CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

2001: A beautiful mind, I prefer gosford park more, and it's shame memento left out nomination, but at least it grab a nod of ori. screenplay

2002: Chicago, clearly a joke, i would rather choose the two tower

2003: LOTR 3, rightfully deserve, am i only one here who find lost in translation borinG?? and I'm find the absence of city of god in best pic category offensive 

2004: Million dollar baby, prefer eternal sunshine

2005: Crash, while everybody complaining , i find crash is not that bad, still brokeback mountain was better

2006: The departed, I like martin, but i dont like this,is not his best, not even close....still martin deserve an award for his life-time career, and it's 2006

2007: No country for old man, It's crime to say there will be blood is better, they are both a very awesome movie in different sense, inhuman to say which is better

2008: Slumdog millionaire, right choice, but still, why the dark knight wasn't here??? the reader inclusion was a oscar prank.

2009 hurt locker; they got this right again

2010: The king speech, I prefer toy story 3

2011: The artist, the 1st hollywood self-congratulatory movie since millennials , never watch, a weak year for oscar too

2012: Argo, again a self-praised movie, but at least it was very thrilling, prefer djanjo unchained

2013: 12 years a slave, too painful and artistic, prefer gravity or Her

2014: Birdman: No problem, approved!!

2015: Spotlight, excellent pick!!! 

4 minutes ago, DAR said:

1. Argo

2. The King's Speech

3.  Birdman

4. Spotlight 

5. 12 Years A Slave

6. The Artist

I'm basing this on rewatchability.  If you asked me both 12YAS and Spotlight would be better films in the years Argo, TKS and Birdman were released. But I don't have clamoring to rewatch those films anytime soon.

And TKS is my fuck the haters winner

Most Oscars films (especially recently) have 0 rewatchability factor going for it. Maybe that's why people shit on the golden man.

Since the 2000s, I think I can count on my fingers which you can watch multiple times: Gladiator, RoTK, Departed & Argo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I acted from the time I was 13 to 23 so some of the people I performed with at school and in professional settings have done well for themselves. My best friend actually has a small role in Black Panther! He's a production assistant on Infinity War, too. Let's just say I've been sworn to secrecy. Also, my brother is a successful local rap artist and through helping him with administrative stuff I've come to know ASAP Ferg, Gunplay, Rick Ross, and some other mid to high level rap artists. 

Oh wow, didn't know that. Interesting.

Well, I personally don't think actors are all entitled. I don't mind hearing what they have to say (even if I'm already inclined to agree), but I can also understand how people tune out when they go political. People already get enough of that stuff in their lives, so why hear it again?

• Like 1

Just now, franfar said:

Oh wow, didn't know that. Interesting.

Well, I personally don't think actors are all entitled. I don't mind hearing what they have to say (even if I'm already inclined to agree), but I can also understand how people tune out when they go political. People already get enough of that stuff in their lives, so why hear it again?

I see your argument, but EVERYTHING is politics in public life. The food we eat, the clothes we wear. How we talk to people and how we think about our society around us when we're in the damn grocery store. Everything traces back to politics, and those concerns are heightened right now. I'm just not one of those people willing to accept the line "I hate politics and don't want to hear about it." Everything is political. baumer loved Get Out, and that move is about as socially and politically important as anything at the Oscars! It's impossible to separate art from their larger social context context at this point. IDK, I just don't think we should close our eyes to stuff because it annoys us to hear it. I'm with Cal- people with a platform have a responsibility in 2017 to use it. But I'm also with Pink- they should be thoughtful and eloquent, not just name drop things for the sake of praise. Ali's speech at SAG was an incredibly wonderful example. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i traced this back. the last time my favourite movie of the year won best picture was Unforgiven 24 years ago. this year not nominated.

I think I'd have to go as far back as The Godfather. :lol:

Edited by Jake Gittes

The Oscar became less relevant in the popularity sense when a large proportions of household with a tv were watching them.

But in a other way, they became more relevant, "Oscar type movies" seem to almost need the award season platform to get made now.

6 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

Most Oscars films (especially recently) have 0 rewatchability factor going for it. Maybe that's why people shit on the golden man.

Since the 2000s, I think I can count on my fingers which you can watch multiple times: Gladiator, RoTK, Departed & Argo.

No country for old man was much better on rewatch than the first watch for me.

As for the political stuff, I think I fully agree with the: They should speak if they want too, and people that do not like it should probably just not watch it specially in a year like this, but I suspect many will hate watch it to be involved in the talk.

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Yeah that's right guys, The Reader and Frost Nixon were better films than TDK. Milk & Benjamin Button. Lmao. Come on Academy you were a JOKE. Not to mention no Nolan nomination either. 

One of them was

The Reader was the only 2008 nom of the five that stands out to me as "Wow, now that movie certainly didn't deserve to be there." I mean TDK is my favorite of 2008 by a mile but still. The other four were all varying degrees of pretty darn good. But yea The Reader blew. I actually watched it just to see if it actually did, and it did!