CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

Hidden Figures will be shown in classrooms for years. My nieces' elementary school is already doing screenings. An entire generation of kids will grow up watching that movie. Arrival, Hacksaw, and Hell or High Water all have the benefit of being genre movies so they'll show up on "best war movie" and "best western" and "best sci-fi" for years. Manchester is the type of well written and acted indie that gets plaudits for awhile. Fences is an iconic play with tremendous performances. I think it's the kind of pic that gets revisited. Lion....I got nothing. Maybe Dev Patel's hair leads to him getting cast as James Bond?

• Like 9

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, Travod said:

People don't understand the nuance of the term "Oscar bait." La La Land was not Oscar bait (nor Moonlight), it was just Oscar friendly.

The Academy is pretty good at actually steering away from giving nominations to Oscar bait.

• Like 2

Just now, franfar said:

I think we should wait for this stench of a ceremony to pass.... It's possible that it'll be a funny tidbit, but at the end, no one really cares about. The movies are good, so they should be remembered well in spite of this mess

The ceremony overall was good. Kimmel was IMO the best host in years, most of his jokes landed, the skits were kept to a minimum and even the "heroes" bit had a hilarious payoff with "We bought a zoo" and Damon presenting an award. The musical numbers were kept to just the nominees unlike most other years and they paced the show decently well.

• Like 3

Just now, That One Guy said:

Lion is 100% gonna be forgotten, that's for sure.  Okay folks, with the win of Spotlight and Moonlight for the last two years, expect Fist Fight to be our best picture winner next year.

fist-fight-trailer-screen1.jpg

Poor Weinstein, least the film has been commercially successfully. 

• Community Manager

By the way, let's not exaggerate stuff.

1) We have no way of knowing which movies will be remembered or not at this point. None. No matter how good we may think they are now. Hell, last year, I thought people would be remembering Spotlight better because it truly is an amazing film but nope.

2) As for the legacies of La La Land and Moonlight, I can see this becoming a trivia question but other than that, the world, the movies, and the people involved will move on.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Lion is 100% gonna be forgotten, that's for sure.  Okay folks, with the win of Spotlight and Moonlight for the last two years, expect Fist Fight to be our best picture winner next year.

fist-fight-trailer-screen1.jpg

Oops, sorry... "THE LAST KNIGHT WON BEST PICTURE!"

transformers_age_of_extinction_optimus_p

• Like 4

Just now, grim22 said:

The ceremony overall was good. Kimmel was IMO the best host in years, most of his jokes landed, the skits were kept to a minimum and even the "heroes" bit had a hilarious payoff with "We bought a zoo" and Damon presenting an award. The musical numbers were kept to just the nominees unlike most other years and they paced the show decently well.

Yeah, I thought Kimmel was hilarious and up until this, was doing fine. I think this mess is gonna totally overshadow it in the short term though, at least tomorrow when the news is replaying it or whatever