franfar

The Long Shot | May 3 2019 | Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen | Directed by Jonathan Levine

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think this could be one of the breakouts of the summer.  It looks funny and sweet and different than a lot of films that come out.

Nah, Charlize is box office poison. Won't happen.

I was looking forward to this before I saw the trailer, now definitely won't see it 😕

I will say that teenage actress version of charlize looks quite nice tho. that's the only thing I liked in the trailer.

and the cGI air force one made me laugh.

Edited by Avatree

3 hours ago, Avatree said:

Nah, Charlize is box office poison. Won't happen.

I was looking forward to this before I saw the trailer, now definitely won't see it 😕

I will say that teenage actress version of charlize looks quite nice tho. that's the only thing I liked in the trailer.

and the cGI air force one made me laugh.

Glad you laughed.  Cool.

I liked it and it looks like it could be a nice sized hit.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I liked it and it looks like it could be a nice sized hit.

it was directed by the same guy who directed Snatched. That's not a great precedent. Charlize Theron has not had a hit in her life. I don't see why it would be a "nice sized hit"?

It also doesnt inspire confidence that the studio moved it to be slaughtered by Avengers.

There's nothing dated about it. And just because someone has not had a lot of hits in their life doesn't mean the next film they make can't be a good-sized hit. So I don't think they moved it to get slaughtered I think they moved it because they have confidence in it and it's good counterprogramming. So we'll see what happens. Avatree You basically hate movies anyway so there's really not much that you can say about any movie that really resonates with me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Avatree said:

it was directed by the same guy who directed Snatched. That's not a great precedent. Charlize Theron has not had a hit in her life. I don't see why it would be a "nice sized hit"?

It also doesnt inspire confidence that the studio moved it to be slaughtered by Avengers.

The director also made 50/50, a very warm and modest movie.

Rogen looks like he lost weight for this thing. Nice👍

Just wish he'd shave that wookie off his face. 😆 

That said, this movie looks kinda dumb and this is coming from a longtime fan of his work. I can't see it doing well.

Edit: looks like I may be wrong about the perceived quality of this film.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/long_shot_2019

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun

On 3/10/2019 at 9:34 AM, Avatree said:

it was directed by the same guy who directed Snatched. That's not a great precedent. Charlize Theron has not had a hit in her life.

Fury Road says hi (a summer hit that actually garnered tons of raves for her performance; she literally stole the film from Tom Hardy, its purported star).

Also, Atomic Blonde made a decent amount of money considering its budget.

Yea, this notion that Theron is box office poison is poppycock. She's been in plenty of films that have done well.   Prometheus, Fury Road, Italian Job, Fate of the Furious, Snow White just to name a few.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 3/10/2019 at 8:42 AM, baumer said:

I think this could be one of the breakouts of the summer.  It looks funny and sweet and different than a lot of films that come out.

I agree. When I read the synopsis, I kinda felt like eh, but the trailer is quite winning and the leads seem to have nice a sweet chemistry. Also, one of my favorite movies ever was The American President, which shares some themes and a similar (not identical) premise. I am always interested in watching romantic comedies that try to gently shake up the tropes of the genre.

Looks like I won’t be seeing it now. Looks like stupid Event Cinemas offered the seats to too many people and by the time I noticed the email a couple of hours after I received it there were no more seats. 

Pretty poor process on their part. 

I’ve complained.