DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

3 day will put it behind the Bye Bye Man if their actual holds.

Disney trying to do to Bye Bye Man what it tried to do with Hidden Figures last weekend, :lol:

Yep! I was right:

Bye Bye Man 3 Day actual: $13,530,000, #4 ahead of Rogue One.

I'm still to see a Berg movie rising above mediocrity. he makes right wing fantasies devoid of REAL drama and depth. his supporting characters bantering around are generally entertaining, though.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

3 day will put it behind the Bye Bye Man if their actual holds.

Disney trying to do to Bye Bye Man what it tried to do with Hidden Figures last weekend, :lol:

Disney didn't try anything. They were the ones who got the numbers right last weekend, the others simply underestimated theirs. It's not Disney's fault if other companies underestimate their own movie.

It's one thing if you significantly overestimate your movie just to get a better headlines (e.g. Fox having Episode II at 86m so that the 4-day opening would come in ahead of Spiderman's (3-day) number from earlier that month, with the actuals 6m lower), but something else entirely if you give proper estimate that just happen to be ahead of another movie. Seeing how Disney didn't care about any records or nice numbers they could have taken with a slight overestimation for basically all of their big movies of the recent past, even if it was down to just a handful of Dollars, it's pretty safe to say that they are the company least likely to "cheat" with their estimates.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Stop.

"From the Wizarding World of Harry Potter" was ALL over the marketing campaign.

The UK trailer literally had JK Rowling talking before it assuring people that this was in the same world.

I know you're saying that's not what you meant, but you're saying it's impressive as if it was an original film. But it is a franchise film.

I never implied it was not part of a franchise, but what it did was unprecedented IN THIS FRANCHISE ENVIRONMENT. NOT ONE CHARACTER from the original series. In that regard, the movie was brave, MUCH braver than, say, Rogue One.

I mean, really, they had to put Vader, Leia and Grand Moff Tarkin in it. Even I went a second time just for the Vader scene!

Hidden Figures and La La Land single handedly saved this weekend from the underperformance/floppage of the openers. The box office looks to be pretty quiet until the weekend Lego Batman and Fifty Shades Darker open in almost a month, so with Oscar nominations coming up (and I'm starting to think Hidden Figures will overperform there, it's peaking at just the right time), expect these two to go very far.

Just now, filmlover said:

Hidden Figures and La La Land single handedly saved this weekend from the underperformance/floppage of the openers. The box office looks to be pretty quiet until the weekend Lego Batman and Fifty Shades Darker open in almost a month, so with Oscar nominations coming up (and I'm starting to think Hidden Figures will overperform there, it's peaking at just the right time), expect these two to go very far.

You're forgetting something.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A Dog's Purpose may open very well at like $20M. Split will do well too with like Light Out to The Visit numbers. Universal have promoted them very well.

The rest do look terrible until February 10.