1. The Greatest Showman

2. Dunkirk

3. Baby Driver

4. Blade Runner 2049

5. The Shape of Water

Alt: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Total nominations:

13:

The Shape of Water (Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Editing, Cinematography, Production Design, Costume Design, Makeup, Visual Effects, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing)

9:

Dunkirk (Picture, Director, Editing, Cinematography, Production Design, Score, Visual Effects, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing)

8:

Blade Runner 2049 (Adapted Screenplay, Editing, Cinematography, Production Design, Score, Visual Effects, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing)

mother! (Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actress, Cinematography, Costume Design, Score)

7:

Detroit (Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Editing, Production Design, Costume Design, Sound Editing)

5:

The Greatest Showman (Production Design, Costume Design, Makeup, Song, Sound Mixing)

4:

The Papers (Picture, Director, Actress, Original Screenplay)

3:

Baby Driver (Editing, Song, Sound Mixing)

Call Me by Your Name (Picture, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay)

Darkest Hour (Picture, Actor, Makeup)

Last Flag Flying (Picture, Actor, Adapted Screenplay)

2:

Beauty and the Beast (Costume Design, Song)

Coco (Animated, Song)

Get Out (Picture, Original Screenplay)

Roman Israel, Esq. (Actor, Supporting Actor)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Score, Sound Editing)

Suburbicon (Picture, Original Screenplay)

Three Billboards (Actress, Original Screenplay)

Wonderstruck (Cinematography, Score)

So the shape of water with 13 noms , also nobody wins best actor or supporting  ?

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Will Poulter being the sole acting nominee for Detroit sounds like a backlash waiting to happen.

Boyega is lead, so it's going to be tough for him to get in with the amount of veterans unless he's undeniable. 

To paraphrase Branagh you can practically see the thinkpieces from here. Dunkirk is All White Guys All The Time: The Movie. Detroit only gets white people their nominations. Etc etc.

BTW speaking of contenders about/made by black people (other than Get Out), what the hell is going on with Mudbound? It was already at risk cause Netflix, but six months after it premiered they haven't even given it a release date. 

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

To paraphrase Branagh you can practically see the thinkpieces from here. Dunkirk is All White Guys All The Time: The Movie. Detroit only gets white people their nominations. Etc etc.

BTW speaking of contenders about/made by black people (other than Get Out), what the hell is going on with Mudbound? It was already at risk cause Netflix, but six months after it premiered they haven't even given it a release date. 

Mudbound was never going anywhere with Netflix. They'll drop it with little fanfare like they do for 95% of their other content.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Sony just dated Roman Israel, Esq. for November so I'm guessing Denzel will be this year's sole black acting Oscar contender in all likelihood.

They also dated Ridley Scott's newest movie with Mark Wahlberg, Michelle Williams, and Kevin Spacey for December, but Scott's output since the turn of the century has been wildly inconsistent at best and Wahlberg's previous year-end dramas (The Gambler, Patriots Day) have been nonstarters so I'm not expecting that to make much of a splash.

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Sony just dated Roman Israel, Esq. for November so I'm guessing Denzel will be this year's sole black acting Oscar contender in all likelihood.

They also dated Ridley Scott's newest movie with Mark Wahlberg, Michelle Williams, and Kevin Spacey for December, but Scott's output since the turn of the century has been wildly inconsistent at best and Wahlberg's previous year-end dramas (The Gambler, Patriots Day) have been nonstarters so I'm not expecting that to make much of a splash.

I have Denzel and Octavia Spencer getting in, so that's two black nominees. Plus, I'm predicting Bardem, another minority. 

Papers feels like a movie tha sounds like ALL THE OSCARS on paper, but will end up being an also-run in most categories.

Of course given the pedigree involved it's not gonna be this year's Suffragete/Billy Lyn/Unbroken etc. but I don't think it will be a big contender either.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

He's Hispanic. Is that not a minority? 

I don't know officially but I think not. Spanish people are white, Bardem is white/caucasian. They have the same language like most places in South America but they 're not latino. They 're like all the white people of Southern Europe.

On 7/13/2017 at 2:29 PM, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

If absolutely everything goes well for Get Out, I could see it scoring nods in Picture, Director, Screenplay, Editing, Score, Sound, and Cinematography.

Picture, Screenplay and Editing all seem like good bets. I'm a bit iffy on Peele making it in but if this fall's crop fails to deliver, he very well could. Hard time seeing any other nominations beyond those four, though.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2017 at 6:13 PM, filmlover said:

Not that I didn't say the movie looks bad. It actually looks interesting and very del Toro-esque (which is to say the visuals are of course amazing) with a potentially hammy villain performance from Michael Shannon (the best Michael Shannon tbh), so I wouldn't rule out tech noms.

Just saw the trailer. I still think it has a shot at BP.

21 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

He's Hispanic. Is that not a minority? 

So the thing to know here is that Hispanic and Latino are used interchangeably, when they're not quite the same time. When Americans use the word Hispanic, they really mean Latino. This is because in the US Hispanic is officially considered an ethnicity and not a race. So you have white Hispanics/Latinos and non-White Hispanics/Latinos. For example in the 2010 US census about 48% of "Hispanics" identified as white. 16.9m out of 35.3m.

Javier Bardem is Hispanic in the literal sense, since he hails from Spain. But generally people from Spain/Portugal are considered white/caucasian since they're of European heritage, whereas Latinos generally are the result of a mix of European, Native American, and African heritage, depending on the person.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Feel like Dunkirk is pretty much a lock for BP nom now. 

95% right now with an average rating of 8.9/10.

Unless all the other oscar contenders this year blow it out of the water, its getting nominated.

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 1

right now really feeling what's been happening the last few years. Dunkirk picks up best director and a bunch of techs (sounds, editing, score, cinematography all look pretty good) and some more socially relevant smaller film wins best picture. maybe the papers or call me by your name or get out.

• Like 2

Get Out might win the whole thing, but we'll see how things fall out with other movies. I'm not ruling it out. Def think it's getting nominated.

Also I've been tricked before by I HEARD Oscar forecasts, but I heard that Shape of Water is a really legit contender and word is great for it.