grim22

BOT's Top 25 Movies of 2016 Countdown. Reveal complete. Master list in first post.

• Community Manager
Just now, That One Guy said:

If La La Land doesn't make #1 I'm gonna petition to demod Tele.

I'm pretty sure La La Land didn't make it on either Tele or I's list. So your petition would be denied.

• Like 4

Spoiler

Kubo and The Two Strings

TpVPd3A.jpg

k0QfZgh.png

Matthew McConaughey appeared in 2 animated movies in 2016, one was a box office hit, the other was Kubo. This was a surprisingly enjoyable movie, but then again, with Laika’s track record I don’t know why I was surprised. Great storytelling and amazing animation/VFX make this a must watch.

User Reviews:

Maybe this is just the year of animation, or maybe I'm going loonie-toonie, but color me very impressed with this movie.  It was a visually arresting, exciting, and emotionally resonating take that reminded me of a cross between the best of Asian Folklore and a great Legend of Zelda game.

The mature themes of memory, loss, forgiving, looking for the good in what should be bad, parentage, taking care of a dying parent, sacrifice, all of them speak pretty powerfully.  The simplicity of the score takes you in and you're left with something very special.

The only problem I had was that it was very easy to see all of the big plot points coming in advance and the very end doesn't fully utilize and soak in the emotional beats as well as it could have.

Between this and Zootopia (and the Little Prince), it's hard.  But it could very well be not only the best animated film of the year but one of the best movies of the year.  

A

-The Panda

I loved this. Felt like Laika finally got a handle on how to balance their visuals flourishes with an appealing story. One might argue they tried too hard attempting to imitate Pixar's buddy-adventure mold once Monkey and Beetle enter the picture but ultimately I found it pretty easy to forgive. Just a shame it's not really breaking out of its niche as it seemed like it should be able to.

-Tribefan695

• Like 19

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I'll go even further and eat TWO socks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayhawk and misafeco each eat a sock, then regurgitate it, and you eat that.

Three Members, Two Socks

Image result for it is law gif

• Like 9