CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

I disagree because of social media and how many award shows there are... it's clearly a very profitable business no? Ratings are always huge despite many not knowing the films they are celebrating...

I disagree the Oscars are nowhere as a big deal when we were growing up.

Edited by Lordmandeep

1. Argo

2. The King's Speech

3.  Birdman

4. Spotlight 

5. 12 Years A Slave

6. The Artist

I'm basing this on rewatchability.  If you asked me both 12YAS and Spotlight would be better films in the years Argo, TKS and Birdman were released. But I don't have clamoring to rewatch those films anytime soon.

And TKS is my fuck the haters winner

2 minutes ago, franfar said:

Yeesh, calm down. He said he wasn't interested in hearing them politicize their speeches. Nothing wrong with that. He didn't say they have no right to.

Oh, whatever. That's always the implication, isn't it? "I'm sick of these celebrities talking about politics!!" Fuck that. They should talk about whatever they want and you should respect that. Actors don't owe us anything. IDK, maybe it's because I come from the acting world and I know people that have made it semi-successful, but actors aren't entitled greedy punks for the most part (nor are athletes or musicians, for that matter). They bust their ass 15 hours a day and sacrifice housing and decent pay for years just to entertain people. This idea that they owe us anything is crap to me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Oh, whatever. That's always the implication, isn't it? "I'm sick of these celebrities talking about politics!!" Fuck that. They should talk about whatever they want and you should respect that. Actors don't owe us anything. IDK, maybe it's because I come from the acting world and I know people that have made it semi-successful, but actors aren't entitled greedy punks for the most part (nor are athletes or musicians, for that matter). They bust their ass 15 hours a day and sacrifice housing and decent pay for years just to entertain people. This idea that they owe us anything is crap to me. 

Well their success is based off our willingness to see them, so we don't owe them anything either, including our time or eyeballs.

What connections do you have with the industry?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

And we increasingly ignore what they say as a result. 

2 minutes ago, franfar said:

Well their success is based off our willingness to see them, so we don't owe them anything either, including our time or eyeballs.

What connections do you have with the industry?

I acted from the time I was 13 to 23 so some of the people I performed with at school and in professional settings have done well for themselves. My best friend actually has a small role in Black Panther! He's a production assistant on Infinity War, too. Let's just say I've been sworn to secrecy. Also, my brother is a successful local rap artist and through helping him with administrative stuff I've come to know ASAP Ferg, Gunplay, Rick Ross, and some other mid to high level rap artists. 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2