Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

4 hours ago, stripe said:

What will be the gross for the BP contenders before nominatios are announced? And after Oscars?

Last year we had 3 movies over 100M, all of these reached the mark after noms.

The average gross for the BP contenders last year was 77M (53M prior to noms)

I would say this year is better BO wise. DOM gross before noms

Dunkirk - 188M

Get Out - 175M

The Post - 50M

Lady Bird - 40M

Darkest Hour - 40M

Shape of Water - 30M

Three Billboards - 25M

Call Me By Your Name - 7M

69M average gross more or less the day noms are announced. Let's see how much more fuel these movies have in the tank after noms.

Darkest Hour and The Shape of Water are likely gonna come back down to Earth now that the holidays are over and their highly-marketed wide expansions are out the way but should remain consistent in grosses between nominations and the night of the ceremony (Darkest Hour could finish with a total similar to Atonement if it gets more than just Gary Oldman above the line). Call Me by Your Name could potentially triple its gross like Room did two years ago after nominations were announced, SPC has been intentionally holding off on expanding it wider anyway.

Just now, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Shape of Water isn't expanding anymore?

fuck the world

I'm sure it'll add a few hundred theaters this upcoming weekend (and of course will come back to a bunch of places after Oscar noms are announced) but in terms of wide expansion it's most likely hit a wall.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Shape of Water isn't expanding anymore?

fuck the world

Searchlight said it's going into over 1k theaters this weekend. It'll probably be in the high 1,000s at the end of the month considering barely anything else is coming out

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

She’s also a racial caricature

Everything in that movie is a purposed caricature. And? Isn't Depp's Sparrow a caricature? Isn't Streep's role in Prada a caricature? Isn't Octavia Spencer's role in The Help a caricature?

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Darkest Hour and The Shape of Water are likely gonna come back down to Earth now that the holidays are over and their highly-marketed wide expansions are out the way but should remain consistent in grosses between nominations and the night of the ceremony (Darkest Hour could finish with a total similar to Atonement if it gets more than just Gary Oldman above the line). Call Me by Your Name could potentially triple its gross like Room did two years ago after nominations were announced, SPC has been intentionally holding off on expanding it wider anyway.

We'll see what happens with these movies. Anyways, 15M more in almost a month after a 5.5M weekend is not unreasonable for Darkest Hours.

And 15M more in three weeks for Shape of Water after a 3.5M weekend isn't crazy either.

I am quite disappointed that SOW, 3B and Lady Bird didn't gross more in the year-end holiday season, this is one of the best time to make money for these award players but they are overshadowed by increasingly compacted marketplace especially more and more blockbuster coming to X-mas and NY

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I am quite disappointed that SOW, 3B and Lady Bird didn't gross more in the year-end holiday season, this is one of the best time to make money for these award players but they are overshadowed by increasingly compacted marketplace especially more and more blockbuster coming to X-mas and NY

To be fair, Three Billboards and Lady Bird had to be pushed out from a lot of theaters. They'll get a second chance starting this upcoming weekend (they are coming back to a few theaters in time for the Globes on Sunday).

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, Three Billboards and Lady Bird had to be pushed out from a lot of theaters. They'll get a second chance starting this upcoming weekend (they are coming back to a few theaters in time for the Globes on Sunday).

that is why i feel the studio are producing too much films....722 in a year in just too much! 

Lady bird and 3B would have gross more if it wasn't for those wide release....none of the indies make big number this year in x-mas/NY season like the big short, fences, manchester by the sea, or imitation game.....

• Like 1

With only The Post (Feb 8th) and Shape of Water (Jan 18th) out of the 7(!!!!) films in contention left for me to watch, I feel pretty confident saying Lady Bird should be the frontrunner. It's a masterful movie paired and it has the narrative to get it.  I loved it, even tho I personally prefer 3 Billboards out of the 5 I've seen (and Shape of Water should be more my thing). 

And Call Me by Your Name is not getting Carol'd. If not for Moonlight winning last year I'd give it huge chances. Great film.

14 hours ago, Kraken said:

With only The Post (Feb 8th) and Shape of Water (Jan 18th) out of the 7(!!!!) films in contention left for me to watch, I feel pretty confident saying Lady Bird should be the frontrunner. It's a masterful movie paired and it has the narrative to get it.  I loved it, even tho I personally prefer 3 Billboards out of the 5 I've seen (and Shape of Water should be more my thing). 

And Call Me by Your Name is not getting Carol'd. If not for Moonlight winning last year I'd give it huge chances. Great film.

I would bet we will have more than 7 BP nominees, though we all agree there are 7 movies almost assured for the race (Post, Shape of Water, Dunkirk, 3 Billboards, Call me, Lady Bird, Get Out)

I am still feeling two of these movies are going to be nommed: Darkest Hour, The Big Sick, Florida Project, Mudbound, I Tonya, Phantom thread

2 hours ago, stripe said:

I would bet we will have more than 7 BP nominees, though we all agree there are 7 movies almost assured for the race (Post, Shape of Water, Dunkirk, 3 Billboards, Call me, Lady Bird, Get Out)

I am still feeling two of these movies are going to be nommed: Darkest Hour, The Big Sick, Florida Project, Mudbound, I Tonya, Phantom thread

Yeah, I expect another line-up of 9 films. I'd die of joy if I, Tonya gets a nod. 

2 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

I’m thinking 8 nods, but I could see I, Tonya or Molly’s Game sneaking in for a ninth nod

That's what I'm thinking. Would be nice if I, Tonya made it as a way of Neon making a name for themselves in their first year of being a studio.

• Like 1