DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

The movie truly has captured the public conscious in a way movies rarely do anymore. It's grabbing pretty much everyone except I guess the family audience (although there's nothing objectionable about it either, take out some of the profanity and it easily would've received a PG).

Lionsgate/Summit have a winner apart from their YA franchises, horror and things like Red. It would be Summit's first Oscar win since The Hurt Locker and Lionsgate's first since Crash.

The film is already going to be profitable for Lionsgate just from domestic, OS is a bit complicated as Summit and Lionsgate are distributed by local distributors apart from UK but I assume they've already recouped the budget from presales and everything from domestic and UK is gravy. 

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The movie truly has captured the public conscious in a way movies rarely do anymore. It's grabbing pretty much everyone except I guess the family audience (although there's nothing objectionable about it either, take out some of the profanity and it easily would've received a PG).

The only thing giving it a PG-13 was one f bomb. Thats it

1 minute ago, robertman2 said:

The only thing giving it a PG-13 was one f bomb. Thats it

yeah, that was one of those "we don't really want this movie to be a PG so we can market it to teens better so have this random fuck" f-bombs. my favourite.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Really starting to believe $200m is a possibility for LLL. I'm not gonna say it's probable, but $150m is essentially locked at this point. Hopefully Lionsgate keeps in theaters for awhile after the BP win. Hell, there may be a chance at $400m WW.

If you put LLL's performance so far next to Silver Linings, King's Speech, Slumdog and Juno it seems that La La Land is doing maybe a little better than all those movies that ended with 130-140m and change. So I can see 150m+, but it's not doing THAT much better to start talk about 200m. I think best case scenario might be around Revenant's final total. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah, that was one of those "we don't really want this movie to be a PG so we can market it to teens better so have this random fuck" f-bombs. my favourite.

It's fucking hilarious in Arrival because there's nothing even resembling a bad word until the one time they say "fuck."  A PG-13 for something that lasted literally one second.

• Like 1

It's interesting how censorship differs in each country, the BBFC for example have rated many PG-13 films like Suicide Squad as 15 due to violence whereas they passed This Means War uncut at 12A whereas Fox had to cut some of the jokes to make it PG-13. MIB3 was PG in the UK even though it had the word shit in it. 

The King's Speech R rating never made much sense considering the swearing was in context and not used maliciously. 

15 minutes ago, Joel M said:

If you put LLL's performance so far next to Silver Linings, King's Speech, Slumdog and Juno it seems that La La Land is doing maybe a little better than all those movies that ended with 130-140m and change. So I can see 150m+, but it's not doing THAT much better to start talk about 200m. I think best case scenario might be around Revenant's final total. 

Depending on its bump from Oscar noms (which are late this year) it may just be able to do it. But I agree that it isn't likely.