DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah, with the individual nods for ryan and emma they've basically given nominations to everyone of note in the ensemble. the third biggest part is probably, idk, john legend who has like two scenes and a song.

JK Simmons totally brought the movie together, man.

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Apparently the subject matter was just too much for some people, and it was too soon as well. 

Agreed sadly.

Reminds me of when United 93 with almost 100% reviews underperformed. Even that didn't open too badly compared to this when Universal debuted it in 1800 theaters. PD is even worse when it sold less tickets and opened in 67% more than U93.

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Moonlight will be the worst best picture nominated film since The Reader.

Damn. Everyone I know that saw it seems to think it's rather incredible.

As for the The Reader... Not much of a fan either. But, hell, that one didn't much acclaim from critics either. That nomination was certainly a surprise.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Moonlight imo is only being lionized as much as it is is because of the oscar so white last year. Its a poorly made film and something i could do. No joke.

Just now, filmlover said:

What did baumer think of Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close? I have to imagine he spent the whole movie wanting to strangle young Thomas Horn.

I forgot about that one. Ok that one is worse than Moonlight.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

Moonlight imo is only being lionized as much as it is is because of the oscar so white last year. Its a poorly made film and something i could do. No joke.

Come on Baumer. You don't need to like it (hell, you can hate it if you want), but many think it is a great film regardless of what they thought about Oscars So White.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I first saw it in October, well before any of the awards hype. It deserves every nomination that it is getting. 

It is an absolutely gorgeous movie and with a theme that we don't see much in modern movies. 

I've seen it three times now.

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 1

No joke: I don't think there will ever be a better nomination surprise when Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close got nominated for Best Picture and everyone in the press room screamed in horror. The fact it was the last movie announced as the ultimate "SURPRISE, BITCH!" made it even funnier.

Although Salma Hayek losing her shit when her BFF (Penelope Cruz) got nominated was a great moment too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Come on Baumer. You don't need to like it (hell, you can hate it if you want), but many think it is a great film regardless of what they thought about Oscars So White.

If critics hadn't been so crazy about it and you saw the movie would you honestly think it's one of the five best movies of this year? I just don't see how that's possible. There's nothing to the movie except a story about a young gay kid growing up in a tough neighborhood. That could be an ABC Afterschool special as far as I'm concerned.

4 minutes ago, Chaz said:

I first saw it in October, well before any of the awards hype. It deserves every nomination that it is getting. 

It is an absolutely gorgeous movie and with a theme that we don't see much in modern movies. 

I've seen it three times now.

I just dont see it. What did you think was so brilliant about it?

Just now, baumer said:

If critics hadn't been so crazy about it and you saw the movie would you honestly think it's one of the five best movies of this year? I just don't see how that's possible. There's nothing to the movie except a story about a young gay kid growing up in a tough neighborhood. That could be an ABC Afterschool special as far as I'm concerned.

i dunno, i cried when i saw it. that's a pure emotional reaction. not something you can just do coz the critics said so. 

generally, if people love movies i hate i can assume it comes from an honest place. i hated warcraft but i believe it's real and effective for the people that loved it. i'd have to be an asshole not to think that.

• Like 9

Okay well I am glad it resonated with so many of you. It did not with me and I thought technically speaking it was a horribly made movie. The only thing about it I thought that was good was the acting. But other than that the writing the direction the editing in my opinion was pretty horrible. But you guys like it so that's great. It's great one of them that you love so much gets Oscar recognition.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, BenedictL11 said:

Agreed sadly.

Reminds me of when United 93 with almost 100% reviews underperformed. Even that didn't open too badly compared to this when Universal debuted it in 1800 theaters. PD is even worse when it sold less tickets and opened in 67% more than U93.

It's to be expected, though. Making films after a tragedy has happened over a few years later is never a great thing it seems. 

Edited by Fancyarcher