CJohn

Friday Numbers (The Vow: 15.4M; Safe House: 13.8M; Star Wars 3D: 8.7M; Journey 2: 6.6M)

I love RR too, but lettuce be cereal, Denzel is the reason it did well. Reynolds' strength is playing off of other guys. Well, that's not completely true. He was FANTASTIC in The Nines and Buried. He doesn't deserve all the hate he gets.

He did a good job in the Nines.

Does anyone still lend any credence to internet talk? The internet is a curious beast; when enough fanboys parrot the same sentiment over and over, they start believing that the whole world mirrors their beliefs.

If we went along with the vociferous internet pop culture quasi-cognoscenti, we would believe that:

[*]Everybody hates Titanic and Avatar

[*]Serenity and Firefly were amazingly brilliant masterpieces that were also gigantic financial hits

[*]Absolutely nobody liked the Star Wars prequels

[*]Thor and Captain America were critically adored, Oscar-worthy, and deeply loved by everyone and their granpa, not just comic book fanboys.

[*]Only teenage girls go watch the Twilight films, and any guy who watches those films is gay, "weird", or pussy-whipped.

Well said, and those opinions are fine. It's when people go crazy and inject them into their predictions. I may not like the prequels as films, but I'm not letting that overtly affect my prediction for it. You need to keep a level head. Edited by RichWS
  • Like 1

Does anyone still lend any credence to internet talk? The internet is a curious beast; when enough fanboys parrot the same sentiment over and over, they start believing that the whole world mirrors their beliefs.

If we went along with the vociferous internet pop culture quasi-cognoscenti, we would believe that:

[*]Serenity and Firefly were amazingly brilliant masterpieces that did not flop

[*]Thor and Captain America were critically adored, Oscar-worthy, and deeply loved by everyone and their granpa, not just comic book fanboys.

[*]Only teenage girls go watch the Twilight films, and any guy who watches those films is gay, "weird", or pussy-whipped.

LOL at the last sentence. But oh so true.

This might be the best post I've read so far at BOT. Nicely said.

I edited to add the Twilight films sentiment. You know, the one that says that only gay men, teenage girls and pussywhipped men go watch Twilight. Yep, the internet is just plain stupid.
  • Like 1

I love RR too, but lettuce be cereal, Denzel is the reason it did well. Reynolds' strength is playing off of other guys. Well, that's not completely true. He was FANTASTIC in The Nines and Buried. He doesn't deserve all the hate he gets.

Best thing I've seen Reynolds in performance-wise was Definitely, Maybe.

Clones will be the lowest grossing re-release. It has nothing going for it.

It is actually the only one I don't want to see in theaters. Edited by CJohn

[*]Serenity and Firefly were amazingly brilliant masterpieces that did not flop

aka the VOCAL minority Edited by kyky

Clones will be the lowest grossing re-release. It has nothing going for it.

The last 30-40min of the movie could be worth seeing again in theaters and 3D. The problem I have with Clones is the rather slow pace it moves at after the night club scene and before Anikin and Padme show up on Geonosis. However, the early chase sequence on Coruscant, Obi vs. Jango, the asteroid scene and pretty much the whole sequence on Geonosis is worth seeing again on the big screen and 3D. And I've said it before and I'll say it again; TPM and AOTC need to do well so I can see ROTS, ANH and especially ESB in theaters again. 3d or not, I would gladly go see those 3 movies in theaters. Awesome start for Safe House, The Vow and TPM. Pretty much expected for Journey 2.

The last 30-40min of the movie could be worth seeing again in theaters and 3D.The problem I have with Clones is the rather slow pace it moves at after the night club scene and before Anikin and Padme show up on Geonosis. However, the early chase sequence on Coruscant, Obi vs. Jango, the asteroid scene and pretty much the whole sequence on Geonosis is worth seeing again on the big screen and 3D.And I've said it before and I'll say it again; TPM and AOTC need to do well so I can see ROTS, ANH and especially ESB in theaters again. 3d or not, I would gladly go see those 3 movies in theaters.Awesome start for Safe House, The Vow and TPM. Pretty much expected for Journey 2.

Clones just is the least popular Star Wars movie. TPM has the benefit of being the first one to come out in 3D so it will get curious viewers. And Sith is by far the most well liked of the prequels and has a lot of sequences that will look great in 3D. Clones is just the odd man out.

Amazing that in spite of the fact that it is either the least liked or second least liked in the series, TPM still trumps Beauty and TLK 3D, two universally acclaimed films. I think this just proves that Star Wars is still by far the most powerful movie franchise in America. I think Titanic and Episodes IV through VI are headed to over 40 million when they come out. Also, I asked a few girls in my class whether they were going to see Safe House, and they said yes...but because of Reynolds. Still, I'm very sure that Denzel is the main reason for the success. Plus, the Vow proves that Heigl/Kutcher cheesy romantic comedies are bound for failure, and that romantic movies with realistic, relatable concepts and two likeable, attractive leads are some of the easiest money in Hollywood.