CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

37 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I get your point but I couldn't disagree more. I believe that film is one of the most potent ways to make lasting change, and the Academy Awards are the biggest night in film, so eh. If you believe that film/art can have any role in mobilizing people or fighting for something positive - and it obviously does- then I think there's something to be said for the awards for that art having political consideration. But I know no one here tends to agree. 

I get what your saying but the thing is most people tend to forget the Oscars the day after they end 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'd agree with the first three, but Spotlight really rocked me. A seriously good film. So glad it won over the Revenant and Big Short which were gaining momentum, and I liked those films fine. I rewatched the Artist and it didn't quite hold up as well on the small screen, but damned if I didn't love it in the theater. It may be a stunt but I would rather watch a really good stunt than the alternative. 

Spotlight is really solid, the only thing that holds me back from loving it is the times where it breaks its supposed discipline with things like Ruffalo's monologuing. Of the four big contenders last year it's only behind MMFR, yeah. In a just world Liev Schreiber would have swept the supporting actor awards. An even more perfect example of less-is-more acting than Rylance in Bridge of Spies. 

The Artist may not have a lot on its mind but it's a sincere and unpretentious love letter with some clever touches. And if it got anyone in the modern audience more into silent cinema, even better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I feel like Actress is really close too. Huppert has the support but Stone has the advantage of being in the Best Picture winner. I'm reminded of Jennifer Lawrence and Emmanuelle Riva (RIP) from four years ago where the young starlet eventually prevails. We shall see.

Stone is definitely winning at this point, more or less. 

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Michael B. Jordan was the Best lead Actor performance of last year, no doubt for me. Also weird that Tom Hanks is one of the most beloved actors in Hollywood and he couldn't get buzz for a nom for his best performance in 20 years last year. Bridge of Spies rocked. 

Hanks hasn't been nominated since 2001, even being snubbed for Captain Phillips. He's well liked in the industry, but the academy, in general, doesn't think he has given an Oscar-worthy performance in a long time.

He's also such a great guy, that he usually pushes for the supporting actors to be nominated over him.

I think the only recent BP winners I have rewatched on purpose were Argo and Birdman. Last year it won the movie I liked the least from all the nominees. It is a good movie, but as a BP winner? Heh.

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Zero Dark Thirty was the best picture of 2012 imo, really biased but it's easily one of the best films of this decade so far. 

That was a really good movie to see in theaters but..

Spoiler

They didn't show enough of the raid. It would've been so much more exciting

Just now, CJohn said:

I think the only recent BP winners I have rewatched on purpose were Argo and Birdman. Last year it won the movie I liked the least from all the nominees. It is a good movie, but as a BP winner? Heh.

The Big Short and MMFR were way more deserving.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

My point is that regardless of how you feel about them, they're basically a cross between a industry/trade show and a prom, and many voters vote accordingly (for many various, petty reasons -- some of which may be altruistic but often come down to who they personally like).

And the vicious cycle continues because everyone who complains about how stupid the Oscars are still tunes in anyway

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Just now, franfar said:

That was a really good movie to see in theaters but..

Hide contents

They didn't show enough of the raid. It would've been so much more exciting

I thought it was perfect given how long it took in real life. They were in and out fast dude. The hunt is gripping, love all the supporting cast work.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

2010s Best Picture Winners Ranked

1. Spotlight

2. 12 Years a Slave

3. The Artist 

4. Spotlight

5. The King's Speech

6. Birdman

So... Argo is 4th I guess? :ph34r: