a Maldives Account payed to a person living in Ukraine.

Not suspicious at all.

NOPE.

We knew nothing, we swear it.

Their heads will end up on spikes.

Edited by The Futurist

On 01/01/2017 at 11:18 PM, fracfar said:

Poor people exist within first world countries...

I think it's about access possibilities in some countries, incl political, religious,... narrow-mindness, that excludes e.g. documentaries.... or simply missing technology, offering companies,...

On 02/01/2017 at 3:27 PM, boomboom234 said:

honestly everyone pirates one way or another when's the last time any of you payed for music you're only getting angry now because it deals with movies but still everyone either torrents or streams movies especially out of the US, but even here no one thinks about they just watch there is no ethical dilemma for anyone.

Wrong, very wrong

To @Lordmandeep 

Only to remind you and others what started all this:

This whole thread started based on your proudly telling you don't pay for films you do not like in principle, but you wanted to watch it anyway, so ~ you can diss informed in 'discussions' about it. That makes it a conscientious selected stealing for the reason to gain of insight to be able to do something - in this case dissing - with it in my POV.

If someone without access tries to see a special film, something blocked in his/her country, that is in my POV one thing (not with lower motifs), to steal because you do not like the film, but still want to see it and being proud and loud about that.... and then reacting hurt as you got called out for it.

How about that:

Say maybe aloud to yourself:

'I am a thief and am aware of that. I am also aware about others despise/dislike/disagree with/.... me for doing that. I am trying to exaggerate / twist / ignore the reality of people not all doing the same crime so ... e,g, I can feel better about myself (or fill in why-ever you react so strongly from the first post then).' 

Maybe then some of your posts will be less 'all people....' and less 'older people...' or 'nostalgic...'

I still see no reason why you try to imply instead accepting people do see you not the way you see yourself. In my POV: those kind of posts are sounding to me as tries to insult people not doing stealing.... to declare people abiding the laws as the 'unnatural, too old, too something'. 

I have a question:

you tell you have a huge family.

Did you ever stood before a huge gathering with all generations and told loud and proudly about stealing? I guess not. Why? Think about it for a moment, maybe then you start to understand that not all people do and see it as you try to imply.

• Like 1

Lets be honest, the cinemas trade on exclusivity these days, they are no longer a unique and wondrous experience. Too many have crappy seats, damaged screens, poor contrast, high priced tickets, popcorn thats more expensive per gram than gold and cola thats rivalling printer ink. Screeners arent about being cheap, they are about not being ripped off. I would happily pay for a near BR quality download available on day of release over a pirated screener.. and over going to the local fleapit.

As long as the download numbers could be tracked then 'gross' could easily be reported and tracked still.

Edited by GirafficPark

One thing I have Zero guilt over is sidestepping copyright laws around University Textbooks...

250 bucks for a 500 page softcopy book about Introduction to Fraud, give a break while the course only costs 400 dollars? 

That to me is a perfect example of publishers using exclusive rights to just soak up excessive profits margins from helpless students. They can easily sell the book for 50-75 bucks and I am certain everyone would pay gladly. In the meantime, someone usually downloads a digital copy of the book and shares it with everyone else these days. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

12 hours ago, Morieris said:

That is one movie I truly regret not getting to see in a theater period. It doesn't even come on TV here, that's better than how i watched it on my laptop. 

Damn. Yeah, I saw it in LieMAX twice and in a theater brand large screen. LieMAX was better (better color in the wormhole for instance) and the IMAX sequences filled the screen...but I still regret not putting in special effort to see it in real IMAX on 70mm film. Would be incredible to see on a 60+ foot tall screen. The LieMAX I saw it on was probably around 40 feet tall. 

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

One thing I have Zero guilt over is sidestepping copyright laws around University Textbooks...

250 bucks for a 500 page softcopy book about Introduction to Fraud, give a break while the course only costs 400 dollars? 

That to me is a perfect example of publishers using exclusive rights to just soak up excessive profits margins from helpless students. They can easily sell the book for 50-75 bucks and I am certain everyone would pay gladly. In the meantime, someone usually downloads a digital copy of the book and shares it with everyone else these days. 

They really can't sell the textbooks for much less than they already do. The costs of the authors, editors, artists etc. involved in the production of book are as high (if not higher) than for any other book, but are distributed among a much smaller number of copies. In your example, that $250 book probably couldn't turn a profit if sold for less than $200, not $50-$75. (Profit margins on university textbooks have been estimated to be about ~20% by independent sources. I've seen figures around 15% to low twenties.)

• Like 3

I pirate a lot of stuff because of money issues, but I try to stick to cheap options when it's possible (Spotify, Netflix, YouTube, steam)

Not sure how much money I 'steal' from the industry. I haven't downloaded a movie in the last 4 months and i saw literally zero movies since August.

I try to support stuff that I enjoy, like buying band's self pressed vinyls and indie games on steam, but I don't have the money to support everyone. And I usually don't buy new stuff, most of the time I get my music, comics and books from second hand stores or public libraries.

What freaking annoys me is when book stores charge a lot of money for old philosophy books. Why on earth should I pay for something written by a guy who died 500 years ago? And I say that as a philosophy student who is trying to get into the translation business.

Enviado de meu LG-K430 usando Tapatalk

Btw, even though services like Spotify and Kindle unlimited are not illegal, artists don't usually get a lot of money from it. I'm really not sure what's the solution.

I've never paid for Spotify, I would just use the browser version and block ads with an add on. Spotify in my country imposed a time limit for free streaming so recently I just started listening to stuff on YouTube while still blocking ads with ad blocker.

What I'm doing is completely legal, but that raises the question... Is it fair to block ads?

Enviado de meu LG-K430 usando Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Jason said:

They really can't sell the textbooks for much less than they already do. The costs of the authors, editors, artists etc. involved in the production of book are as high (if not higher) than for any other book, but are distributed among a much smaller number of copies. In your example, that $250 book probably couldn't turn a profit if sold for less than $200, not $50-$75. (Profit margins on university textbooks have been estimated to be about ~20% by independent sources. I've seen figures around 15% to low twenties.)

I believe the School Textbook market deserves to die a horrible death and likely will at the trend they are going...

http://www.aei.org/publication/the-college-textbook-bubble-and-how-the-open-educational-resources-movement-is-going-up-against-the-textbook-cartel/

- Students are buying Used Textbooks

- Buying Older Versions of Textbooks

- Buying International Edition of Textbooks

- Buying Digital Copies

- Sharing Illegal copies of scanned or Digital Copies

I started doing some of these things in 3rd and 4th University for my Finance Program from 2010-2011 and saved over 1500 dollars and it had no effect on my marks ( I ended up doing better then my first and 2nd year).

Lets not even get into the ethics of professors selling their own books at absurd prices to their students. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

51 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I believe the School Textbook market deserves to die a horrible death and likely will at the trend they are going...

http://www.aei.org/publication/the-college-textbook-bubble-and-how-the-open-educational-resources-movement-is-going-up-against-the-textbook-cartel/

- Students are buying Used Textbooks

- Buying Older Versions of Textbooks

- Buying International Edition of Textbooks

- Buying Digital Copies

- Sharing Illegal copies of scanned or Digital Copies

I started doing some of these things in 3rd and 4th University for my Finance Program from 2010-2011 and saved over 1500 dollars and it had no effect on my marks ( I ended up doing better then my first and 2nd year).

Lets not even get into the ethics of professors selling their own books at absurd prices to their students. 

A lot of students don't buy the books at all. They either share or figure out which classes actually need it

College students are poor, I sympathize with the pirates. 

Edited by fracfar