franfar

The Long Shot | May 3 2019 | Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen | Directed by Jonathan Levine

17 hours ago, Frozen said:

This is a great film that got no marketing. It has a $40 million budget it will never make back. 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Is6N/long-shot-movie-trailer

Feel like good metrics.

never topped that list but was a constant number 2 leading up to release here:

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/missing-link-again-tops-studios-tv-ad-spending-1203191479/

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/avengers-endgame-tops-studios-tv-ad-spending-1203195311/

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/avengers-endgame-again-tops-studios-tv-ad-spending-1203201333/

Considering the reviews and buzz it got, Liongates probably added a bit more than first budgeted for it's release, the trailer is probably too bland for a much harder to sales high concept than say the extremely straight forward Tag/Game Night/Blockers

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spectre said:

I just don't understand the point of throwing a comedy with really good reviews directly into the Endgame black hole... Uglydolls belonged in this spot, this didn't.

Must be really wanting those mother day + Memorial weekends legs, nice windows for a nice total if your movie work during that time frame I imagine.

• Like 1

This is up there with Dragon 3 and Endgame as the best movies of 2019 so far. If 7 more movies this year top this one, I'll consider it a great year.

Its box office is such a shame. Please people, go check this one out. Encourage studios to make good movies. With the fate this movie is suffering, I fear it'll send a message about "if we're making a mid-budget movie, it's more important we care more about the release date and marketing rather than quality of whatever we're pouring our money into"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

This is up there with Dragon 3 and Endgame as the best movies of 2019 so far. If 7 more movies this year top this one, I'll consider it a great year.

Its box office is such a shame. Please people, go check this one out. Encourage studios to make good movies. With the fate this movie is suffering, I fear it'll send a message about "if we're making a mid-budget movie, it's more important we care more about the release date and marketing rather than quality of whatever we're pouring our money into"

I don't think the release date is to blame. They were thinking "counter-programming," something that used to work. But seriously, people, support something besides Disney and superheroes. 

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

these days this probably would've been a bigger deal if it had just gone straight to netflix.

The Interview was ahead of the curve in that regard

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

these days this probably would've been a bigger deal if it had just gone straight to netflix.

Rom-coms are all the rage on Netflix, so I guess people just don't wanna shell out the money for them in theaters. 

50 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

There's also something to be said for this being a political comedy, and those almost always fail. 

There’s definitely stuff in the movie that will offend people on either side of the political spectrum so long as they are not well educated and fail to understand what the movie is trying to say, which sadly there is apparently a lot of.

• Like 1