franfar

The Long Shot | May 3 2019 | Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen | Directed by Jonathan Levine

This should do decently. There hasn’t been a R-rated comedy in theaters since What Men Want or Nobody’s Fool. However, those were Romantic Comedies or Dramedies. So... really since possibly The Spy Who Dumped Me? 

So this could do profitable, Seth Rogen hasn’t had a film since Sausage Party(unless you count The Disaster Artist). And plus too Seth Rogen does pretty well in May/June  so this could fare decently with audiences in the midst of superheroes, a pikachu, an assassin, and Will Smith’s doomed genie in a bottle. 

The trailer that I saw for this looks good as well looks like an actual good movie. So we”ll see next week how it turns out.

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

My GM saw this at CinemaCon. Said it was great, but is the type of movie that's gonna rely on WOM rather than a big opening. Which is fine and all, but this month is PACKED. 

Plus, while they are three weeks apart, it's got the R-rated comedy competition from Booksmart, which boasts a feminine angle and better, more rapturous reviews (at the moment). Of course, while I'm not a fan of the elements brought forth by an R-rating, I do want these films to do as well as they can. Hopefully Avengers and all the other blockbusters drive a lot of potential audience members to the theaters, and those potential audience members consider supporting a smaller film like this if the showtimes of the blockbusters are sold out.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Update: I’ve seen it and it’s pretty good and solid

Good to hear. Waiting for showtimes to go up at my theatre so I can snap up tickets.

This is getting of the bigger auditoriums at my theater this weekend while the other two openers are in puny ones so that seems like a decent sign. Guess we'll find out how much the pairing of Rogen and Theron is worth: this is his first live-action appearance onscreen since that Neighbors sequel everybody ignored three years ago and she hasn't found much box office success outside of the action genre.

• Like 1

I've been looking forward to seeing this one for a long time and I really hope it does not get lost and the pandemonium of end game. I know it's probably a different demographic but end game is Just a black hole of a vacuum sucking everything into it and spitting it out. I would hate to see this one get lost in the shuffle because not only does it look good but it's getting a lot of really good positive feedback as well.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Glad to hear this is getting raves from some folks here. @baumer said he loved it and @DAJK mentioned that audiences at his theatre loved it (can't remember if you said you yourself saw it too).

Sunday... I think. If not, definitely Monday 

• Like 1