CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

I mean for a stupid thing that no one watches or cares about the Oscar board is always jumping the entire year, movies make millions of dollars based on nominations, an entire industry thrives on them, and the Oscars are the most watched telecast in America after the Superbowl and Conference Championships every year- more than the State of the Union, NBA or MLB Finals, or any oher football game. So I don't really buy that narrative fully. They clearly matter to some people, otherwise the Oscars wouldn't be the main topic of conversation on places like this from October to February. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Agree on all counts, Argo bothers me the most. What a joke of a win.

Ironically it was exactly the year where, among the films that had a realistic shot, the stuffy historical biopic (Lincoln) deserved the win, because it was actually lively and well-executed, just the right mix of respectful and entertaining. (I think ZDT was by far the best overall but it had no chance). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

And the vicious cycle continues since everyone who complains about how stupid the Oscars are still tunes in anyway

A bit small, but the ratings were down for the last two shows at least:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/oscars-ratings-down-2016-chris-rock-1201717431/

http://variety.com/2015/tv/ratings/oscar-ratings-abc-telecast-down-10-in-overnights-to-four-year-low-1201439543/

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I thought it was perfect given how long it took in real life. They were in and out fast dude. The hunt is gripping, love all the supporting cast work.

I guess compared to real life it was accurate, but I still felt underwhelmed.

Wasn't the raid in Zero Dark Thirty actually timed to match the time of the real raid exactly? Also, that's how real military operations look. Being in the military ain't a Michael Bay movie. I appreciated that ZDT kept the raid subdued, honestly. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I mean for a stupid thing that no one watches or cares about the Oscar board is always jumping the entire year, movies make millions of dollars based on nominations, an entire industry thrives on them, and the Oscars are the most watched telecast in America after the Superbowl and Conference Championships every year- more than the State of the Union, NBA or MLB Finals, or any oher football game. So I don't really buy that narrative fully. They clearly matter to some people, otherwise the Oscars wouldn't be the main topic of conversation on places like this from October to February. 

Official awards do have a place, I think. For many films Oscar recognition is their best hope of entering into the mainstream conscience. Unfortunately I don't know if there's an easy solution to separate that laudable mission from the star circlejerking and genre bias that plague the proceedings.

• Like 3

For the first time and maybe thirty years I don't think I'm going to watch the Oscars tonight. It's going to be a lala land Massacre and I would imagine every person that gets up to present or to win Awards or anything is going to get political and start bashing the president. If I wanted to watch that I would turn on CNN every night. I'm getting tired celebrities using a platform like this to get political. I would rather them just accept the award thank who they need to think and then get the fuck off the stage. I'll probably end up watching near dark then The Walking Dead and then as I'm going to sleep I will probably put on Aliens tonight.  The only award that remotely interesting is Casey Affleck hopefully winning best actor.

• Like 6

The last time my personal favorite of the year won best picture or even came close was 2006 when the Departed took it home. And I still enjoy the Oscars. I LIKE when people have different tastes or find different movies the best than me. It doesn't make me want to stop watching. It almost makes me want to watch more. 

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

For the first time and maybe thirty years I don't think I'm going to watch the Oscars tonight. It's going to be a lala land Massacre and I would imagine every person that gets up to present or to win Awards or anything is going to get political and start bashing the president. If I wanted to watch that I would turn on CNN every night. I'm getting tired celebrities using a platform like this to get political. I would rather them just accept the award thank who they need to think and then get the fuck off the stage. I'll probably end up watching near dark then The Walking Dead and then as I'm going to sleep I will probably put on Aliens tonight.  The only award that remotely interesting is Casey Affleck hopefully winning best actor.

Celebrities have every right to say whatever they want. They aren't slaves for your entertainment. They're people that do jobs and deserve to use the platform for whatever they want to if people are kind enough to pay them or give them awards. 

• Like 2

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

BTW I really enjoyed Kings Speech but seriously who will remember it in history over The Social Network? Not even that close which is a more powerful film.

The King Speech made 400 million dollars WW and is on TV quite often and has been seen by almost everyone I know.

Is it better then TSN is another debate, but itis not a forgettable best picture winner at all compared to Spotlight and the Artist. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Oscars are growing increasingly irrelevant each year.

But they are still relevant.

I disagree because of social media and how many award shows there are... it's clearly a very profitable business no? Ratings are always huge despite many not knowing the films they are celebrating...

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Celebrities have every right to say whatever they want. They aren't slaves for your entertainment. They're people that do jobs and deserve to use the platform for whatever they want to if people are kind enough to pay them or give them awards. 

Yeesh, calm down. He said he wasn't interested in hearing them politicize their speeches. Nothing wrong with that. He didn't say they have no right to.

• Like 1